• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

talex

Retire #'s 18,25,33,96

Rate this topic

I realize this one might get some flack, however I would fully advocate once these guys retire, placing their numbers on the rafters along with Stevie Y, anyone who has watched the 4 cup runs knows how much a part of this these guys have been. Obviously Lids will get #5 retired and although I doubt the others will... if it were a vote I think it would be a very close and hotly contested one... so I lay the discussion before you...

If they manage to win their 5th cup in the next 2 years, it will only serve to make this a real possibility...

My vote would for placing #18 - Maltby, #25 McCarty, #33 Draper and #96 Homer in the rafters

That's just me...

Edited by talex

I think the length of time that Maltby, McCarty, and Draper have been here--and especially each of their last contracts--are tribute enough. No way those guys are on par with the retired-number players. Important players, great guys, yes... but retire their numbers? No. Holmstrom's won't be retired either.

I realize this one might get some flack, however I would fully advocate once these guys retire, placing their numbers on the rafters along with Stevie Y, anyone who has watched the 4 cup runs knows how much a part of this these guys have been. Obviously Lids will get #5 retired and although I doubt the others will... if it were a vote I think it would be a very close and hotly contested one... so I lay the discussion before you...

If they manage to win their 5th cup in the next 2 years, it will only serve to make this a real possibility...

My vote would for placing #18 - Maltby, #25 McCarty, #33 Draper and #96 Homer in the rafters

That's just me...

I love those guys, but in the rafters? No, no, no and no.

3 - Andreas Lilja

Get it retired!

Sarcasm is my genre, but this isn't sarcastic, it's just an insult to long time great wings. The four guys mentioned are guys who have done the dirtiest work for us for long periods of time. The Grind line and Homer have been true Wings. Why insult them by comparing retiring their numbers to retiring Lilja?

I don't see this happening. The closest comparison I can come up with on a dime is Trevor Linden, but he really was the heart and soul of the Canucks. Draper, Malts, Mac and Homer have all been hugely important to this team, but I don't think they compare favourably to Howe, Abel, Delvecchio, Sawchuk, Lindsay or Yzerman.

Absolutely not. You're getting your sentiments mixed up with your judgment. You want McCarty to be hanging next to Howe? This team has had a great cast of players with wonderful personalities, but retiring a player in Detroit requires the type of person who not only helped the team win, but also influenced the very game of hockey. It requires league-wide recognition. #5 is a candidate. #91 would have been if he'd stuck around for more cups.

They were all great players, but the rafters are reserved for the best players. The only one that has a chance is 96 and that is a slim to none chance.

There is absolutely no way they belong in the rafters with the Greats in this storied franchise.

However, I do think it is nessasary for them to be honored for their contributions with something such as a grind line statue or pictures in the concourse of the Joe (or any future arena). They were important pieces that deserve to be remembered and celebrated, but are not worthy of being up there with the likes of a Steve Yzerman. No way...

Edited by 19Hockeytown5

To paraphrase the sheriff from Jaws, "were gonna need a bigger rafter."

As much as I've enjoyed watching them over the years all I can say is no way. Had they not been on the Wings they would be just hockey players. Not to diminished what they have done here but geez.

Edited to exclude Nick from the regular hockey players remark.

Edited by softshoes

Guest mindfly

Only lidström deserves to hang in the rafters..so far... if zetterberg and datsyuk continue with their careers and add another stanley they probably end up there as well

No. Being around forever doesn't merit such an honor. Yes, all were great for this franchise at one time, but not that great. Its much harder to get your number retired than it is to get into the Hall of Fame.

Sarcasm is my genre, but this isn't sarcastic, it's just an insult to long time great wings. The four guys mentioned are guys who have done the dirtiest work for us for long periods of time. The Grind line and Homer have been true Wings. Why insult them by comparing retiring their numbers to retiring Lilja?

i hope ur kidding, relax

What a lolzarific respone :)

Yzerman, Lidstrom and Fedorov are great representatives from this past generation.

Guys like Holmstrom, Maltby, McCarty and Draper will definitely become honored Red Wings alumni, and possibly even get into the Red Wings Hall of Fame: http://www.redwingalumni.com/hallOfFameRedWings.html

Edited by egroen

I know you're not serious. I love Drapes and Mac a lot, and have always had great affection for them, but they absolutely do not deserve to have their numbers retired. Neither does Malts or Homer for that matter.

Of the Wings CURRENTLY playing, the only ones I can honestly foresee having their numbers retired are Nick, Pavs and Hank.