• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
redwinger4747

I blame Crosby

Rate this topic

. Okay, there isn't a great example of a player doing exactly what I said, taking less money right off the bat, in their prime, to really show commitment to wining. Someday maybe, someone will...

what about Hoss?

Anyway, I hate Crosby so I will agree with this just because I don't like him.

I can't believe I'm defending Sid here, but...

It's not his fault. Blame Shero for throwing money at two players like he's Glen Sather, pre-salary cap, without any consideration for supporting cast. Blame Shero for mortgaging the team's future with the whole Hossa trade. Blame Shero for taking so long to recognize one of the locker room cancers in Michel Therrien.

I think all NHL players are overpaid, honestly - you're playing a game, for @#$%'s sake - but Sid's the poster boy of the league. His salary's not the issue. It's Shero's handling of the team dynamic on the Pens.

I agree with this as well, Shero made all of these mistakes. But just because its Crosby, the NHL's golden boy, the next Yzerman or Gretzky, the classic Canadian who dreamt every night of winning the Stanley Cup, and now he has no wingers because he's eating up all the team's salary cap (and set the standard for Malkin to follow).

what about Hoss?

Anyway, I hate Crosby so I will agree with this just because I don't like him.

Hossa signed for a small discount, probably $0.5-1 million range, but it's not a very good comparison at all, seeing as it was only a one year deal and also due to the point in his career. That said, he's probably a better example than most.

It will be interesting to see what Hossa signs as his next contract. To stay a Wing, he'll need to take a discount, but I doubt it would be that signficant, getting his cap hit down might be accomplished similar to a Zetterberg type contract, in which case, I wouldn't really see it as a discount and I'm now starting to wonder if the Wings would really do that.....committ to such a long term contract to a guy that's only been here for half a year so far....but he's got a good track record, so they just might do it.

Okay, I just typed a long reply to this absurd, BS post, but I wasn't logged in properly.

I'll keep this version short. Please provide me with a single, just one, example of a Wing, scratch that, any player in league history that signed for about $1-1.5 million less than he could of when they were a similar situation to Crosby.

Not only did he take a discount, he's getting blamed for taking too much now? I thought the bashing of Crosby on here was somewhat funny, but this is getting a little weird.

Zetterberg gave a nice healthy discount when he signed in 2005 for 4 years at $2.65m. Even in '05 dollars, that is a steep discount for someone who was runner-up for the Calder, already being compared to Yzerman and tearing it up in the Swedish League.

Yeah, with the endorsement dollars Crosby brings in (probably more than his salary), it was a good opportunity for him to make an even stronger statement than he did -- say if he took a long term deal at $7.5m -- and it would have put the onus on Malkin to sign for similar dollars. But I'm certainly glad he did not!

I wish i made 8 mill to hit around a puck....

anyways cant blame the guy for that he is 21 and is making the big bucks... I am pretty sure that is about it.. He will be a vet looking for a team to win a cup with prolly and sign for super cheap sometime but for now it is about the $$

Edited by Duck Guy

You can't be blaming the player for signing the contract! Sure Crosby is currently making more than guys that are better than him, i.e. Datsyuk, but that's the way things shook out. So what? Personally, I don't want other teams emulating the Wings' salary structure.

Enough Crosby talk. I'm going to try and turn this thread into something else.

How about that Evgeni Malkin?

"He's definitely one of the best five forwards in the league, no question," Ottawa captain Daniel Alfredsson said, adding that Malkin stands out because of his physicality.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburgh...s/s_611796.html

"He's so strong on his skates. He can beat you one-on-one. He's not just a goal-scorer. He's a shooter and a passer, and he's really good at drawing attention and finding the open guy."

People want to compare him to Mario but I honestly think he's a really young Sergei Fedorov.

I can't believe I'm defending Sid here, but...

It's not his fault. Blame Shero for throwing money at two players like he's Glen Sather, pre-salary cap, without any consideration for supporting cast. Blame Shero for mortgaging the team's future with the whole Hossa trade. Blame Shero for taking so long to recognize one of the locker room cancers in Michel Therrien.

I think all NHL players are overpaid, honestly - you're playing a game, for @#$%'s sake - but Sid's the poster boy of the league. His salary's not the issue. It's Shero's handling of the team dynamic on the Pens.

Bingo. I think there's more of a cultural thing going on there that's causing a lot of problems. Start with Hossa. They tried to re-sign him, he wasn't interested, citing a better chance to win the Cup in Detroit. At the time, that didn't seem to hold that much water, considering the Pens had just made the finals--for all intents and purposes, they were poised to be contenders for years. People even compared the series to the Islanders-Oilers series in 1983 and 1984, one dynasty passing the torch to the next. I'm now of the belief that there was something more that Hossa saw with that organization, that he knew the train wreck was coming. It might also explain why he seems so willing to take a discount to sign with us--he's seen the other side of organizational competence (in Atlanta and Ottawa too) and knows he has a good thing with the Wings.

Keep going with Malone. I'm not going to claim to be all that familiar with his situation, but he's a Pittsburgher (since his dad played there) who was allowed to leave. He claims to have not gotten a "serious" offer from the Pens--could it be because of a rumored rift with Therrien? If so, shame on Shero for siding with his terrible and now fired coach over a heart-and-soul guy like Malone, who pre-dates the Pens being good, was a fan favorite and a top-six forward anywhere in the league.

So basically, their two best wingers walk, and they replace them with...Miro Satan and Ruslan Fedotenko? Holy mediocrity Batman. Combine that with the Gonchar injury and you get the Eastern Conference champs possibly missing the playoffs.

Long story short, something stinks with that organization, and it ain't Crosby.