• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

oldredbarnman

Happiness Is Being A Red Wing's Fan

Rate this topic

I have been a Red Wings fan for around 40 years, and have been a season ticket holder for 22.

As Wing's fans, we care so much about our team, and expect so much from them, that we get mad when games, or even certain plays or calls don't go are way. When they lose a few in a row, the blame is thrown around at everything, and everyone. The team has struggled, and still with a record most teams would die for, alot this year. Even some of the games we've won, have been hard. Personally, I don't know where we'd be without Marian Hossa.

With that said, we should be very thankful for the success this team and organization have had over the years.

I know the passion the people on this website have for OUR team. Now imagine having that passion and being a Blackhawks, Bruins, or Flyers fan, just to give an example.

The Blackhawks last won the cup in 1961. They've been in 4 finals since then, 1965-71-73-92.

The Bruins have lost their last 5 appearances; 1974-77-78-88-90. They last won in 1972.

The Flyers have also lost their last 5 since winning in 1975. 1976-80-85-87-97.

Losing in 1995 was tough, but thank goodness we've won our last 4 times, so you don't even think of '95 at all. I can't imagine the heartbreak of losing each time you are at the cusp of a championship. It's always nice to have your last time there a winner, so even if you don't make it for awhile, you have fond memories of it.

I guess I'm just saying, be grateful for what we have. We aren't going to win every game, or every cup, but we are the model that every other NHL franchise wants to be, and we are the reigning Stanley Cup Champions.

True say. I'm glad that I've grown up a Red Wings fan in their prosperous era, in a place surrounded by Maple Leaf fans who expect to lose every night and who have no faith whatsoever in their franchise's ability to put a consistently good product on the ice.

Cheers, wingnuts :cup:

Guest Shoreline

As hard on our team as we may be, just appreciate being able to see the team be consistently good. How long has it been since the team has missed the playoffs?

I have been a Red Wings fan for around 40 years, and have been a season ticket holder for 22.

As Wing's fans, we care so much about our team, and expect so much from them, that we get mad when games, or even certain plays or calls don't go are way. When they lose a few in a row, the blame is thrown around at everything, and everyone. The team has struggled, and still with a record most teams would die for, alot this year. Even some of the games we've won, have been hard. Personally, I don't know where we'd be without Marian Hossa.

With that said, we should be very thankful for the success this team and organization have had over the years.

I know the passion the people on this website have for OUR team. Now imagine having that passion and being a Blackhawks, Bruins, or Flyers fan, just to give an example.

The Blackhawks last won the cup in 1961. They've been in 4 finals since then, 1965-71-73-92.

The Bruins have lost their last 5 appearances; 1974-77-78-88-90. They last won in 1972.

Losing in 1995 was tough, but thank goodness we've won our last 4 times, so you don't even think of '95 at all. I can't imagine the heartbreak of losing each time you are at the cusp of a championship. It's always nice to have your last time there a winner, so even if you don't make it for awhile, you have fond memories of it.

I guess I'm just saying, be grateful for what we have. We aren't going to win every game, or every cup, but we are the model that every other NHL franchise wants to be, and we are the reigning Stanley Cup Champions.

Amen, and thanks for taking the time to express how a lot of us feel. You just said it better. :)

f*** you. Detroit Sucks.

:hysterical: That's cute.

Also, I agree 100% with the OP. We should really appreciate what we have. The Wings have a hockey dynasty right now.. but it won't stay that way forever. Let's cool our jets and enjoy it while it lasts.

I agree with everyone, we need to appreciate what we have.

* Four Cups in 11 years…that’s as many as the Rangers have ever. It’s more than the Blackhawks. It’s just one shy of the Bruins. We’re not exactly talking about expansion teams here. In fact, the Canadiens, Leafs, Bruins and Oilers are the only teams to beat our Cups over the last 11 seasons IN THEIR ENTIRE HISTORY.

* We go into every single season basically assuming a division championship, and the season’s an unmitigated failure if we lose in the first two rounds.

* We have the management in place that makes people want to stay for less money, and no matter how tough our personnel situation is, we’re confident that it’ll be worked out in the best way possible.

* Our franchise is tremendously stable despite the tough times. Don’t underestimate that—fans of at least a few teams can legitimately be concerned whether their team will exist next year.

* Even on a smaller scale…whenever I’m watching a game and we fall behind, I don’t really get worried about whether we can win, basically because of how freaking good we are. When we were down 2-0 yesterday, how many of you said “oh crap, we’re screwed?” Probably not that many. Think Rangers fans react the same way? I highly doubt it.

There’s plenty more, but that’s enough to get the point across. We’re freaking spoiled, so enjoy it, because someday we’ll be one of the 11 teams fighting for the last four playoff sports in the West.

Personally, I don't know where we'd be without Marian Hossa.

What's scary is that without Marian Hossa, we might be battling for one of the last playoff spots. With a mostly intact team from a Cup-winning year. That tells you a lot.

But overall I agree, we have to be more optimistic and realistic. I still have faith the Wings will turn it up a notch come playoffs.

Guest mindfly

Still they must put the best team on the ice every night but they are not doing this and haven't been doing it since pre-salary cap era, they need to stop with the loyalty thing and just put the best team out there for example, now they need to get a better goaltender.. it's so obvious.

Thanks for this.

It also made me think of just how well other teams are playing this year & we're one of the top teams. Everyone in the West is fighting for a playoff spot. You lose two or three in a row & you're out. So, we're getting the best effort of every team every night & on top of that, these teams are better than they have been in the past.

Go Wings.

Still they must put the best team on the ice every night but they are not doing this and haven't been doing it since pre-salary cap era, they need to stop with the loyalty thing and just put the best team out there for example, now they need to get a better goaltender.. it's so obvious.

Bugger off, crybaby.

You have a really bizarre obsession with our "loyal" players. Do you have pictures of Maltby on your wall that you light on fire every morning before crying yourself to sleep?

The Wings teams since the Cap was in place have been dominant. They didn't always win the Cup but they had amazing players and teams.

You need to shut up once in a while and think before you post. Who would you rather replace Maltby, Draper, McCarty, Holmstrom, Osgood with for the same cost and value? Yeah, let's get rid of our tried-and-true, hard working players for a bunch of 4th liners making too much money with no work ethic.

Guest mindfly

A 4th line is suppose to bring grit and energy to the table, maltby, mccarty doesn't do that, and draper has the wheels but get tossed around too much these days, he was good like in 2004... A goalie is suppose to make some saves and not f*** up on a daily basis, osgood is struggling and he has been doing that for most of his career..

Holmström is a key player and best in front of the net, never mention him in the same sentence as maltby. mccarty, kopecky and whatnot.

I would have rather have a fourth line of Helm, abdelkader, ritola or someone every day of the week instead of the current one...

Edited by mindfly

I'm not sure I understand. You're saying we haven't put the best team on the ice since before the salary cap. Yet we just won the Cup last year?

Before the cap, the Wings had the best team money could buy. Now? We have the best team loyalty, hard work, dedication, and a great organization can hold onto.

There's nothing wrong with our team. We have more talent squashed onto one roster than we know what to do with. We have depth oozing out of our ears. We can't play perfect every night, but we play perfect enough to keep us a top contender.

And in today's NHL - that's really all you can ask for, don't you think?

i love these threads! sometimes we all get hung up on the little problems and forget about the big picture. we're still THE DETROIT RED WINGS. we're still the man. we have so much talent at every level. we always make the playoffs and finish very high in the standings. we're a serious cup contender EVERY YEAR. and there's such a good hockey culture around detroit. so many knowledgeable and hardcore fans.

you know. like all of us!

Guest Shoreline
They've been in the playoffs the last 17 seasons and I think that is still the current professional sports record. The last time they failed to make the playoffs was 1989-90.

Rhetorical question, friend. :lol:

Is it not possible for you to give praise without pissing and moaning? Do you even enjoy watching hockey?

I can see it now with you and kids later:

"WHAT? AN 'A' AND NOT AN 'A+'? TIME FOR A NEW KID. :battle: :flamingmad:"

I became a Red Wings fan when I heard that several players, Yzerman, Shanahan and Chelios, I think, agreed to take a pay cut so the tean could sign Brett Hull. I dont know if that story is true or not, but the Red Wings are a pure hockey team. They do not have an "enforcer" or a "goon" whose job it is to take out an opposing player. If they have a fault, as an NHL team, its that they do not do enought hitting. Last year, they added enough grit to their play to win the cup. I havent taken the time to do it, but I believe if you added up the points for each NHL team in the league for the last 10 or 15 years, the Red Wings would be on top. If you like skating, passing and shooting and puck control you should love the Red Wings.

They are not perfect but they are as good as any team in the NHL and way better than most. I can give you some things that irritate me, for example, they seem to go into a daze in the last two minutes of a close game and cant clear their own zone. They dont routinely do a lot of hitting, and in the NHL a physical team will beat a finess team four out of seven games. But overall, they are a great team and I am proud to be a Red Wings fan. Joe S

Rhetorical question, friend. :lol:

Is it not possible for you to give praise without pissing and moaning? Do you even enjoy watching hockey?

I can see it now with you and kids later:

"WHAT? AN 'A' AND NOT AN 'A+'? TIME FOR A NEW KID. :battle: :flamingmad:"

Guest Crymson

Mike Illitch, Ken Holland and Mike Babcock know more about team ownership, general management and coaching than you will likely ever forget. Unfortunately, your head is jammed so far up your own ass that you can't see it.

This team is successful in large part BECAUSE of "the loyalty thing," you moron. Sometimes I wonder if you really are this shortsighted, or if you're just after all getting a good laugh at our expense. I find it hard to believe that anyone could really be quite so surreal as you seem to be.

Mike Illitch, Ken Holland and Mike Babcock know more about team ownership, general management and coaching than you will likely ever forget. Unfortunately, your head is jammed so far up your own ass that you can't see it.

This team is successful in large part BECAUSE of "the loyalty thing," you moron. Sometimes I wonder if you really are this shortsighted, or if you're just after all getting a good laugh at our expense. I find it hard to believe that anyone could really be quite so surreal as you seem to be.

He's still a kid. Drapes and Malts were suiting up for the Wings when he was still tinkling his nappies. How can someone understand loyalty that lasts longer than they've been cognizant? It's something you understand when you've experienced it, and it only gets stronger as you go through life and realize how important the people around you are to you. It's not if you are able to live without loyalty, it's whether or not you would want to.

The Wings have had a tradition of loyalty long enough that the current players have seen how important it was to those before them, and the younger ones are seeing it in action. This is why we get guys like Hank and Pav here for less than they could make on the open market. It's because they've seen Lidstrom do it, and because they've seen how Drapes and Malts are treated.

You can't buy loyalty. You have to earn it, and it's a two-way street. Players are loyal to teams that are loyal to players.