• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Blueliner

Holland:"Wings aren't seeking goalie"

Rate this topic

Guest Shoreline
Yeah, and Tim Thomas was also an underrated goalie that nobody wanted, once.

Well there really isn't anything wrong with Flip either, so I dunno why you want to throw in three goalies on this team and take away one piece of last year's cup run.

no offense here, folks, but what did you expect him to say? :unsure:

I don't think anyone realistically thought Kenny was going to come out and go, "Yeah folks, Osgood sucks ass. We're unloading him. We'll start the bidding at $0.05."

I think that this was just (momentary) validation of what most people already thought; the Wings are going to stick with Osgood until they can no longer afford to this season.

Yeah, if I'm Florida.

Look. If we want a very good goalie that doesn't have the playoff experience we don't need to trade anybody. We have him. His name is Conklin.

IF we were going to trade for a goalie which we are not, it would have to either be a goalie with playoff experience or a superstar like Luongo. We already have COnklin and I don't tthink Luongo is available.

Here it is straight from the man's mouth:

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic...0341/1128/rss16

That's Holland all the way- that's it buddy, Osgood he's got to come around cuz don't you know in Detroit its all about Goaltending on the cheap like its been for years so we can keep doling out fat longterm contracts for todays high profile forwards. Imagine Zetterberg 12yrs ; Datsuk 9yrs.. What's next Hossa 7yrs.; Franzen 8yrs. That's why he's hoping his little battler Osgood comes around. For sure you couldn't trade him , who want him ? Its become apparent that Detroit is far from being the goaltender hub it once was. Anyone out there ever watch Roy Edwards play when the Wings were middle of the pack contender? Let me tell you he stole more than a few low scoring games from the Montreal Canadians in the their glory days. The last Wings goalie with grit was Mike Vernon and he had skill to match. Ya he really was really shafted for his great efforts that delivered a Cup for us against the Avalanche which was a real war. Not like the cake walk we had against the Pens last year; even though Osgood almost made it closer than it was. Remember how shaky he was in the last two games. And that fumble bumble he did in the dying seconds of the final game where the Pens almost tied it with second left. No I'll take Holland at his word about no goaltending changes. But this year its not going to be the cake walk it was last year, its going to be a grind through and through. Of course that's even with we get through the first round condidering the number of goals this team now gives up per game. Now if we got Jay Bowmeester the equation would change. But the likelyhood of that happening ; well you know its like us retaining the Cup with what we presently have in Nets - fat chance.

Guest MrSandMan
no offense here, folks, but what did you expect him to say? :unsure:

He could have dodged the question or said something with less affirmative. Holland's comment was not only bold, it was affirmative and sure to the point.

He could of said "You know in the NHL nothing can be ruled out completely" Instead, he affirmed that "Wings are NOT seeking a goalie" cut/dry and straight to the point.

Face it guys, there is NO WAY in heck we are trading for a goalie. It just isn't happening. Not only are we up against the cap, but it would be foolish to give away an of our future talent for a goalie at this point given the young goalies we have in GR. Furthermore, Chris Osgood has led us to cups in the past and I truly believe that he has it in him again. Have I had doubts recently? Sure, I've even commented in some threads that despite my extraordinarily high pain threshold, Osgood's play has really started to piss me off this year.

But....

I still believe he can give us a decent shot once the playoffs hit, I feel that he's one solid game away from getting his A-game back. And you know what? If Osgood gets blown out in the first game or two of the playoffs, they will not hesitate to stick Conklin in net and we would have a situation similar to last year at that point. Granted Conklin's playoff experience (or lack thereof) is a concern, but its not like we need either of our goalies to play out of their minds or steal games and I believe that Conklin is thoroughly capable of playing average or above average hockey even in the playoffs.

Face it guys, there is NO WAY in heck we are trading for a goalie. It just isn't happening. Not only are we up against the cap, but it would be foolish to give away an of our future talent for a goalie at this point given the young goalies we have in GR. Furthermore, Chris Osgood has led us to cups in the past and I truly believe that he has it in him again. Have I had doubts recently? Sure, I've even commented in some threads that despite my extraordinarily high pain threshold, Osgood's play has really started to piss me off this year.

But....

I still believe he can give us a decent shot once the playoffs hit, I feel that he's one solid game away from getting his A-game back. And you know what? If Osgood gets blown out in the first game or two of the playoffs, they will not hesitate to stick Conklin in net and we would have a situation similar to last year at that point. Granted Conklin's playoff experience (or lack thereof) is a concern, but its not like we need either of our goalies to play out of their minds or steal games and I believe that Conklin is thoroughly capable of playing average or above average hockey even in the playoffs.

Your a real optimist , but do me a favour go back and read my post this not about can Osgoog do it again or not . Sorry its about doing goaltending on the cheap in Detroit. And ya what about our so-called homegrown talent in the nets where's Howards's chance. Don't you think he shold have been called up by now. Look what Burke is doing with Pogge in Toronto . Its called letting your goaltender get his ears wet in the big league - how come its not happening here with our young talent. That would perhaps do more for Osgood then Holland's half baked sentimental dribble ' Ozzie can make it back he's done it before. You don't fool me for second Holland the way you hand out those fat long term contracts. Time to sell more Pizza I guess?

Your a real optimist , but do me a favour go back and read my post this not about can Osgoog do it again or not . Sorry its about doing goaltending on the cheap in Detroit. And ya what about our so-called homegrown talent in the nets where's Howards's chance. Don't you think he shold have been called up by now. Look what Burke is doing with Pogge in Toronto . Its called letting your goaltender get his ears wet in the big league - how come its not happening here with our young talent. That would perhaps do more for Osgood then Holland's half baked sentimental dribble ' Ozzie can make it back he's done it before. You don't fool me for second Holland the way you hand out those fat long term contracts. Time to sell more Pizza I guess?

But we've won two cups with "cheap" goaltending. Further, I personally embrace the way Holland builds his teams. He builds defense first, fills out with talented offensive players that are defensively capable and then fills in the goaltending need. In my view, goaltending is one of the riskiest positions to give long term contracts too. Look at the likes of Jim Carey, Jose Theodore, Khabibulin, and a whole host of other names. Ever since the cap era begin (granted its still a short time period) Holland has not splurged on goaltending, focusing on solid, proven players that aren't going to blow you away, but tend to get the job done.

Hasek - past his prime, but still capable.

Osgood - Never been known as a goaltender that will steal games, but tons of experience in tough situations.

Conklin - solid backup for cheap

You gotta sacrifice somewhere, if you are going to pay a guy $6MM to tend for you, guys like Hossa or Franzen or Hudler cannot be afforded.

Toronto has nothing to play for. The Red Wings are playing to win another championship. Goaltending for "cheap" has produced four championships in 11 years. What exactly are you complaining about?

Toronto has nothing to play for. The Red Wings are playing to win another championship. Goaltending for "cheap" has produced four championships in 11 years. What exactly are you complaining about?

And by the same token, cheap goaltending hasn't produced at least four cups in 11 years.

Well there really isn't anything wrong with Flip either, so I dunno why you want to throw in three goalies on this team and take away one piece of last year's cup run.

Osgood's sv% and GAA might be 2 reasons. Not showing much signs of improvement, another.

Does anyone really think if Osgood is playing the way he is now come April that he will start? Do you think Holland and Babcock will piss away a legit shot at the cup w/ this team? I don't.

Edited by clutchngrab

We will see come playoff time. I think this stategy of cheap competent goaltending has had its run , barring a miracle from Conklin of course.

We will see come playoff time. I think this stategy of cheap competent goaltending has had its run , barring a miracle from Conklin of course.

I agree, teams now know to simply drill the puck on us as much as possible and go offense all the way, leaving defence to a 2nd priority and it's worked in quite a few games this year.

I agree, teams now know to simply drill the puck on us as much as possible and go offense all the way, leaving defence to a 2nd priority and it's worked in quite a few games this year.

When, exactly, was the opposing teams' strategy to not shoot the puck as much as possible? The problem with our goaltending has very little to do with opposing teams' strategy or how much we pay our goalies, and everything to do with how our goalies and, to a lesser extent, our defense has played this year.

Hey guy, can you explain to me what is it that these people don't get when it comes to our mediocre goaltending. Is it oh we have great players all around so we can skimp here cuz in the end it will all work out?

Hey guy, can you explain to me what is it that these people don't get when it comes to our mediocre goaltending. Is it oh we have great players all around so we can skimp here cuz in the end it will all work out?

It worked pretty well last year ...

When, exactly, was the opposing teams' strategy to not shoot the puck as much as possible? The problem with our goaltending has very little to do with opposing teams' strategy or how much we pay our goalies, and everything to do with how our goalies and, to a lesser extent, our defense has played this year.

Come on man give our defense a break, answer me how many 30 plus shot games have these clowns in nets had to face. I venture to say not many. Just go over the shot totals, its a joke that Osgood is as bad as he is with so little to face , 22 , 24 , 25 , 28. He's piss poor; the defense is more then competent. Look at Kippersoff in Calgary believe he earns his money every night. Not like this clown with a couple of rings.