• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

topshelf14

Kenny, Get an Enforcer Now!

Rate this topic

:ranting: Ok, after watching last night's game I am sooooo on board for going out and grabbing an enforcer at the trading deadline. I mean to see Hossa be the only one to stand up for Hudler made me sick last night. There is no way Hossa or any other superstar on our team should be throwing down with some goon on another team. I appreciate what the HOSS did but it should not be his job at all. At that point in the game it would be nice to see an enforcer/fighter like a Chris Neil come in and do what he needs to do to remind other teams that running our players will come with some consequences.

Enforcers don't "discourage" cheap shots, if anything they promote it.

Ryan Suter is far from a "goon".

Hossa has fought before, it is his decision. I'm sure if Lilja was out there it would have been him though(Also if I'd bet Franzen would fight if he wasn't coming off a hand injury).

With that said I like fighting and would love a Chris Neil type player, but finding those players are hard. And I agree that in a perfect world I would wish Kopecky would go back to how he was over a year ago.

You could have put about 50 links into post, all of which would have been applicable. :D

To answer the OP, fact is we do have an enforcer in Aaron Downey. Unfortunately there's a guy right now on the 4th line who's taking up his roster spot.

Enforcers don't "discourage" cheap shots, if anything they promote it.

Ryan Suter is far from a "goon".

Hossa has fought before, it is his decision. I'm sure if Lilja was out there it would have been him though(Also if I'd bet Franzen would fight if he wasn't coming off a hand injury).

With that said I like fighting and would love a Chris Neil type player, but finding those players are hard. And I agree that in a perfect world I would wish Kopecky would go back to how he was over a year ago.

Enforcer that can play, it would be nice. But an enforcer doesn't encourage cheap shots, there job is to have the back of all skilled players on the team when they are given a goonish hit like what Suter did to Hudler. Suter although not a goon did deserve some punishment and not some ring around the rosy with Hossa. And I do not want to see our star players fighting and risking injury.

Kopecky has potential, but unfortunately that's all it is potential. He does not use his attributes to his advantage, instead he tries playing a European style of hockey when it is clear his style would be better if he played more aggressively, even if that means he could risk getting another injury.

To answer the OP, fact is we do have an enforcer in Aaron Downey. Unfortunately there's a guy right now on the 4th line who's taking up his roster spot.

It seems Holland prefers players who know how to play hockey, and not just run at people. By the way, that isn't a knock on Downey, but a lot of people complain that our fourth line lets in too many goals. If you replace Kopecky (I'm assuming that's who "a guy" is), or for that matter even Draper or Maltby with Downey, I'm 95% positive that our goals against for the fourth line will get worse.

:ranting: Ok, after watching last night's game I am sooooo on board for going out and grabbing an enforcer at the trading deadline. I mean to see Hossa be the only one to stand up for Hudler made me sick last night. There is no way Hossa or any other superstar on our team should be throwing down with some goon on another team. I appreciate what the HOSS did but it should not be his job at all. At that point in the game it would be nice to see an enforcer/fighter like a Chris Neil come in and do what he needs to do to remind other teams that running our players will come with some consequences.

actually Franzen was the 1st to stand up for Hudler. A side from that who exactly are you willing to give a roster spot up for an enforcer, and what enforcer would you want? The only ones I can think of would be Draper or Maltby atm because Kopecky actually looks like he is coming around, or maybe Lebda. But what enforcer do you want how cheap and besides fighting do they bring anything else to the table?

Edited by ben_usmc

Fact is enforcers don't stop Laperriere hitting Lidstrom. Or Suter from hitting Hudler. Also enforcers tend to make games more scrapy therefore promoting frusteration, and unfortunately "cheap shots". I agree I don't like the idea of Hossa "enforcing", but it's his decision, I'm sure Lilja or a healthy Franzen can step up and do the job if the time comes.

What enforcers do is get the crowd into the game, help momentum, and generate excitement which is a big help in itself.

It seems Holland prefers players who know how to play hockey, and not just run at people. By the way, that isn't a knock on Downey, but a lot of people complain that our fourth line lets in too many goals. If you replace Kopecky (I'm assuming that's who "a guy" is), or for that matter even Draper or Maltby with Downey, I'm 95% positive that our goals against for the fourth line will get worse.

Besides when Downey was up he didn't do s***. This year in the minors he really hasn't done s***. Hell one of our 5'10 rookies fought a 6'5 goon a few weeks ago, all Downey managed to do was chirp from the bench. Everyone on the Grifs. board says he has been horrible.

It's already pathetic with Kopecky, Draper, and Maltby back there with a combined -23! How can it get any worse? Do you really think that if you took a guy like Maltby, or Kopecky out of the lineup and replaced him with a McCarty or Downey it would make not only the 4th line worse but the team worse?

Those players on the 4th line are NOT there to generate offense at all, so I think if an enforcer was placed on that line instead it wouldn't make much of a difference in the score of the game, more in the possible injuries to our star players.

Besides when Downey was up he didn't do s***. This year in the minors he really hasn't done s***. Hell one of our 5'10 rookies fought a 6'5 goon a few weeks ago, all Downey managed to do was chirp from the bench. Everyone on the Grifs. board says he has been horrible.

Cody Franson isn't a goon, he's defense and he has about 5 times more points than Mursak has this year in the A

It's already pathetic with Kopecky, Draper, and Maltby back there with a combined -23! How can it get any worse? Do you really think that if you took a guy like Maltby, or Kopecky out of the lineup and replaced him with a McCarty or Downey it would make not only the 4th line worse but the team worse?

Those players on the 4th line are NOT there to generate offense at all, so I think if an enforcer was placed on that line instead it wouldn't make much of a difference in the score of the game, more in the possible injuries to our star players.

why not Draper he costs more and has a lower +/- then either of the other 2?

Cody Franson isn't a goon, he's defense and he has about 5 times more points than Mursak has this year in the A

Fine whatever I just am going by what I've read, but must not be much a great man fighting a 5'10 rookie. That's also great he has 5x more points then Mursak, besides the point and also hasn't Mursak sat most of the season?

Lastly I guess Pronger isn't a goon either; he's defense.....

Edited by ben_usmc

To be fair Downey has sucked in GR this season. When hes fought hes been good, but hes hardly done it enough to be considered a top HW in the AHL.

But what enforcer do you want how cheap and besides fighting do they bring anything else to the table?

1. Ian Laperriere is a UFA after this season and the Avalanche will be sellers at the deadline. With a cap hit of only 1.15 million I think he provides some fighting ability (12 fights this year) some scoring touch (7-10-17). A classic 4th liner in my opinion that would help our team go into the playoff's a better team than what we have.

2. Chris Neil - UFA, 1.1 Million, he is one of the league's best fighters, oh and he would bring energy everytime he stepped on the ice, unlike a Kopecky/Maltby.

3. Brad Winchester from St. Louis. I know this one is a little far-fetched but at 600K he's a steal. He scores, fights, and is young (27) so he could be Red Wing for years.

Not sure what we would have to give up for such a small, but valuable piece of the puzzle. But landing a player of this caliber would definitely provide us with enforcer/useful minutes on the ice.

Brad Stuart's a big ass guy. Why the hell doesn't he ever drop em? Trade him to Colorado for Ian! (Free up cap space to keep Leino and Helm, Ericsson to take his spot next year, or this.)

1. Ian Laperriere is a UFA after this season and the Avalanche will be sellers at the deadline. With a cap hit of only 1.15 million I think he provides some fighting ability (12 fights this year) some scoring touch (7-10-17). A classic 4th liner in my opinion that would help our team go into the playoff's a better team than what we have.

2. Chris Neil - UFA, 1.1 Million, he is one of the league's best fighters, oh and he would bring energy everytime he stepped on the ice, unlike a Kopecky/Maltby.

3. Brad Winchester from St. Louis. I know this one is a little far-fetched but at 600K he's a steal. He scores, fights, and is young (27) so he could be Red Wing for years.

Not sure what we would have to give up for such a small, but valuable piece of the puzzle. But landing a player of this caliber would definitely provide us with enforcer/useful minutes on the ice.

so 1st who are you giving up to get these players, because we already need cap space how can we add more? Someone has to leave, are you willing to give up scoring just for a fighter? 2nd what are trade options for these players, Ian will resign with the Av's I would bet on that. Chris Neil, Sens won't want Draper/Maltby/ or Kopecky. So we give up Sammy a proven scorer and playoff producer that is good in his own end and wants to be here? Why would the Blues trade to the same conference and would they really want any of those 3, besides what besides punching does he offer that Kopecky doesn't can he play the PK has he ever shown any signs of any deking?

Edited by ben_usmc

Brad Stuart's a big ass guy. Why the hell doesn't he ever drop em? Trade him to Colorado for Ian! (Free up cap space to keep Leino and Helm, Ericsson to take his spot next year, or this.)

Yeah he is really going to give up his NTC. I hope you are joking because if not then you have no idea why the wings are such a good franchise, if so you sly bastard :ph34r:

Yeah he is really going to give up his NTC. I hope you are joking because if not then you have no idea why the wings are such a good franchise, if so you sly bastard :ph34r:

Stuart's got a NTC? Didn't know that. Sorry man. Well hey, 3.75 is a ton for him when Kindl/Ericsson will be ready next year.

BTW Chelios is freaking awful, he's developed Larry Murphy syndrome in his last couple years in the league coughing it up and making mistakes more often than not. He's not patient anymore... he gets the puck and just fires it away (usually to another teams' player)