• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
RedWingAbner

Why do people do this?

Rate this topic

Is it just me, or is it becoming increasingly common for hockey fans to give nicknames to players--whom they don't know personally--and then refer to them by said nicknames? I think it's odd, because I don't hear the players, coaches, etc. refer to them by these--ie, the fan just makes it up and runs with it.

Examples:

"Hosser"--Marian Hossa

"Leiner"--Ville Leino

I can't really think of any more right now, but it really is driving me a bit crazy. Am I alone here?

Is it just me, or is it becoming increasingly common for hockey fans to give nicknames to players--whom they don't know personally--and then refer to them by said nicknames? I think it's odd, because I don't hear the players, coaches, etc. refer to them by these--ie, the fan just makes it up and runs with it.

Examples:

"Hosser"--Marian Hossa

"Leiner"--Ville Leino

I can't really think of any more right now, but it really is driving me a bit crazy. Am I alone here?

actually Leinos is the tonight show

Hockey fans, media, players, and coaches need to STOP with the nicknames. The nicknames they give are always extremely piss-poor attempts at a nickname i.e. Dats, Drapes, Kronner, Homer, Sammy, Malts, Kopie.

What happened to all of the cool names in hockey?

Wayne Gretzky - The Great One

Pavel Bure - The Russian Rocket

Marcel Dionne - Little Beaver

Tie Domi - The Albanian Assassin

Bobby Hull - The Golden Jet

Igor Larionov - The Professor

I guess we have the Mule....that's cool. But its no Pat Verbeek aka Little Ball of Hate!!!!!

Edited by topshelf14

All those half-assed nicknames are just ways to easily call for someone. If you played for the wings and wanted someone to pass to you, would you wanna say their full nickname/last name, or just a short one? Same goes with coaches calling people for line changes, etc. It's just more efficient.

Edited by Swayze

All those half-assed nicknames are just ways to easily call for someone. If you played for the wings and wanted someone to pass to you, would you wanna say their full nickname/last name, or just a short one? Same goes with coaches calling people for line changes, etc. It's just more efficient.

Point missed. I am not saying that the players need to stop-- just non-team personnel (fans) inventing uncreative nicknames.

Pain Train? good. Kopie? Lame.

I think fans should call the players whatever they want, as long as it's not slurs or something. If someone calls Kopecky "Kopie", I'm not getting annoyed enough to say anything about it because frankly.............................what is there to say anything about?

Hockey fans, media, players, and coaches need to STOP with the nicknames. The nicknames they give are always extremely piss-poor attempts at a nickname i.e. Dats, Drapes, Kronner, Homer, Sammy, Malts, Kopie.

I guess we have the Mule....that's cool. But its no Pat Verbeek aka Little Ball of Hate!!!!!

Because none of those can be used ina conversation if you know the guy. I'm pretty sure that when giving an interview none of Gretzky's teammates called him "The Great One."

Those are historical nicknames, Hoss, Dats, Mule, etc. are current nicknames given to people who are currently playing.

Because none of those can be used ina conversation if you know the guy. I'm pretty sure that when giving an interview none of Gretzky's teammates called him "The Great One."

Those are historical nicknames, Hoss, Dats, Mule, etc. are current nicknames given to people who are currently playing.

But The Mule is a good nickname. Dats is not. It's abbreviation.

Why "The Albanian Assassin"?

Thanks in advance

The sad part about hockey "nicknames" is that if Draper's name were Drapes he would likely be called Draper...

:lol:

It's funny cuz it's true.

You guys really care this much about nicknames? Pick your battles guys, it's a tough world.

Why "The Albanian Assassin"?

Thanks in advance

Domi spent a summer in Albania. He murdered hundreds of prostitutes.

I heard it from from a guy who works at Tim Horton's.

Edited by Hockeytown Red Wings

i agree with this post.

OP, i guess i'm confused. as others have stated, names like "dats" etc. are really just shorter versions of players' names used for convenience. i guess maybe the coaches and his teammates call hossa "hoss" and someone on here is calling him "hosser" and that annoys you? if that's the case, i feel like you're kind of splitting hairs. why is "hoss" okay but "hosser" is not okay?

i think that some of our players do have cool nicknames that aren't just shortened versions of their names. obviously the mule is a great one, along with franzenstien, which i think is sweet. pain train = excellent. people call kronwall "junior" which isn't amazing but i think is fine; people call datsyuk "houdini" or "pasha" sometimes, both of which i like...but you're obviously not going to yell out "houdini" when you're looking for a pass. *shrug* i guess i don't understand your discontentedness with the nicknames.

Exactly. I was like "...eh, what?" when I read that post.