• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Shaman

Leino or Helm

Rate this topic

who do we keep for the playoff run?  

91 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If all of our forwards are healthy I assume Helm will start in the playoffs ahead of Kopecky, and Maltby will be on a short leash with Leino ready to jump in if Malts doesn't play up to par.

Exactly.

Leino will probably see time at some point in the playoffs, but he won't start off as an active player in them.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA
Any one of those top three lines are as good as half the NHLs top lines, and that 4th line is easily a 3rd or 2nd line on most NHL teams.

I don't think we'd fit under the cap though would we?

Re Bolded: Really? Helm-Draper-Sammy is a second line?!

As for cap concerns in the playoffs the cap is a non-factor. The players are paid for the season. The payment for the playoffs is the Cup.

Re Bolded: Really? Helm-Draper-Sammy is a second line?!

As for cap concerns in the playoffs the cap is a non-factor. The players are paid for the season. The payment for the playoffs is the Cup.

Really? I guess that makes sense.

I meant to say on most teams they are a third line and possibly on some teams they could be a second line, maybe some of these teams like :Leafs, BJs, OTT, Avs, Canes.

LOL. Helm over Leino??

Leino is miles ahead of Helm and it'll probably never change.

If all of our forwards are healthy I assume Helm will start in the playoffs ahead of Kopecky, and Maltby will be on a short leash with Leino ready to jump in if Malts doesn't play up to par.

I agree with both of these oddly enough. Helm's grit will win over Leino's skills with Babcock, but Leino will be counted on once Draper or Maltby start to show how bad they are, most likely Maltby since Babs will like Draper's FO abilities in the late stages of a close game in the Playoffs.

Doggy it'd be a good idea to include why you think the way you do haha.

Lol okay I'll elaborate sorry.

Helm is really fast and and puts in 100% and I think he's great I really do. I guess you could say Helm is gritty when compared to Leino but not when compared to an actual gritty player. Helm is probably more of what we need right now, one thing we certainly aren't lacking is skilled offensive forwards.

The way I see it though, Leino is flat out just a better hockey player and I highly doubt Helm has the potential to ever become a better player than Leino. To me, this has been very clear in what we've seen of the two. Helm is quick and tries hard but (this year anyway) he hasn't shown any ability to finish or create. I don't know why because he wasn't like that in the playoffs. Leino finishes. Simple. He has the swagger and the confidence to play NHL hockey. It oozed with every stride from his debut onwards.

The good news about Helm is, he is able to get himself into position to be a threat offensively, so it will come. He just needs to build the confidence because he is completely snakebit. Does he even have a point this season yet?

Edited by Doggy

Good work Doggy :P

I think Helm has a point this season. I like Leino more because like you said, no matter who leino is playing with, he still produces. Leino is very good with the stick lift as well, he is very underrated defensively. Helm isn't that much better at defense than Leino but Leino is wayyy better offensively then Helm. I still want Helm to replace Maltby or Kopecky, preferebly Kopecky come playoffs because he is a big upgrade over those two and I think Leino should go in for the other and be put on the second PP line because he and Hudler seem to work well together in my eyes.

My hat off to everyone who picked both. I can see why people would pick leino but long termly speaking, with maltby and drapes leaving in the not so distant future, Helm is there replacement. Leino is more a 2nd liner and if everything goes perfect then maybe a future 1st liner, but that said I feel that they are just what this team needs. They both have different but great styles of hockey that we should feel fortunate to have such a great couple of prospects be working out.

My hat off to everyone who picked both. I can see why people would pick leino but long termly speaking, with maltby and drapes leaving in the not so distant future, Helm is there replacement. Leino is more a 2nd liner and if everything goes perfect then maybe a future 1st liner, but that said I feel that they are just what this team needs. They both have different but great styles of hockey that we should feel fortunate to have such a great couple of prospects be working out.

I didn't think you could pick both. We didn't have to wait long to see if Leino would work out. Considering he was just signed months ago.

The reason i didnt include both is because it would be 100% of the vote :P anyway, I doubt the first game of our playoff run will have both in, as we move forward i think it will, but, right now pick one, and pick Leino ;)

I agree with "both", but if we really only could keep one.. I say Helm. He was too good our last playoff run to not be a part of it this year as well.

Dream playoff lines:

Datsyuk-Zetterberg-Homer

Leino-Filppula-Hossa

Franzen-Hudler-Cleary

Helm-Draper-Sammy

Putting Fippula on the second line and Franzen and Hudler on the third is just bizarre.

Datsyuk-Zetterberg-Homer

Franzen-Hudler-Hossa

Leino-Filppula-Sammy

Helm-Draper-Cleary

Leino looks great on the top lines (see: Leino's first two games playing with Datsyuk). But Franzen and Hudler are too deadly to leave on the third line. Let Leino put the puck in the net when Fippula stands in front of it looking despirately for someone to pass to :D I love Filppula but damn it he needs to shoot the damn puck. Someone should figure out what possesses Sammy to shoot first and look for the pass later and give Val half of that instinct.

Edit: switch Cleary and Sammy and let the fourth line be the shut-down/checking line.

Edited by Drake_Marcus

Helm is all chances and no finish. This guy is faster then any Wing but isn't really doing anything with his chances. Their both solid, and Helm will become a good scorer eventually, but today if you had to pick one or the other, Leino is playing better now, and has the bigger potential to be a top 6, 60 points a year player.

Helm, Leino aint ready

Lieno ain't ready? Based on what? Hell, I don't even know if he's ready for the playoffs, but nothing that he has shown thus far has indicated he can't perform with the big dogs when the intensity gets stepped up. I for one think Helm provides more of what we need right now, but if I had my way, Kopecky and Maltby would be riding the pine while both Helm and Lieno play. I posted this message back in October and I'm still hoping it some how materializes come playoff time.

http://www.letsgowings.com/forums/index.ph...amp;pid=1463921

Of course, the Ericsson thing was never going to happen this year especially with his injury issues, but with the exception of possibly having Franzen play the centerman's role I like my lines quite nicely :D