• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Blueliner

Helm and Leino will have playoff spots

Rate this topic

http://www.redwingscentral.com/stories/200...3_RWCReport.php

Red Wings head coach Mike Babcock has already said Darren Helm will be in the lineup in the NHL playoffs, just as he was last year. Babcock also hinted that Ville Leino has a playoff spot within his grasp, too. Both forwards have excelled after being called up from Grand Rapids late last month.

Obviously good news. It would be a crime if Helm was not in the lineup for the playoffs. He was simply amazing in last years run. His speed and grit is going to be apart of the Red Wings for years to come. Helm will be the next Drapes without a question. Injuries and the natural course of the Stanley Cup Playoffs will also enable Leino to get some playing time which he also deserves. Just looking at the core of prospects makes me excited. They are not even prospects to be honest, any other team, they would be on the top two lines. Its this type of depth that will help the Wings in the playoffs and I also feel that Kenny will be able to stand pat at the deadline because of that.

Helm for Maltby isn't obvious. The 4th line will propably consist players that Babcock thinks are hot that day. When Holmstrom returns there are Draper, Helm, Maltby, Leino, Kopecky and possibly Abdelkador auditioning for a spot in the 4th.

Helm in for Maltby is obvious but who will sit for Leino? Babcock has got a man crush on Kopecky soo I really cant see who else is going to sit

It depends on the team we're facing.

GO LEINO!

And we all knew Helm was in.

I bet playoff lines (no cap constraints for playoffs, Leino will go back down and be a black ace)

Dats-Z-Homer

Franz-Filppula-Hossa

Cleary-Helm-Sammy

Leino/Kopecky/Maltby (rotation)-Draper-Hudler

Lids-Raffi

Kronner-Sammy

Lebda-Lilja

Helm in for Maltby is obvious but who will sit for Leino? Babcock has got a man crush on Kopecky soo I really cant see who else is going to sit

How is developing guys in your system in games that don't matter much a man crush? I will never understand that line of thinking...

GO LEINO!

I bet playoff lines (no cap constraints for playoffs, Leino will go back down and be a black ace)

Dats-Z-Homer

Franz-Filppula-Hossa

Cleary-Helm-Sammy

Lids-Raffi

Kronner-Sammy

Lebda-Lilja

really? hudler with part time 4th line duty? yikes. i love helm, but i feel like you have to put huds with cleary and sammy. helm is a great checker, and i think we'll see him more in that role.

my guess is that we'll have a few injuries to deal with during the playoffs (most teams do) and helm's and leino's places will really depend on that. with everyone healthy, it will probably be the normal top two lines plus cleary-huds-sammy as the third with some combination of leino/kopy/malts/drapes/helm as the fourth line. but say cleary, or sammy or god forbid dats, z, or hossa go down, we'll probably see helm and especially leino getting bumped up to the top six with our standard fourth liners getting their normal time.

Dats-Z-Homer

Franz-Filppula-Hossa

Cleary-Helm-Sammy

Lids-Raffi

Kronner-Sammy

Lebda-Lilja

Hudler should have his spot locked up already, I don't think he will be rotated. Imagine if Helm centered the third line and 4th line would be Leino-Draper-Hudler. Then there would be three lines that could score. That would mean that two grit players (Kopecky and Maltby) are sitting and that's not necessarily a good thing.

really? hudler with part time 4th line duty? yikes. i love helm, but i feel like you have to put huds with cleary and sammy. helm is a great checker, and i think we'll see him more in that role.

None of them really is a center though.

Edited by P. Marlowe

GO LEINO!

Dats-Z-Homer

Franz-Filppula-Hossa

Cleary-Helm-Sammy

Lids-Raffi

Kronner-Sammy

Lebda-Lilja

Hudler is the Wings' fourth best forward; how do you rotate him out with Draper and Maltby while Helm and Kopecky are full-time?

Better would be:

Dats/Z/Homer

Leino/Huds/Hossa

Franzen/Filppula/Sammy

Cleary/Draper/Kopecky/Helm/Maltby (any 3, Cleary plus 2 others)

GO LEINO!

Dats-Z-Homer

Franz-Filppula-Hossa

Cleary-Helm-Sammy

Lids-Raffi

Kronner-Sammy

Lebda-Lilja

my guess is that we'll have a few injuries to deal with during the playoffs (most teams do) and helm's and leino's places will really depend on that. with everyone healthy, it will probably be the normal top two lines plus cleary-huds-sammy as the third with some combination of leino/kopy/malts/drapes/helm as the fourth line. but say cleary, or sammy or god forbid dats, z, or hossa go down, we'll probably see helm and especially leino getting bumped up to the top six with our standard fourth liners getting their normal time.

Yah I was thinking the same thing. I would put Hudler on the 2nd line and drop Filppula down to third or fourth line.

Hudler is the Wings' fourth best forward; how do you rotate him out with Draper and Maltby while Helm and Kopecky are full-time?

Better would be:

Dats/Z/Homer

Leino/Huds/Hossa

Franzen/Filppula/Sammy

No matter how many times you post it, Hudler is not a center in the NHL. Especially not in this system where centers are the most important position when it comes to defense. Hudler is an exceptional winger with good defensive skills on this team, but he'll never be a center. There's more to line combos than just getting the maximum scoring output.

Datsyuk - Z - Holmstrom

Franzen - Filppula - Hossa

Hudler - Helm - Cleary

Maltby/Leino/Kopecky - Draper - Samuelsson

Better would be:

Dats/Z/Homer

Leino/Huds/Hossa

Franzen/Filppula/Sammy

I don't think Hudler knows how to take a faceoff.

My turn:

Datsyuk / Zetterberg / Holmström

Hudler / Franzén / Hossa

Leino / Filppula / Sammy

Cleary / Draper / Helm

and when Franzén, Holmström and Zetterberg hurt themselves:

1. Maltby, 2. Kopecky, 3. Abdelkader

Lidström / Kronwall

Stuart / Rafalski

Lilja / Lebda

Spares:

1. Chelios, 2. Meech

Funny thing is that in Ea Sports' NHL games Hudler is a center.

Edited by P. Marlowe

No matter how many times you post it, Hudler is not a center in the NHL. Especially not in this system where centers are the most important position when it comes to defense. Hudler is an exceptional winger with good defensive skills on this team, but he'll never be a center. There's more to line combos than just getting the maximum scoring output.

Datsyuk - Z - Holmstrom

Franzen - Filppula - Hossa

Hudler - Helm - Cleary

Maltby/Leino/Kopecky - Draper - Samuelsson

Excellent post. Hudler is a very good winger on the team and is not suited for the center position. I agree that Maltby/Leino/Kopecky are probably going to be the 3 guys that rotate in and out depending on how well they are playing and the opponent match-ups. In a lot of ways, I think a Leino-Helm-Draper would be an excellent 4th line. Leino and Helm played together a lot in GR so they could have some good chemistry. Moving Draper to wing would free him up from some of the responsibilities of a center that he has been struggling with but still allow him to use his speed to forecheck (and he could still take the faceoffs).

I don't think Hudler knows how to take a faceoff.

Hudler / Franzén / Hossa

Funny thing is that in Ea Sports' NHL games Hudler is a center.

Hudler has played center since his youth at every level except the NHL. So he obviously knows how to take a faceoff. By contrast, Franzen had not played a shift of center until his draft year, when he was converted from wing to center on his Swedish league team because of his size and defensive play.

Hudler's faceoff percentage this season is 55%, fourth best among Detroit regulars. Hossa, who has take approximately the same number of faceoffs, is 23%, which is last among Detroit regulars. Are you still sure that Hudler doesn't know how to take a faceoff and therefore should not play center at the NHL level?

Hudler is the second best playmaking forward the Wings have. He should be centering Hossa and another scorer on the second line. Leino fits perfectly here.

Filppula should be centering the third line, whose primary role should be defensive but which should also be a capable scoring threat. Franzen and Samuelsson fit perfectly with this role.

And then a fourth line made up of any three of Cleary, Helm, Kopecky, Draper, and Maltby is a capable checking line with speed, grit, and physical presence.

I would like to see Helm center two snipers....say Leino & Hudler. Helm not being a natural goal scorer is an intense puckhound who can dig the puck out to these kinds of guys who can score from impossible angles. He's had success with both of these guys in the past & with improving faceoff skills can set these guys up frequently each shift......notice how a lot of Wing PPs lately have been caused by Helm's intensity & speed?

Hudler has played center since his youth at every level except the NHL. So he obviously knows how to take a faceoff. By contrast, Franzen had not played a shift of center until his draft year, when he was converted from wing to center on his Swedish league team because of his size and defensive play.

Hudler's faceoff percentage this season is 55%, fourth best among Detroit regulars. Hossa, who has take approximately the same number of faceoffs, is 23%, which is last among Detroit regulars. Are you still sure that Hudler doesn't know how to take a faceoff and therefore should not play center at the NHL level?

Hudler is the second best playmaking forward the Wings have. He should be centering Hossa and another scorer on the second line. Leino fits perfectly here.

Filppula should be centering the third line, whose primary role should be defensive but which should also be a capable scoring threat. Franzen and Samuelsson fit perfectly with this role.

And then a fourth line made up of any three of Cleary, Helm, Kopecky, Draper, and Maltby is a capable checking line with speed, grit, and physical presence.

I see your point and I didn't know about those stats. Still, as you wrote, Hudler hasn't played constantly as a center in NHL. This season he has taken only 20 faceoffs. Even Cleary and Kopecky have taken more. There's propably a reason why Babcock doesn't play him as a center. I think Franzén or Filppula fit better to center the second line. Even if Franzén hadn't played center before coming to the league I think he has proved that he can handle that job well. Sometimes a line work wells if one player is more concentrated on defense so those kind of players can be spread over the line-up.

Hudler should definately be centering the second line, because we on this board.... Know more than wings management and coaches. ;)