• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

boomer

Is it time to make some major moves for this year's playoff run?

Rate this topic

Yeah, heaven forbid we talk about potential trades for a team lacking in penalty killing and high energy players like Drake.

I love me some Drake type players, however you won't get a lot of support for them around here. Unless he's putting up 2 points a game in the playoffs, this type of player has no reason cracking the Wing's line up. Come to think of it, the Drake had no contribution to the Wings' success last year. :rolleyes:

Lebda and a pick for Neil anyone? Other than that, no major changes are needed.

Edited by ManLuv4Clears

I'd like to see a banging forward. "Lappy,Neil,Armstrong" a guy who can add some sandpaper.. Some ruggidness is something we're missing.. In the playoffs, guys like Malts,Drapes,Cleary and everyone else really turn it on physically.. But guys like Neil,Lappy,Armer could really put us at par with the rest of the league..

Im content with our defense.. Lebda has been a pleasent surprise after the beggining of the season travesty. He's came around.. Meech isn't too bad .. And Cheli is still a art-ful d-man, he knows the in's/outs of the position.. just doesnt have the feet to be an everyday guy anymore.

I think our goaltending is fine.. Conks is doing great, Ozzie hopefully will turn it around.. Defensivly we need to get tighter.. Offensivly we need to get some lines set in stone. I want chemistry and co-hesiveness come playoff time.

Edited by xBrave_Heartx

We need to trade Zetterberg and Hossa for Neil and Boogaard. This team will then punch and elbow their way to the cup.

Wow, you are not funny -- this attempt at sarcasm failed miserably.

As far as making moves goes I don't think anything major will go down, nor do I think we need anything drastic whatsoever in order to make a run in the playoffs -- besides turn up the intensity a little bit which I don't think will be a problem with it being the playoffs and all.

I would love to grab Neil though, he would add a spark, and an element of physicality that could help in a long series against a team like San Jose, Calgary, etc.

Here is some video of Neil -- I think he would definitely look good with a winged wheel on his chest:

Neil demolishes Brian Little, then attempts to draw Boulton into taking a penalty:

Neil destroys Avery with a solid hit:

Gotta love a guy who runs any Anaheim players like this. It's weird Burke had a problem with this, but was upset when Pronger got suspended for the hit on Homer:

Chris Neil profile on Ottawa's version of RW Weekly -- Overtime -- which aired this past November (11/13/08). Gives you a look at some goals, hits, etc:

Edited by sureWhyNot

I love me some Drake type players, however you won't get a lot of support for them around here. Unless he's putting up 2 points a game in the playoffs, this type of player has no reason cracking the Wing's line up. Come to think of it, the Drake had no contribution to the Wings' success last year. :rolleyes:

Lebda and a pick for Neil anyone? Other than that, no major changes are needed.

No one is arguing Drake's post-season utility. He did a lot for us. However he was mocked all across the Interweb for his lame fights and inability to contribute all last season. He was washed up. Now the same is being said about Maltby and Draper, yet they were dynamite (considering their roles) in the playoffs.

Why do we need someone new when we already have Cleary, Draper, Maltby, McCarty, Helm all proven, big-time playoff performers in the mold of Drake?

No one is arguing Drake's post-season utility. He did a lot for us. However he was mocked all across the Interweb for his lame fights and inability to contribute all last season. He was washed up. Now the same is being said about Maltby and Draper, yet they were dynamite (considering their roles) in the playoffs.

Why do we need someone new when we already have Cleary, Draper, Maltby, McCarty, Helm all proven, big-time playoff performers in the mold of Drake?

I hope you're right and that the aforementioned players do fill that role player void. Cleary and Helm can and probably will. I'm still not sold on Draper and Maltby, but hopefully they turn it up. As for D-Mac, I have a feeling he's already played his last game for the Wings.

Someone in the "Renney fired" thread wants Colton Orr. I presume they've never seen him skate because, well, no one has. He couldn't play in this offence.

I'd take a fourth line energy winger in the Chris Neil/Jamal Mayers mold. Unless you're adding Ken Dryden, changing goaltenders right now really doesn't do you any good.

Someone in the "Renney fired" thread wants Colton Orr. I presume they've never seen him skate because, well, no one has. He couldn't play in this offence.

I'd take a fourth line energy winger in the Chris Neil/Jamal Mayers mold. Unless you're adding Ken Dryden, changing goaltenders right now really doesn't do you any good.

I would love to have a top 5 HW, but I agree with you on rather grabbing a Neil/Mayers type -- especially for the playoffs. Someone like Orr would be great to have in the regular season, but if we are talking about this years playoffs I take Neil/Mayers type guy over an Orr any day of the week.

Wow, you are not funny -- this attempt at sarcasm failed miserably.

As far as making moves goes I don't think anything major will go down, nor do I think we need anything drastic whatsoever in order to make a run in the playoffs -- besides turn up the intensity a little bit which I don't think will be a problem with it being the playoffs and all.

I would love to grab Neil though, he would add a spark, and an element of physicality that could help in a long series against a team like San Jose, Calgary, etc.

Here is some video of Neil -- I think he would definitely look good with a winged wheel on his chest:

Neil demolishes Brian Little, then attempts to draw Boulton into taking a penalty:

Neil destroys Avery with a solid hit:

Gotta love a guy who runs any Anaheim players like this. It's weird Burke had a problem with this, but was upset when Pronger got suspended for the hit on Homer:

Chris Neil profile on Ottawa's version of RW Weekly -- Overtime -- which aired this past November (11/13/08). Gives you a look at some goals, hits, etc:

Thanks for the shots , Ya I would love to see him in our shade of Red

The more I think about it, the more I think its necessary to add specifically Chris Neil (assuming the rumors are true). Not only would he add just about everything our fourth line is lacking, but this is also one of the few times where getting a player simply to prevent the other team from having him would be beneficial. San Jose I believe is our only real opposition come playoffs (I know that sounds cocky and "any of the top 16 teams can win the cup", look at 2003, 2004, etc, but if we lose to anyone besides the Sharks this year, its simply because we aren't hungry), and the San Jose Sharks are scary enough without Chris Neil. Imagine them when they have a guy who can inspire them to play to their physical limits, and rub out Draper, Kopecky, and Maltby with ease. Depth is what wins cups.

Edit: I just realized that Neil is on IR. Does anyone know exactly what's going on as far as his return? Lacerated calf doesn't sound too good.

Edited by Echolalia

The more I think about it, the more I think its necessary to add specifically Chris Neil (assuming the rumors are true). Not only would he add just about everything our fourth line is lacking, but this is also one of the few times where getting a player simply to prevent the other team from having him would be beneficial. San Jose I believe is our only real opposition come playoffs (I know that sounds cocky and "any of the top 16 teams can win the cup", look at 2003, 2004, etc, but if we lose to anyone besides the Sharks this year, its simply because we aren't hungry), and the San Jose Sharks are scary enough without Chris Neil. Imagine them when they have a guy who can inspire them to play to their physical limits, and rub out Draper, Kopecky, and Maltby with ease. Depth is what wins cups.

Yes it does, were in no position to be complacent. There are areas where we can turn our game up a notch - were lacking some toughness up front and some on the D ; theres's more than enough finesse on this team to go around, we need personnel for the fight in the trenches to be dramatic about it ; cuz that's what it will be against the Sharks and the Bruins if and when we meet them- and let's not forget the Devils either with Shanny!

Look your right that we have a work horse in Lils , Meech I'm not convinced; Erricson why is not up already to give him that valualble experience; Chelly I love him but he's up there can't put too much demands on him. Stuart and Kronwall have not had a good season thus far. But my main Idea, is look were not not going for a goaltender, probability it's going to be Conklin unless Osgood makes a major turnaround, then why not get the D over the top- its not offense we need.

I can't read anymore of your posts. It's just to painful. Will you please go take a remedial writing class and come back when you can write an intelligent sentance?

Edit: I just realized that Neil is on IR. Does anyone know exactly what's going on as far as his return? Lacerated calf doesn't sound too good.

He got a 33 stitch gash on the back of the calf, but fortunately no tendon damage, saved apparently by a thin lair of material- he's coming along.

I can't read anymore of your posts. It's just to painful. Will you please go take a remedial writing class and come back when you can write an intelligent sentance?

What can I say my brains jumping ahead Ms. Higgins,your right that was terrible; but you know what I meant . But you should work on your spelling- eh " sentance "

And once you' ve got your spelling down , you can work on on sustance Herr school marm!

Yeah, heaven forbid we talk about potential trades for a team lacking in penalty killing and high energy players like Drake.
So true everything is so taboo with certain people here. As if what were saying is a matter of life and death for the team. Everthing is sooooooo untouchable that they have to nit pick inorder to deflect from substantive matters. Anyhow I'v been with the Wings forever I saw Gary Unger the Iron man play who they should have never dealt- that was a an integral piece of the future then snuffed out even though we got the Red Baron. I really think there's a lack of historic reasoning about what the Wings have been and what they are now.Change is a constant that you can count on, complacency is the quicksand you don't see when your head is in the sand.

Definitely time.

First let's trade that overrated, overpaid Flip-poola guy for a pick or two.

Let's also trade those Rafalski and Kronwall guys, because they don't play defense. And the Stuart one, cause he's injured.

We'll stick Kopecky in one of these other deals because he sucks. Maltby too.

And Sammy. Reasons obvious.

And Lebda and Meech, because they're not future #1 d-men, which is a requirement for any d-man that plays on the Wings.

Franzen, because he's a 1 year wonder.

Osgood for some pucks.

Howard because its obvious after 1 game he's the next Cloutier.

Just waive Chelios. He's old and taking up a roster space.

So, out:

Rafalski

Kronwall

Stuart

Lebda

Meech

Chelios

Flip

Sammy

Franzen

Osgood

Howard

in:

Whatever, they all suck, amiright?

Git r done, Kenny.

It's this type of mentality that made us pickup Cory Cross at the deadline in 2006. How did that work out for us?

This team has shown enough faults this season for this to be a viable thread. Apparently, you have better ideas for topic threads.

If we want to repeat this has to happen...

Dats

Z

Lids

Hos

1 rnd

2 rnd

3 rnd

Millions in fresh 100 bens

Straight up For Brad Isbister.

The guy has a phenomenal wrister and that ever so glorious presence on the ice. I'm not sure They would take that though. Fingers crossed!!!

*sentence

As for the topic: we just need a healthy, hungry team. I don't think any big deals are likely or necessary, though I wouldn't mind snagging a Chris Neil type. Alternately, I'm all for that Isbister deal.

Don't even want to think about that!! :unsure::unsure::unsure: