• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

boomer

Is it time to make some major moves for this year's playoff run?

Rate this topic

The only major thing we need is to fix the issue's with the players with already have. Tighten the D, Help Osgood find a way to play good enough to share the duties with Conklin, Get the PK working, Get our current players to finish some of their checks and add some dirt to their game (some, not alot). If we add anything I'd say Chris Neil that would be about it... Unless Osgood can't find a cure for his mental breakdown, then I don't know.

Edited by The Secret

I'm totally with you but Holland's patterns unfortunately point to that not happening. Look he wants both Hossa and Franzen which I think is shortsighed. Hossa would be more than enough considering our offensive depth all around. Our defensive game needs some shoring up, and we got give some of our veterans on the D a break by adding some physical presence- especially if the goaltending situation remains as it.

Yah I hear ya, but you never know what Holland's plans really are he can be sneaky, around the Deadline never know what he really has

up his sleeve. And yes I agree if we can't get somthing more solid in net (other then Conks) I'am all for a nice big physical D-man.

If were not getting another goaltender and Conklin is going to get the nod, then I have to disagree with you about our your contentions about the depth of defense for the playoffs. Are guys are great , but if that's going to be the case I think we have to bolster the D in a big way. To my mind were loaded with offense, we need a stay at home hitting D and I would trade for that workhorse type player big time.

I'd argue we already have exactly what you are describing. Not on our #1 pairing, but does a combination featuring Nick Lidstrom really need improvement? Stuart and Kronwall are two big hitters that have, I believe consciously and intentionally, softened their game during the regular season grind and will step up in the playoffs. This team always plays soft in the regular season, but since post-season '07 they've increased their hitting by 50%.

Where the real depth comes in, the third pairing, we have any combination of Lilja, Lebda, Meech, Chelios, maybe even Ericsson. Jason Smith won't do much there, if he's even able to keep up with this team's speed.

I don't know how many more "work-horses" we need. We have a great top four and the way Lils is playing our entire corps is solid. They just aren't in playoff mode yet.

The only major thing we need is to fix the issue's with the players with already have. Tighten the D, Help Osgood find a way to play good enough to share the duties with Conklin, Get the PK working, Get our current players to finish some of their checks and add some dirt to their game (some, not alot). If we add anything I'd say Chris Neil that would be about it... Unless Osgood can find a cure for his mental breakdown, then I don't know.

The thing is there's too much emphasis on whether Osgood turns around or not. I think you have to deal with what is and has been all season, a cloud over our goaltending. So I'm not exspecting great changes there. If you settle on that then you have to say how can we reduce our vulnerabilty with who ever starts. And to me that means getting that defenseman who can take a hit to make the play and give the major hit. I think the strategy of teams like the Sharks and the Bruins if we ever encounter them will be to try to wear down our veteran defensmen; particularly Lindstrom and Rafalski. This is not an area that we can afford to be vulnerable in the playoffs. Remember a couple years when we went against the Ducks- the Pronger goon squad hit on Holmstrom ; we also lost Matthew Schneider and that really hurt us that series.

Guest Shoreline

We need to trade Zetterberg and Hossa for Neil and Boogaard. This team will then punch and elbow their way to the cup.

I'd argue we already have exactly what you are describing. Not on our #1 pairing, but does a combination featuring Nick Lidstrom really need improvement? Stuart and Kronwall are two big hitters that have, I believe consciously and intentionally, softened their game during the regular season grind and will step up in the playoffs. This team always plays soft in the regular season, but since post-season '07 they've increased their hitting by 50%.

Where the real depth comes in, the third pairing, we have any combination of Lilja, Lebda, Meech, Chelios, maybe even Ericsson. Jason Smith won't do much there, if he's even able to keep up with this team's speed.

I don't know how many more "work-horses" we need. We have a great top four and the way Lils is playing our entire corps is solid. They just aren't in playoff mode yet.

Look your right that we have a work horse in Lils , Meech I'm not convinced; Erricson why is not up already to give him that valualble experience; Chelly I love him but he's up there can't put too much demands on him. Stuart and Kronwall have not had a good season thus far. But my main Idea, is look were not not going for a goaltender, probability it's going to be Conklin unless Osgood makes a major turnaround, then why not get the D over the top- its not offense we need.

Yah I hear ya, but you never know what Holland's plans really are he can be sneaky, around the Deadline never know what he really has

up his sleeve. And yes I agree if we can't get somthing more solid in net (other then Conks) I'am all for a nice big physical D-man.

Man I hope your right about Holland's sly ways!

The thing is there's too much emphasis on whether Osgood turns around or not. I think you have to deal with what is and has been all season, a cloud over our goaltending. So I'm not exspecting great changes there. If you settle on that then you have to say how can we reduce our vulnerabilty with who ever starts. And to me that means getting that defenseman who can take a hit to make the play and give the major hit. I think the strategy of teams like the Sharks and the Bruins if we ever encounter them will be to try to wear down our veteran defensmen; particularly Lindstrom and Rafalski. This is not an area that we can afford to be vulnerable in the playoffs. Remember a couple years when we went against the Ducks- the Pronger goon squad hit on Holmstrom ; we also lost Matthew Schneider and that really hurt us that series.

Dirty Hal Gill? I hated Gill from last years SCF, but Lilja-Gill combo does sound interesting. I'm still not a Lilja fan but its hard not to see the improvement in him this season.

Dirty Hal Gill? I hated Gill from last years SCF, but Lilja-Gill combo does sound interesting. I'm still not a Lilja fan but its hard not to see the improvement in him this season.

Oh yeah that would definitely make for gritty pair. What about Ed Jovanowski he'd love a shot at the Cup?

Look your right that we have a work horse in Lils , Meech I'm not convinced; Erricson why is not up already to give him that valualble experience; Chelly I love him but he's up there can't put too much demands on him. Stuart and Kronwall have not had a good season thus far. But my main Idea, is look were not not going for a goaltender, probability it's going to be Conklin unless Osgood makes a major turnaround, then why not get the D over the top- its not offense we need.

So let's just say Conks is #1 in the playoffs; our defense line combinations are Lidstrom/Rafalski, Kronwall/Stuart, Lilja/Lebda. Where can we possibly improve by addition?

The only way I can see is to trade for Pronger and put him with Lidstrom, put Stuart with Kronwall, and Raffi with Lilja.

Who else could bring something we need? There are defensemen like O'Donnell, Klee, Morris, I've seen someone mention Havelid, all at the end of their contracts, but where are these guys going to go? They'd be sixth or seventh on the depth chart. We'd give up a good prospect or a couple good picks.

Edited by Chunkylover

The way I look at this is last season we needed a gritty defenseman so we traded for Stuart. Good deal. But who was our best physical defenseman? Kronwall! This season, neither has been stellar I'll admit, but we know they can bring it in the post-season.

Guest mindfly

Everyone suggesting havelid can forget it because after this season he will head back home to sweden, he's stated that several times.. just to let everyone know

Definitely time.

First let's trade that overrated, overpaid Flip-poola guy for a pick or two.

Let's also trade those Rafalski and Kronwall guys, because they don't play defense. And the Stuart one, cause he's injured.

We'll stick Kopecky in one of these other deals because he sucks. Maltby too.

And Sammy. Reasons obvious.

And Lebda and Meech, because they're not future #1 d-men, which is a requirement for any d-man that plays on the Wings.

Franzen, because he's a 1 year wonder.

Osgood for some pucks.

Howard because its obvious after 1 game he's the next Cloutier.

Just waive Chelios. He's old and taking up a roster space.

So, out:

Rafalski

Kronwall

Stuart

Lebda

Meech

Chelios

Flip

Sammy

Franzen

Osgood

Howard

in:

Whatever, they all suck, amiright?

Git r done, Kenny.

Definitely time.

Let's also trade those Rafalski and Kronwall guys, because they don't play defense. And the Stuart one, cause he's injured.

And Lebda and Meech, because they're not future #1 d-men, which is a requirement for any d-man that plays on the Wings.

Osgood for some pucks.

So, out:

Rafalski

Kronwall

Stuart

Lebda

Meech

Chelios

Flip

Sammy

Franzen

Osgood

Howard

in:

Git r done, Kenny.

You seem to be implying that this whole discussion is an exercise in "Chicken Little" mentality....

Definitely time.

Osgood for some pucks.

So, out:

Rafalski

Kronwall

Stuart

Lebda

Meech

Chelios

Flip

Sammy

Franzen

Osgood

Howard

in:

Git r done, Kenny.

:hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

THAT IS PERHAPS THE GREATEST POST THAT I HAVE EVER READ!!!!! COULDN'T AGREE MORE.

:hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

Yeah, heaven forbid we talk about potential trades for a team lacking in penalty killing and high energy players like Drake.

No, we don't have anyone like Drake, but do you see no one on this team that can kill penalties and bring a high energy level to each game?