• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

boomer

Is it time to make some major moves for this year's playoff run?

Rate this topic

If Kenny's gonna make a move, I hope he can dig up a good physical defenseman somewhere. our defense turns to mush when Stuart is out... Kenny shouldnt pin all his hopes on Stuart's back, literally.

Excellent point.

I really respect your opinion, and I'm definitely not going to say that Drake was the only reason we won, but I do think he was a very important piece. He brought a physical leadership and drive to win the cup that helped the other players see a new perspective other then "this is what is was like in 97' ". I feel as though "new blood" like Neil could go a very long way to inspire this team to the next level(Only a few people on our team are fighting for their first cup, none are "grinders"). I'm not saying we couldn't just turn on a switch, but I have a very fair and objective perspective as a fan, and I find it hard to trust players no matter how much they've done for me in the past. The past is the past and it should stay as a good memory. Until they prove themselves to me this season I'll look for ways to improve my team. :D

Also our team as a whole have very good +/-'s the only people that are - are Tomas Kopecky, Darren McCarty,Niklas Kronwall,Darren Helm, Kirk Maltby,Derek Meech, and Kris Draper.

Tha't why we have to make moves, complacency kills!

The question "Is standing pat really an option?" pretty much sums up, for me, how much many of us have subconsciously grown to expect from this team every year, and especially after last year.

Unfortunately that is a bye product of having a successful team year in and year out -- the fans expectations bar rises. It really isn't a "good" or "bad" thing, rather it's a fact of life in regards to all professional sports teams, not just the Red Wings and not just in the city of Detroit.

My god, I can't believe I'm saying this, but I really hope that Holland makes ZERO moves before the trade deadline. People who know me here know that in the past years, if Holland didn't make some major moves, I'd call for his head. Well, we finally have the extra forward we so desperately needed in the Hoss. The fact is, this time....its different. We have an all-star team wearing the red wheel. This team doesn't need more or less of anything (maybe a TAD bit more grit). This time, its all about synergy. Thats right guys, synergy. This team has yet to find their common grove and is what has held them back. On paper, this is easily the best team on the ice. Off paper, well, they aren't meshing 100% yet.

If they can find that spark, that grove, and get it together, then this team has a major shot at a repeat title. Adding players is not what we need. Some people just like seeing new faces on a team before the deadline cause, well, its refreshing......its fun.....you get a new player in NHL 09.....more talk about, etc. But we have to do whats smart guys......

Edited by ShanahanMan

Here is some good news, well depending on who you are I suppose it could be good or bad news. Anyways, Montreal's George Laraques has asked for and is expecting to be traded.

LINK

With Laraque out on the market now that will subsequently bring down Neil's value because he will no longer be the top tier "tough guy" on the market.

Please, do not take this as me saying I want to get Laraque, I don't, I want to get Neil and this news hopefully betters the chances of that happening.

We'll have to wait and see though.

Here is some good news, well depending on who you are I suppose it could be good or bad news. Anyways, Montreal's George Laraques has asked for and is expecting to be traded.

LINK

With Laraque out on the market now that will subsequently bring down Neil's value because he will no longer be the top tier "tough guy" on the market.

Please, do not take this as me saying I want to get Laraque, I don't, I want to get Neil and this news hopefully betters the chances of that happening.

We'll have to wait and see though.

Laraque is always injured and doesn't really fight as often as Neil. Also, he's not as good a player. Still, if we can't get Neil, I wouldn't mind us going after Laraque.

He'd be an improvement over Kopecky.

Last year our third and fourth liners contributed the odd goal while playing 6-10 grinding minutes per game. Those were definitely important, but I rate the physical play of guys like Datsyuk, Holmstrom, Franzen, Kronwall and Stuart as more important because they are wearing on the opponents top players.

Fair enough. However, every team has a "checking line" for a reason. Ideally, the delegation is pretty clear-cut: top 6 scores, bottom 6 lays on the body and contains.

And that's saying nothing of the spark plug factor. I think a guy like Neil would give the whole lineup a nice shot in the arm, a la Drake. Given this team's drive/hunger/motivation problems this season, that warrants some consideration.

Laraque is always injured and doesn't really fight as often as Neil. Also, he's not as good a player. Still, if we can't get Neil, I wouldn't mind us going after Laraque.

He'd be an improvement over Kopecky.

I think you may have misinterpreted what I was saying. I really have no desire to bring Laraque aboard - really, none whatsoever. I was just saying that with him on the market, that may bring down the price of Neil somewhat since Neil will no longer be the only gritty, tough guy who is willing to fight whoever, whenever on the market.

It may do nothing to Neil's price, seeing as though Neil is actually a decent hockey player and Big George, well, we'll just say isn't as good. But who knows.

Laraque signed a three year contract at a vastly overpaid $1.5M caphit per. sorry folks, the hapless Habs are stuck with that... unless he's boughtout in the Fall. this won't dent Neil's trade value whatsoever.

Since 2000 (?) when the Wings made a few deals that year, one being to get Chelios at the trade deadline, have we really seen them make any huge trades since then at/around the trade deadline?

Sure Bertuzzi was known because of the "name", but nobody knew what he was going to bring. Stuart trade ended up being huge, but that wasn't an overly dramatic trade in terms of name value last year, and was the only trade the Wings made.

Given the salary cap of the team and a fairly successful roster right now, I'm not holding my breath for much to happen, nor would be disappointed if this roster pretty much stands pat. It is more than capable, but if something can be realistically done to acquire somebody like a depth defenseman who might play or 4th line help (although it is improving with this rotation system/competition), I'm all for it.

I don't want a trade to happen though just for the sake of it happening and just because it might be "exciting".