• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Wingaling

Getting sick of "Ovie's" goal celebration's

Rate this topic

To me, he's not really showing off, he's just the class clown of the NHL. I think he does it primarily for the fans. At the home games the fans go apes*** when he scores and celebrates. It pumps up the whole place, and that's exactly what the NHL needs. So what if it pisses off the other team? Go hit him ... that makes the game better too. I haven't paid enough attention, are his celebrations as flamboyant on the road as they are at home?

Guest Shoreline
To me, he's not really showing off, he's just the class clown of the NHL. I think he does it primarily for the fans. At the home games the fans go apes*** when he scores and celebrates. It pumps up the whole place, and that's exactly what the NHL needs. So what if it pisses off the other team? Go hit him ... that makes the game better too. I haven't paid enough attention, are his celebrations as flamboyant on the road as they are at home?

He celebrates all the time. And as mentioned, not just when HE scores. Even when he assists. IIRC he even went ape when getting an assist I think on the Semin goal, or even being on the ice for his goal.

I think some Katt Williams would be appropriate right now. "Be in tune with your star player". It means be yourself, because people are going to have a problem with you no matter what you do or who you are. He simply is Alex Ovechkin and people need to let him be himself and appreciate the fact he's playing in the NHL and not the KHL/Superleague.

I'd rather see Dats and Z take lessons from Ovy than vice versa. Dude is better and younger than either of our guys is, he also isn't afraid to yap and hit and get under his oponents skin. That's an element of the game that neither Dats or Z posess.

:blink:

uh Datsyuk doesn't hit? Who led the team in hits in the playoffs last year? He may be younger, and sure he is a great offensive talent, but unitl he is at the top of the scoring list AND gets serious consideration for the Selke every year, then in no way is he BETTER than Datsyuk OR Zetterberg. Oh, he also needs to lead his team to a Championship (not necessary, but would help if you want me to consider him a BETTER player.) BTW, Datsyuk isn't afraid to stand up to anyone (ie. Gary Roberts)

so, come back when you have a better argument

I'm tired of people (media) commenting on Oveckin's goal celebrations.

Aaahhh....the irony!

AO scores a goal and celebrates. He loves to score. He loves to celebrate. Why shouldn't one lead to the other? The guy is playing professional hockey with the greatest players in the world, of course he's going to celebrate. He does it his way. I don't see the big deal, I even like to watch it sometimes. He's having fun. It's almost like he looks like one of those guys that plays for the game not the paycheque.

Aaahhh....the irony!

AO scores a goal and celebrates. He loves to score. He loves to celebrate. Why shouldn't one lead to the other? The guy is playing professional hockey with the greatest players in the world, of course he's going to celebrate. He does it his way. I don't see the big deal, I even like to watch it sometimes. He's having fun. It's almost like he looks like one of those guys that plays for the game not the paycheque.

I completely agree. Why would someone not want anyone who doesn't absolutely love the game they play and bring all that excitement to the fans that support them and the players he plays with? You think someone is not going to want to play with someone who brings excitement and enjoyment to the game each and every night? Well maybe not Sidney 'Crybaby' Crosby..

He hits, he scores, he defends, he enjoyes every minute.

The guys on our team are cut from a different cloth. Not a better cloth, but a different one. They're more low-key and laid back, Ovie is more exuberant. The game would be boring if everyone reacted the same way all the time. Personally, I prefer how our guys do it, but that doesn't mean another way is wrong.....provided you're not showboating. THAT I don't like at all. Be mature. Be excited, but be mature.

The thing i dont like about ovie is the other day he was set up perfectly for a open net by his other linemate and just went off with his celebration. Doing his celebration he skated right by one of his teamates leaving out to dry. This is totally disrespectful because his linemate did the work and he just left him hanging. Unlike red wings who greet and hug and headbutt each other right away giving EVERYONE ON THE ICE credit for the goal.

I really like Ovechkin and I don't particularly mind what he does.

But generally speaking, I prefer to see excessive celebrations met with a punch in the face. The enhances the entertainment value, because in addition to the unadulterated, cathartic emotion of the celebration, you also might get to see an act of brutal violence.

I LOVE THIS GAME.

:blink:

uh Datsyuk doesn't hit? Who led the team in hits in the playoffs last year? He may be younger, and sure he is a great offensive talent, but unitl he is at the top of the scoring list AND gets serious consideration for the Selke every year, then in no way is he BETTER than Datsyuk OR Zetterberg. Oh, he also needs to lead his team to a Championship (not necessary, but would help if you want me to consider him a BETTER player.) BTW, Datsyuk isn't afraid to stand up to anyone (ie. Gary Roberts)

so, come back when you have a better argument

Well put...Datsyuk is the best all-around forward in the game, IMO. And wailing on Gary Roberts was what clinched my opinion. All due respect to Ovie and Malkin, they're also great. But a Selke winner AND a top 5 scorer with that skill set and work ethic? Game over.

If Ovechkin were North American, he'd be the best thing to ever happen to hockey. You'd be hard pressed to find a guy who has a better personality, combined with a love for the game and wearing his emotion on his sleeve.

I question whether Ovechkin even has the ability to contain himself when he scores a goal.

If Ovechkin were North American, he'd be the best thing to ever happen to hockey. You'd be hard pressed to find a guy who has a better personality, combined with a love for the game and wearing his emotion on his sleeve.

I question whether Ovechkin even has the ability to contain himself when he scores a goal.

QFT.

A.O is the man regardless.

I really like Ovechkin and I don't particularly mind what he does.

But generally speaking, I prefer to see excessive celebrations met with a punch in the face. The enhances the entertainment value, because in addition to the unadulterated, cathartic emotion of the celebration, you also might get to see an act of brutal violence.

I LOVE THIS GAME.

Seriously, I love that part. You have 2 choices to stop him from celebrating.

#1 - Don't let him do it. This one's kind of tough to accomplish.

#2 - Beat the s*** out of him so he doesn't want to do it anymore. Much easier to do.

The thing i dont like about ovie is the other day he was set up perfectly for a open net by his other linemate and just went off with his celebration. Doing his celebration he skated right by one of his teamates leaving out to dry. This is totally disrespectful because his linemate did the work and he just left him hanging. Unlike red wings who greet and hug and headbutt each other right away giving EVERYONE ON THE ICE credit for the goal.

Yes! this is the s*** im talking about, I love Ovie but sometimes hes a glory hog, or at very least makes "some" people feel like he is. He does it for EVERY goal, and the guy scores alot dude! and to everyone who gets soo mad reading this s*** F U every one has an opinion and Im pretty sure without opinions this site would not be here.

At one time, Alex almost quit hockey because his parents were unable to transport him to the hockey rink on a daily basis. Alex’s older brother Sergei recognized Alex’s talent and unique passion for the game and insisted on taking him to the rink so he could continue to play. Years later, in an event that would change Alex forever, Sergei tragically died in a car accident. Alex still credits his late older brother for pushing him to continue to play hockey and thinks about him daily. To this day, when Alex scores, he will often kiss his glove and point to the sky in a salute to his brother Sergei.

http://www.alexovechkin8.com/about/

So the kid celebrates in memoir of his brother, give him a break...

I can put up with a little over the top exuberance if that is his way of expressing his appreciation of luck, sacrifice and work he and his family have sacrificed to get to the top of the NHL.

I would contrast his approach with Crosby and every other spoiled, North American athlete, who basically have had a silver spoon stuck up their asses through their development. One of the reasons people hate Crosby so much is that he brings the same egocentric spoiled attitude to hockey that has existed in the NBA/NFL/MLB for some time.

Edited by clutchngrab

Not everyone had role models like Stevie Y and Lidstrom to teach them how to be professional like our guys.

Exactly.

The guy is a supreme talent, and he plays on his emotion, it's all he knows.

But I think he'll find out when the Capitals start getting into serious playoff situations in the future that in big games emotions can be your worst enemy when you lack composure. Granted we're just talking goal celebrations here, but still it's a window allowing a view into how deeply seated emotion is in his game.

Edited by #19forPresident!

:lol::clap:

esteef

ive been waiting YEARS for this topic to come up!!! JESUS I HATE OVECHKIN!!!!! every goal he scores is celebrated like it's his first ever, or the stanley cup winning goal. I have absolutly NO RESPECT for the individual. I'd much rather have a Brett Hull type guy who gave MAYBE a fist pump, then skated to the bench or faceoff circle. Ovechkin bangs the boards and flops around like a fish...just another way to show up your opponent.. this just proves how little respect the younger players have for other players...f*** OVECHKIN.

So he shows a little bit of emotion and wants to get the crowd jacked up. Big whoop. It's not like he's rubbing celebrations down opposing players' throats.

I'm generally a quiet/behind the scenes kinda person that doesn't show much emotion but if he wants to let loose like he normally does, more power to him, it's not hurting anybody.

ive been waiting YEARS for this topic to come up!!! JESUS I HATE OVECHKIN!!!!! every goal he scores is celebrated like it's his first ever, or the stanley cup winning goal. I have absolutly NO RESPECT for the individual. I'd much rather have a Brett Hull type guy who gave MAYBE a fist pump, then skated to the bench or faceoff circle. Ovechkin bangs the boards and flops around like a fish...just another way to show up your opponent.. this just proves how little respect the younger players have for other players...f*** OVECHKIN.

It's disrespectful if you do it front of the opponents' bench or obviously taunt them somehow when you do it. Otherwise it's just a show of emotion. Sure there might be a little gamesmanship involved, but it's only disrespectful if you want to take that way. And if an NHL player takes that as disrespect, he's honestly kind of a *****.

I've never understood why people in any sport make this argument without realizing how foolish it is.

What if everyone celebrated this way each time they scored a goal. No one can get a shutout in every game. There are plenty of players who don't act like ass clowns when they score, and I can name you plenty more in the game's history that didn't. Ovechkin is no more special than anyone else. Of course he's going to score, that's what great players do.

I personally don't have a problem with Ovechkin's behavior, but I can see the point the OP was trying to make. I just don't understand this "don't let them score if you don't want celebrations crap."

You tell me. What would happen if everyone celebrated that way?