• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#41 CanadaBoy

CanadaBoy

The Red Wing Ring

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,593 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 06:11 PM

At one time, Alex almost quit hockey because his parents were unable to transport him to the hockey rink on a daily basis. Alex’s older brother Sergei recognized Alex’s talent and unique passion for the game and insisted on taking him to the rink so he could continue to play. Years later, in an event that would change Alex forever, Sergei tragically died in a car accident. Alex still credits his late older brother for pushing him to continue to play hockey and thinks about him daily. To this day, when Alex scores, he will often kiss his glove and point to the sky in a salute to his brother Sergei.

http://www.alexovechkin8.com/about/

So the kid celebrates in memoir of his brother, give him a break...

Edited by CanadaBoy, 23 February 2009 - 06:12 PM.

But my most coveted thing is a high self-esteem
And a low tolerance for them telling me how to lean
See the most important parts are the ones that are unseen
The Wings don't make you fly and the Crown don't make you king
Now God don't like ugly, ain't too happy bout pretty
I am ignorance's enemy so stay out of the vicinity of...
~ Lupe Fiasco - Gold Watch

#42 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,726 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 06:12 PM

QUOTE (norrisnick @ February 23, 2009 - 04:48PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Don't like his celebrations? Stop him from scoring and the problem is solved.

I've never understood why people in any sport make this argument without realizing how foolish it is.

What if everyone celebrated this way each time they scored a goal. No one can get a shutout in every game. There are plenty of players who don't act like ass clowns when they score, and I can name you plenty more in the game's history that didn't. Ovechkin is no more special than anyone else. Of course he's going to score, that's what great players do.

I personally don't have a problem with Ovechkin's behavior, but I can see the point the OP was trying to make. I just don't understand this "don't let them score if you don't want celebrations crap."
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#43 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 06:14 PM

Only time i dont like AO is when he taunts the other team in an off the wall manner (his wave to crosby) theres a line where sportsmenship and showmenship are the same and where its just over the top, 90% of the time AO shows both, but he unforunetly is more likely to lose the sportsmenship to be more of a showmen and it should be the oppiste.
Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#44 redwing_sparty

redwing_sparty

MICHIGAN STATE 08-09 BIG TEN BASKETBALL CHAMPIONS!!!

• PipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 06:18 PM

HA! i started a thread about this last year and got slammed by sooo many people.
i don;t mind that he gets excited, what i cant stand is now its like he does it because he needs the attention. sometime he will motion for the rest of the guys to come congradulate him. i just can;t believe that he scoring is so intoxicating to him that he feels the need to jump out of his skin every time. i like him better than crosby but i'd like to see someone take him down a notch.

#45 soultrain

soultrain

hairdresser of the sharts

• Bronze Booster
  • 805 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 06:32 PM

to the dude that started this post...your a dumbass. he is probably the number one reason the nhl will be back on regular tv soon.

#46 Jocke

Jocke

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 06:43 PM

QUOTE (zenway9 @ February 23, 2009 - 10:00PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey look at me everyone, I scored a goal! Kinda "spoiled brat"...just my opinion though.

I think it's pretty much the opposite. It's not like he goes "Oh I scored a goal.. whatever.. I do it all the time why bother celebrating.."

#47 akustyk

akustyk

how painful is painful?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,170 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 06:55 PM

QUOTE (Wingaling @ February 23, 2009 - 11:56PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
..........riiigght! You are a moron. If you like avery and roenick and dont like classier players, why are you on a Wings post again????

which part of this post was supposed to increase the level of the discussion?
calling me moron, assigning to me things that I've never said, or suggesting me to quit this forum?

unsure.gif

#48 Tr!PoD#19

Tr!PoD#19

Troll

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,337 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 06:59 PM

QUOTE (CanadaBoy @ February 23, 2009 - 06:11PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
At one time, Alex almost quit hockey because his parents were unable to transport him to the hockey rink on a daily basis. Alex’s older brother Sergei recognized Alex’s talent and unique passion for the game and insisted on taking him to the rink so he could continue to play. Years later, in an event that would change Alex forever, Sergei tragically died in a car accident. Alex still credits his late older brother for pushing him to continue to play hockey and thinks about him daily. To this day, when Alex scores, he will often kiss his glove and point to the sky in a salute to his brother Sergei.

http://www.alexovechkin8.com/about/

So the kid celebrates in memoir of his brother, give him a break...

I don't think this is what people are complaining about. It's more about the way he jumps around screaming and yelling, I would imagine.

#49 Mors

Mors

The Red Death

• HoF Booster
  • 1,995 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 07:04 PM

QUOTE (soultrain @ February 23, 2009 - 06:32PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
to the dude that started this post...your a dumbass. he is probably the number one reason the nhl will be back on regular tv soon.

Maybe we're giving Ovechkin a little too much credit here eh? Should the other 800+ players in the NHL pack it in?

Ovechkin has 3 more points than Datsyuk...people need to get off his dick already. I'd bet any amount of money if this thread was about ANY other player acting in a similar manner regularly, people would call him a showboat and say he's unprofessional. I personally don't give a s***, if he wants to celebrate, let him, but don't put him above the same scorn any other player would receive for doing the same thing day in and day out.

#50 arnoldbuck

arnoldbuck

Can you see the Shooter!?

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,426 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 07:11 PM

I dont doubt that the guy, "loves to score," and truth be told, most of the time I get pumped on his enthusiasm, but even in the heat of the moment/game, there can be times for restraint.
There was a post the other week about why Ovie will never be the face of the NHL that sid is. And it mentioned a game, I believe against Boston where AO scored the 5th goal in a 5-0 game. ... and he celebrated by bouncing off the glass.
It can be said for many things, it was in the heat of the moment and I go caught up and jsut did it ... hits, slashing, and I guess celebrations can be added. But it doesnt take that much thought to simply said, maybe I should hold back this time.
No Matter How Many Fish in the Sea ... It'll be So Empty Without Me
I'm a lover, not a fighter. But I'm also a fighter, so don't get any idea's.

#51 lets go pavel

lets go pavel

Pacifiers are for pansies. I chew pucks!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 07:36 PM

To me, he's not really showing off, he's just the class clown of the NHL. I think he does it primarily for the fans. At the home games the fans go apes*** when he scores and celebrates. It pumps up the whole place, and that's exactly what the NHL needs. So what if it pisses off the other team? Go hit him ... that makes the game better too. I haven't paid enough attention, are his celebrations as flamboyant on the road as they are at home?
"The one thing I love about Datsyuk, and there is much to love, is that no other player is like him. And, at least in recent history, it's hard to think of any player who has really been like him. He is a unique freak of nature in how he stick checks and operates in tight quarters. It's amazing how he deceives people from a stand-still position or when he isn't moving very fast. He is hockey's David Blaine." -- John Buccigross

#52 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 07:38 PM

QUOTE (lets go pavel @ February 23, 2009 - 04:36PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
To me, he's not really showing off, he's just the class clown of the NHL. I think he does it primarily for the fans. At the home games the fans go apes*** when he scores and celebrates. It pumps up the whole place, and that's exactly what the NHL needs. So what if it pisses off the other team? Go hit him ... that makes the game better too. I haven't paid enough attention, are his celebrations as flamboyant on the road as they are at home?

He celebrates all the time. And as mentioned, not just when HE scores. Even when he assists. IIRC he even went ape when getting an assist I think on the Semin goal, or even being on the ice for his goal.

I think some Katt Williams would be appropriate right now. "Be in tune with your star player". It means be yourself, because people are going to have a problem with you no matter what you do or who you are. He simply is Alex Ovechkin and people need to let him be himself and appreciate the fact he's playing in the NHL and not the KHL/Superleague.

#53 vangvace

vangvace

no such thing as overkill

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,454 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 07:41 PM

AO shows this thing called passion and has fun at the NHL level.

Fun, passion, and even villians are needed to make the game something other than a bunch of bots on the ice.
I make 1 or 2 posts a week tops. Sometimes they're gold, sometimes they're crap, but the end weight is the same.

http://www.letsgowin...tion=boardrules

#54 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,612 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 07:48 PM

QUOTE (micah @ February 23, 2009 - 03:40PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'd rather see Dats and Z take lessons from Ovy than vice versa. Dude is better and younger than either of our guys is, he also isn't afraid to yap and hit and get under his oponents skin. That's an element of the game that neither Dats or Z posess.

blink.gif
uh Datsyuk doesn't hit? Who led the team in hits in the playoffs last year? He may be younger, and sure he is a great offensive talent, but unitl he is at the top of the scoring list AND gets serious consideration for the Selke every year, then in no way is he BETTER than Datsyuk OR Zetterberg. Oh, he also needs to lead his team to a Championship (not necessary, but would help if you want me to consider him a BETTER player.) BTW, Datsyuk isn't afraid to stand up to anyone (ie. Gary Roberts)

so, come back when you have a better argument

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#55 Elshupacabra

Elshupacabra

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,044 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 07:53 PM

I'm tired of people (media) commenting on Oveckin's goal celebrations.

Edited by Elshupacabra, 23 February 2009 - 07:57 PM.

#56 Kevvie

Kevvie

2 minutes for Instigating

• Pip
  • 75 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 08:03 PM

QUOTE (Elshupacabra @ February 23, 2009 - 06:53PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm tired of people (media) commenting on Oveckin's goal celebrations.

Aaahhh....the irony!

AO scores a goal and celebrates. He loves to score. He loves to celebrate. Why shouldn't one lead to the other? The guy is playing professional hockey with the greatest players in the world, of course he's going to celebrate. He does it his way. I don't see the big deal, I even like to watch it sometimes. He's having fun. It's almost like he looks like one of those guys that plays for the game not the paycheque.

#57 Schmack

Schmack

Jr. Prospect

• 25 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 08:09 PM

QUOTE (Kevvie @ February 23, 2009 - 08:03PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Aaahhh....the irony!

AO scores a goal and celebrates. He loves to score. He loves to celebrate. Why shouldn't one lead to the other? The guy is playing professional hockey with the greatest players in the world, of course he's going to celebrate. He does it his way. I don't see the big deal, I even like to watch it sometimes. He's having fun. It's almost like he looks like one of those guys that plays for the game not the paycheque.

I completely agree. Why would someone not want anyone who doesn't absolutely love the game they play and bring all that excitement to the fans that support them and the players he plays with? You think someone is not going to want to play with someone who brings excitement and enjoyment to the game each and every night? Well maybe not Sidney 'Crybaby' Crosby..

He hits, he scores, he defends, he enjoyes every minute.

#58 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 08:45 PM

The guys on our team are cut from a different cloth. Not a better cloth, but a different one. They're more low-key and laid back, Ovie is more exuberant. The game would be boring if everyone reacted the same way all the time. Personally, I prefer how our guys do it, but that doesn't mean another way is wrong.....provided you're not showboating. THAT I don't like at all. Be mature. Be excited, but be mature.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#59 cnot19

cnot19

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 08:47 PM

Personally I love the emotion and excitement, one of the reasons he is so popular.
Get me a real fourth line Kenny!

#60 smity8000

smity8000

Draftee

• 9 posts

Posted 23 February 2009 - 08:54 PM

The thing i dont like about ovie is the other day he was set up perfectly for a open net by his other linemate and just went off with his celebration. Doing his celebration he skated right by one of his teamates leaving out to dry. This is totally disrespectful because his linemate did the work and he just left him hanging. Unlike red wings who greet and hug and headbutt each other right away giving EVERYONE ON THE ICE credit for the goal.