• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Wingaling

"OVIE" or "DATS":Best overall player...you pick

Rate this topic

Guest Shoreline

I have to agree. Crosby is the best.

(The kidding part was more directed toward the ridiculous topic)

Edited by Shoreline

Crosby. He's the most complete player in the world.

Ovechkin's defensive game takes him out of the running.

I fail to see how Crosby is more complete then Dats?? Dats is only five points behind him and far better defensively? You'll need to explain

Guest Shoreline
i choose crosby, a guy that can score like that doesnt need to play defense.

Agreed completely.

I fail to see how Crosby is more complete then Dats?? Dats is only five points behind him and far better defensively? You'll need to explain

Crosby is much better offensively than Datsyuk, he just isn't putting up as many points this year because he's not 100% healthy and he's got absolute crap for linemates.

Datsyuk is better than Crosby without the puck, but I don't feel that the gap is enough that it makes up for the offensive side of things. Plus, Crosby has a better physical package.

I just don't see anything in Crosby's game that he doesn't do well. He's the best. Period.

i choose ovechkin, a guy that can score like that doesnt need to play defense.

But see Crosby wouldn't even need to play offense to get into the HoF. He should be the conn smythe winner every year, just because he is going to lead the NHL to the promised land like moses. They need to rename the Stanley Cup into the Crosby Cup.

Guest Shoreline
But see Crosby wouldn't even need to play offense to get into the HoF. He should be the conn smythe winner every year, just because he is going to lead the NHL to the promised land like moses. They need to rename the Stanley Cup into the Crosby Cup.

So Crosby is Obama AND Jesus. Damn, give that guy every trophy and the Stanley Cup right now. He'd also make a good messiah and President.

Edited by Shoreline

So Crosby is Obama AND Jesus. Damn, give that guy every trophy and the Stanley Cup right now. He'd also make a good messiah and President.

Will you join me in the Church of Sidney Crosby? If you come to enough sessions you won't feel pain in the groin, and also get to live in someone's basement! It's pretty sweet.

Crosby is by far the best overall player in the league. He's also one of the classiest, and probably one of the best leaders as well.

Datsyuk is definitely top 20 material, but I'd rank guys like Spezza, Kovalchuk, Kovalev, Clutterbuck and Tootoo above him.

Guest Shoreline
Crosby is by far the best overall player in the league. He's also one of the classiest, and probably one of the best leaders as well.

Datsyuk is definitely top 20 material, but I'd rank guys like Spezza, Kovalchuk, Kovalev, Clutterbuck and Tootoo above him.

Datsyuk could never match Clutterbuck. He's the next Gretzky.

If you were to trade bewtween the 2....I believe the trade would be a wash.

I believe that Datsyuk fits in better to Detroit's 'team first' attitude and Ovechkin fits in better to Washington's 'Ovechkin-centric' offense.

What would Detroit gain with Ovechkin?

- a few years

What would Detroit lose with Ovechkin

- bigger cap hit

- less disciplined play

- less defensive skill

What would Washington gain with Datysuk

- smaller cap hit

- defensive skill up front

What would Washington lose with Datsyuk

- a few years

- some offense

The more I think about this, this is one of those trades that could possibly be a lose-lose for both teams. Both teams have their offense primarily driven around these two players. Datsyuk feeds Zetterberg and the two of them have an uncanny ability to find one another. Backstrom feeds Ovechkin and they two have an uncanny ability to find one another.

IFF Datsyuk plays on a line with Semin and Backstrom both, then this deal would work out well for Washington because Ovechkin and Zetterberg would never complement one another (nor would Ovechkin and Franzen).

Dastyuk is the better skater, the better puckhandler, and the smarter player. He's a team first player. Ovechkin is a faster skater, and has a better shot, and is far away a flashier player. But whereas Datsyuk leads the NHL in takeaways, Ovechkin leads in giveaways.

Datsyuk is the type of player that all teams would love (if he could only fight than he would rival Iginla as the leagues premier player) and he currently excels in the team first dynamic that Detroit has. If Detroit had a bona fide goal scorer in the Ovechkin/Kovalchuk/Heatley mode, Datsyuk would a perennial contender for the Art Ross.

Ovechkin on the other hand is not as well loved around the league as Washington fans would have the world believe. He is prone to taking nnecessary hits (as per his own coach and GM), he is prone to taking unnecessary shots (as evidenced by his league leading missed shots total), and he has led the NHL in giveaways two years running. Fortunately, he is deadly around the net, and has matured into one of the great goal scorers. As long as there is someone to get the puck to him, he'll find a way to put it in.

But, this is a trade both teams would lose as the effect of losing your offensive cornerstone would be difficult to overcome despite the trade being a straight up of two superstars.

BIG question mark I have about Ovechkin, and a question mark I had with Lecavalier 5-6 seasons ago. It's great to be extremely talented, and be a superstar. But at some point, you need to gain maturity for the game and be able to read it. It took Lecavalier a while to do that. Ovechkin hasn't got there yet. At the risk of ruining my reputation. Had Alexandre Daigle showed any desire to gain maturity for the game, and learn how to read it and be a team player, people would have a lot more respect for him and he might have become a solid NHLer (and maybe even still be playing).

Another way to look at it:

If Datsyuk was drafted 1st overall, and was thrust into the NHL as a 1st line forward, I think he would have done a lot better than 35 points. In Datsyuk's rookie season Detroit had guys with the last names of Robitaille, Hull, Shanahan, Fedorov, Kozlov, and one name escapes me.......oh yeah.........Yzerman. A team that won the Stanley Cup.

Ovechkin came into a team with names like Halpern, Zubrus, Willsie, Sutherby, Pettinger (shall I continue?)

Patrick Kane led the Chicago Black hawks in scoring last year for 2 reasons. One, Havlat was injured for ages, and Two, he WAS the man. Steve Stamkos is NOT leading the Lightning in scoring this year for three reasons, Lecavalier, St. Louis, and Prospal.

Datsyuk's development happened because there were hall of famers ahead of him. Stamkos' development is happening because there are recent Richard and Ross trophy winners ahead of him. Ovechkin's sudden stardom happened because he was talented and was givent 22 minutes of ice time (Datsyuk only broke the 20 minute mark last year, and played 13 minutes as a rookie).

I took their situations in hand.

Who is the better player? Ovechkin, but not by much. Given the teams involved, I don't make the trade. Now, had he said Zetterberg for Ovechkin (and since Detroit fans consider Zetterberg and Datsyuk almost as equals)............I do that trade in a heartbeat if I'm Detroit because Ovechkin's offensive sensibilities outweigh Zetterberg's defensive mastery.

I can go on........

That being said I'd rather have Crosby or Iginla over both.

This made me laugh out loud. Nice work. :thumbup:

Crosby is much better offensively than Datsyuk, he just isn't putting up as many points this year because he's not 100% healthy and he's got absolute crap for linemates.

Datsyuk is better than Crosby without the puck, but I don't feel that the gap is enough that it makes up for the offensive side of things. Plus, Crosby has a better physical package.

I just don't see anything in Crosby's game that he doesn't do well. He's the best. Period.

I'm sorry but do you even watch Penguin games? Datsyuk smokes Crosby this season and its not even funny. And yes, I have watched plently of both to know how much better Dats is.

It makes me sick when I see people underrate Pasha, the guy is the best all around player in the league. No one has anything on him.

Mike Green hands down. Sure, he may as well be a pylon when the opposition has the puck, and his positioning instincts remind of a cockroach when the lights go on... but what a shot!

I'm sorry but do you even watch Penguin games? Datsyuk smokes Crosby this season and its not even funny. And yes, I have watched plently of both to know how much better Dats is.

It makes me sick when I see people underrate Pasha, the guy is the best all around player in the league. No one has anything on him.

Yeah, this season it's close, I said that. But Crosby isn't healthy and has terrible linemates....and he still has more points than Datsyuk.

I can name like 10 people better then Datsyuk. He is soo overrated. Plus he is short.