• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

NeverForgetMac25

2009 NHL Trade Deadline Thread

Rate this topic

I've been thinking the same thing. This guy's a cancer everywhere he goes.

Guy never had anything to play for. He has never been on a true contender, wait and see him explode.

Leopold is much bigger of a deal as it provides them a puck mover that is going to energize the backline.

They aren't the Wings, but they are definately in it. It is a four team race in the West; Wings, Sharks, Flames, and whoever the surprise team is going to be because there is always one.

Carolina re-acquires Cole? What is this, backwards day?

I don't understand the logic in that move at all, unless they've just given up on Justin Williams completely because of his injury history the past few years.

Really, I hadn't heard that before, although it may explain his playoff drought.

There were rumors that was the reason he was traded in the first place. I guess hes a "first guy off the ice at practice" kind of guy, and JM didn't like how his attitude was affecting younger players like Horton, Booth, etc.

This just in.

To Det: A good work ethic

At this point, thats what we're going to need to compete. The Wings have the best talent in the NHL, the question is...can they perform like it? On the bright side, it'll be nice to see what this team is actually made of if/when they kick it into high gear.

There were rumors that was the reason he was traded in the first place. I guess hes a "first guy off the ice at practice" kind of guy, and JM didn't like how his attitude was affecting younger players like Horton, Booth, etc.

Good move then. Look at how Yzerman, Shanahan, Larianov, Hull, and Lidstrom have positively affected the young guys that played with and eventually replaced them.

Datsyuk and Zetterberg will be here quite a while. I hope they are as effective in passing on those hard-working values.

This isn't a jump off the bow, but just a simple critique.

Generally, I am a fan of Ken Holland, and I think as a GM, he is among the best in the league.

However, he failed today. We had the cap space to add a depth player. Now, before anyone says "WAHHHH, when would he play/who would sit/etc," let's consider the fact that injuries happen-- and the depth pool can never be deep enough.

What good does cap space do for us after the deadline? None. This team needed at least a small tweak. You can't tell me it wouldn't be more appealing for Anaheim to trade Moen to Detroit than San Jose.

This just in.

To Det: A good work ethic

At this point, thats what we're going to need to compete. The Wings have the best talent in the NHL, the question is...can they perform like it? On the bright side, it'll be nice to see what this team is actually made of if/when they kick it into high gear.

Source? :)

In the closing seconds the Hawks and Sharks made moves while the Wings stood pat. You're right--we have the talent to compete. Let's just hope the last three games (great game against SJ, debacle against Nashville, Hossa scare and then great team effort against St. Louis) give the team the kick in the seat they need.

Once the roster limit is lifted, Kopecky, Maltby, Draper, Helm, and Leino are going to have to duke it out for the last three spots. I think we'll see some sick performances out of our bottom 2 lines to ride out the season - there are going to be a lot of guys that want those last few spots.

I think Maltbys gonna be a scratch come game 1 of the playoffs. Even Kopecky is looking better than him of late.

Generally, I am a fan of Ken Holland, and I think as a GM, he is among the best in the league.

However, he failed today. We had the cap space to add a depth player. Now, before anyone says "WAHHHH, when would he play/who would sit/etc," let's consider the fact that injuries happen-- and the depth pool can never be deep enough.

What good does cap space do for us after the deadline? None. This team needed at least a small tweak. You can't tell me it wouldn't be more appealing for Anaheim to trade Moen to Detroit than San Jose.

:ranting:

depth HERE

end of story.

Edited by spydrwebb

Not really, no.

Holland did his work at the beginning of the year and lost no prospects or picks as a result.

Bravo, I say.

Someone says this every. single. year.

This team's fine the way it is. The only "tweak" they need has to do with their mentality.

Waaah!

Your concern is certainly valid, but we have a pretty deep pool. We're assuming Helm and Leino will start the playoffs, but two guys will have to come out of the line-up. We have a lot of defense depth and we have a few grinders that can be plugged in where injuries occur.

Moen would have been good, but we have guys that can do his job already on the big team and in the minors.