• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

NeverForgetMac25

2009 NHL Trade Deadline Thread

Rate this topic

Guest mindfly
I think Burkie just took a shot at Holland during his presser. Did anyone else hear that?

Wha wha whaaat did he say?

What did he say? Must not have been paying attention...

He made a jab about long-term contracts and said people would regret signing those after 2010-11.

Also, what the f*** is with the trade onscreen now? Olaf Kolzig, Jamie Heward, Andy Rogers and a fourth-rounder (TB to TOR) for Richard Petiot (TOR to TB).

This isn't a jump off the bow, but just a simple critique.

Generally, I am a fan of Ken Holland, and I think as a GM, he is among the best in the league.

However, he failed today. We had the cap space to add a depth player. Now, before anyone says "WAHHHH, when would he play/who would sit/etc," let's consider the fact that injuries happen-- and the depth pool can never be deep enough.

What good does cap space do for us after the deadline? None. This team needed at least a small tweak. You can't tell me it wouldn't be more appealing for Anaheim to trade Moen to Detroit than San Jose.

We won the cup last year with a fraction of the talent we have now. We also have at our disposal our own personal group of acquisitions that can fill just about any role we need in Grand Rapids for free. That is, no loss of current players or draft picks.

I promise, we're fine.

Waaah!

Your concern is certainly valid, but we have a pretty deep pool. We're assuming Helm and Leino will start the playoffs, but two guys will have to come out of the line-up. We have a lot of defense depth and we have a few grinders that can be plugged in where injuries occur.

Moen would have been good, but we have guys that can do his job already on the big team and in the minors.

Moen is a -17 so far this year. I'd rather have Meech in the lineup

Guest Shoreline

Cujo getting the shaft by the Leafs it looks like in getting 2 goalies.

Good job in the Gerber f***up.

I think Burkie just took a shot at Holland during his presser. Did anyone else hear that?
What did he say?

One thing that never changes is his disdain for anything and everyone. He is a self-centered hypocrite, who claims players are never above the game, yet he himself acts just that way. But ahhh, I do take GREAT comfort in knowing he will NEVER, EVER bring that joke of an organization anywhere near a Stanley Cup. :rolleyes:

Also, what the f*** is with the trade onscreen now? Olaf Kolzig, Jamie Heward, Andy Rogers and a fourth-rounder (TB to TOR) for Richard Petiot (TOR to TB).

No clue ... maybe they're just bored?

Guest mindfly

Tkachuk was in fact traded to ducks but the fax machine f***ed up so the blues gm told him to come back, the deal was no more :S that's... wicked :o

This isn't a jump off the bow, but just a simple critique.

Generally, I am a fan of Ken Holland, and I think as a GM, he is among the best in the league.

However, he failed today. We had the cap space to add a depth player. Now, before anyone says "WAHHHH, when would he play/who would sit/etc," let's consider the fact that injuries happen-- and the depth pool can never be deep enough.

What good does cap space do for us after the deadline? None. This team needed at least a small tweak. You can't tell me it wouldn't be more appealing for Anaheim to trade Moen to Detroit than San Jose.

What did you want him to do? There is no cap space. We have contracts and big decisions coming soon. There's no room. No goalie is out there which is a significant step up from Ozzie-Conky. We have too many defenceman than we do roster spots. Our scoring forwards are all good with Z-D-H-F-Homer. We might have used a sandpaper type of guy but we have Downey.

We don't need anything that some practice and confidence won't fix.

Edited by T.OWingsFan

Trades are always fun, but really, in retrospect, we're fine, like everyone has been saying. We're deep, and look to see Ericcson providing that defenseman role we needed and Helm and Leino to spark the lower lines come playoff time.

With Ozzie seemingly back to form and Conklin solid as always, I'm very comfortable with the team we have. They just need to play with heart.

I have to agree, the Wings are still the team to beat. Boy, Cal-GARY just made themselves a pain to play against. It's going to be an awesome stanley cup playoffs this year. Can't wait.

Okay, the trade there makes sense now. Looks like Toronto is taking players from Tampa because Tampa needs to clear cap space. Petiot was coincidental to the deal to make it a "legal" hockey trade. The three players Toronto receives are essentially worthless, but they get a 4th-rounder for their trouble.

Also, Ales Kotalik from Buffalo to Edmonton.

Anyone realize that Toronto now has FIVE goalies?

Toskala

Joseph

Pogge

Gerber

Kolzig

Toskala is having season ending surgery. Burke just said he doesn't want Joseph shouldering the rest of the load. Kolzig is injured; they took cap space from Tamba Bay so they could dump some salary. As far as the others, Burke probably miscounted.

Cujo getting the shaft by the Leafs it looks like in getting 2 goalies.

Good job in the Gerber f***up.

Toskala is out for the season. Gerber will be the starter. Kolzig - the water boy. :lol:

Why the Leafs don't bring up Justin Pogge to play in half their remaining games is strange. Somewhere in Burke's mind he must think this team has a shot at a playoff spot. Like hockey heads have wondered numerous times, when are the Leafs going to give him a chance, good or bad, to see exactly where he's at. No, instead the Leafs play him a game here, a game there. And they wonder why their team is the butt of so many jokes.

Edited by motorcitykid

Tkachuk was in fact traded to ducks but the fax machine f***ed up so the blues gm told him to come back, the deal was no more :S that's... wicked :o

Seriously? Guess they won't be using 1990s technology in the future when big deals are involved.

Anyone realize that Toronto now has FIVE goalies?

Toskala

Joseph

Pogge

Gerber

Kolzig

lmao and they are all complete s***!

maybe they figure they will work their goalies like the BJ's work their pitchers... get a goalie in the rotation every 5 games hahaha