• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Yzerman191

New Jersey

Rate this topic

I think New Jersey has really surprised a lot of people this year. During Brodeur's return tonight, they shutout Colorado 4-0. Does anybody consider New Jersey a top contender this year? They've fared pretty well against the best (lost to us, but won 2/3 against the Bruins, and their lone game against the Sharks) while having Clemmensen in net.

They've got a lot of offensively-capable, but very defensively responsible forwards up front. While lacking the big names they've had on their blueline in the past, they've been pretty solid on the back end this season. And if Marty Brodeur is back to his usual shape (that man is gold in the playoffs), they're among the best in the league in net. I think they're legit contenders. They've got the experience that many players on the Bruins lack, and they're much more defensively responsible than the entire Washington Capitals. Aside from those three teams, I wouldn't call any other team from the Eastern Conference a contender.

They've got about 2.5M in cap space (they could take a fairly large prorated salary on), and could really bolster their blueline next Wednesday. If the Ducks are out of the race, perhaps they'd consider trading Neidermayer back to the Devils for his last run at the Cup?

What do you guys think? Who do you see coming out of the East?

Didn't watch Brodeur tonight, but a shutout tells me he's back and as strong as when he left.

The Devils are a very dangerous team, and may even have what it takes to win the cup.

Hot goaltender(s) + lots of playoff experience + consistent scoring = great recipe. Reminds me of last year's Wings in a way. We know Brodeur can do it, and to have a fresh Brodeur, instead of his usual 70+ games a season, who knows what will happen. I've been thinking they'd be a threat once Marty was back, had no reason to believe they could make it to the playoffs without him (they barely scored before). And so, my pick will be the Devils from the east. And a toss-up between the Wings and Sharks from the West, based on our performance against SJ, even without "homerism"

Brent Sutter should win the Jack Adams. No question. Unbelievable how good this team was 50 games without Brodeur. I think their season series against Boston is 3-1, and 2-2 against the Caps. I'm picking them to come out of the East.

Edited by Tr!PoD#19

I think you could toss Boston, Washington, and New Jersey into a hat and pull any one of them out. The only issue New Jersey has is now that he was sent down, Clemmensen told Lou he wanted to be traded since he's more than proven he can be a #1 guy somewhere. Do the Devils trade him for some big depth at the trade deadline thinking they can win with Brodeur and Weekes or hang onto him in case Marty goes down again? The Devils DO need a puck moving defenseman who can help beat some intense forechecking. The last few weeks I've been watching them and when they look bad it's because the other team is sending a couple guys in on the forecheck. The defense corps they have now sometime panic and start icing the puck or giving it away. Parise is great but sems to need somebody helping him get the puck moving with speed. If Parise or Langenbrunner gets hurt for any length of time, that could be an issue. Losing either could relegate them to being a one line team.

Maybe that X factor is Niedermayer, I think they could get Leopold from the Avs and do OK and spend less and Lou loves a bargain....

Boston, Washington, Philly, and New Jersey seem to be the best in the east this year. I think it's going to be interesting to see how these four fair out. I still think Washington beats Boston in the ECF series.

I actually expect them to be in the Finals.

Boston hasn't had enough playoff experience to go there just yet. Also, Tim Thomas reminds me too much of Turco with his style. It's not a style of goaltending that is great for a long playoff run. He's just too wild.

Wings vs. Devils in a rematch of the 95 Finals.

Guest Shoreline
Wings vs. Devils in a rematch of the 95 Finals.

That would be the only case I'd want to see the Devils in the finals. Get revenge. Otherwise, let Washington or Philly have a chance. I'm sure they'd want a crack at the Wings again for almost the same reason.

Kind of shows that Marty is a tad overrated and that their system defines their goaltender.

Brodeur has 4 shutouts in 13 games compared to Clemmensen's 2 in 40.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA
Brodeur has 4 shutouts in 13 games compared to Clemmensen's 2 in 40.

lulz epic fail