• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

coloradowingnut

atdhe

Rate this topic

Guest DetroitBoy313

No offense here guys really and I'm not trying to sound all booshy and s*** but you can't shell out 149 bux for NHL center ice? 149 dollars?? Save 5 bux a week until next season and you won't have to worry about not being able to watch games.It's for the whole damn season for God's sake,it's not like your paying 149 a month.But whatever I understand people are tight financially now a days but............149 bux??

No offense here guys really and I'm not trying to sound all booshy and s*** but you can't shell out 149 bux for NHL center ice? 149 dollars?? Save 5 bux a week until next season and you won't have to worry about not being able to watch games.It's for the whole damn season for God's sake,it's not like your paying 149 a month.But whatever I understand people are tight financially now a days but............149 bux??

Can I afford it? Yes

Will I pay for it? Nope - not as long as the force me to pay for games I could care less about. I canceled my cable over five years ago for the same reason. I admit it - I'm a tightwad....

The word is "bougie" by the way, from the word "bourgeoisie".

In any event, no I cannot afford $149 a month. Here's my home situation. My mother is unemployed. She can't find work because even though she's qualified, she's 59 years old and no one will hire her. I work and so does my father, and our combined paychecks go toward making sure the mortgage is paid and the bills are paid and all the necessities are cared for. My financial situation got so bad I had to move back in with my parents, much to my embarrassment. So every dime I make that does not go toward helping pay our household bills, goes into a savings account so that I can move back out again.

So please tell me where the $149 is supposed to come from. Especially when every frickin' dime must be carefully monitored. "Oh hey Dad, I'm the only Wings fan in the house, can I waste $149 on something only one of us will use, on a TV that I don't have access to that often because other family members watch it too? Awesome."

Yeah, I can see us having that conversation.

Guest DetroitBoy313
Can I afford it? Yes

Will I pay for it? Nope - not as long as the force me to pay for games I could care less about. I canceled my cable over five years ago for the same reason. I admit it - I'm a tightwad....

Force you to pay for games you don't wanna see? LoL! Look man it's all or nothing just like most things in life.When you get married you would love to choose to cut out all of the problems and complaints that will come along with you wife when you marry her but that's not gonna happen.Either you pay for it or you don't.I think NHL center ice is a great thing,sometimes when the Wings are not on there is NO HOCKEY to watch on TV.I've had NHL center ice for 6 years now and I love it,I mean I don't care for some of the games either but I still watch anyway because when the Wings are not on MOST of the time there is NO hockey on TV.

Also, Glubki brings up a good point. I don't follow the games of any other team but Detroit. I don't want to watch any other team but Detroit and their opponent. That's it. If the Wings aren't playing, I'm not watching. So even if the $149 required for Center Ice fell into my lap, it would be a complete waste. That's 29 other teams I don't give a rat's patoot about.

NOW, if the Red Wings offered some service where out-of-towners could pay a certain amount of money a season to watch only their games, streaming from the FSN Detroit feed, I would find a way to pay for that. But I'm not paying for s*** I have no interest in.

The word is "bougie" by the way, from the word "bourgeoisie".

In any event, no I cannot afford $149 a month. Here's my home situation. My mother is unemployed. She can't find work because even though she's qualified, she's 59 years old and no one will hire her. I work and so does my father, and our combined paychecks go toward making sure the mortgage is paid and the bills are paid and all the necessities are cared for. My financial situation got so bad I had to move back in with my parents, much to my embarrassment. So every dime I make that does not go toward helping pay our household bills, goes into a savings account so that I can move back out again.

So please tell me where the $149 is supposed to come from. Especially when every frickin' dime must be carefully monitored. "Oh hey Dad, I'm the only Wings fan in the house, can I waste $149 on something only one of us will use, on a TV that I don't have access to that often because other family members watch it too? Awesome."

Yeah, I can see us having that conversation.

Unfortunately, this hits close to home with me.

If you want, PM me and I'll hook you up.

For one, the NHL should try to get a decent television contract, then the very fans Bettman is trying to retain won't be surfing the internet nightly for illegal streams.

Second, why not offer a TEAM-specific package? I only have time to watch the Wings - I could care less about watching the Lighting, Coyotes, etc etc. Make it more reasonably priced but only air your fav team....

Thirdly, I think the days of being stuck with your market team only should come to a close. People move alot and want to watch their favorite teams. And I think consumers are tired of paying "fees" for everything on top of an already expensive satellite/cable bill. Man, I remember the good old days of aiming your satellite towards anything you wanted to watch - anywhere, anytime. :rolleyes:

Lastly, online streaming will never cease - just change sites, venues, quality. A few years ago I only had Sopcast, now there are 4-5 options. If one gets shut down, likely another will pop up. I coughed up for the second half center ice myself ($119), but between NHLnet having HNIC every week (3 games back to back last Saturday), my local team (Avs, cough cough), weekly Versus, and occasional NBC, things are starting to get a *little* bit better.....

Force you to pay for games you don't wanna see? LoL! Look man it's all or nothing just like most things in life.When you get married you would love to choose to cut out all of the problems and complaints that will come along with you wife when you marry her but that's not gonna happen.Either you pay for it or you don't.I think NHL center ice is a great thing,sometimes when the Wings are not on there is NO HOCKEY to watch on TV.I've had NHL center ice for 6 years now and I love it,I mean I don't care for some of the games either but I still watch anyway because when the Wings are not on MOST of the time there is NO hockey on TV.

Seriously? You're going to compare an online hockey stream service with marriage? I think you're blowing your analogies a little out of proportion here. We're talking about having to pay full price for a service that you're only making use of what, 1/30th of what's offered. To use a parallel that actually makes sense, you don't HAVE to buy a car that's fully loaded with every available accessory and feature - you can strip stuff down and ultimately customize it so that it reflects YOUR needs and YOUR price range.

It's stupid to say that it should be all or nothing in the first place. TV PPV allows you to have coverage of specific games and/or coverage for a specific team - f***, Toronto has an entire CHANNEL dedicated solely to the Leafs - why should it be so uncompromisingly uncalled for that they allow the same online? Simply put, if you're only really following one team Center Ice or any similar service is NOT worth the price tag, end of story.

Thankfully, stuff like ATDHE seems to have a very stubborn persistance. It's made things certainly more inconveniant now that streams aren't consolidated into one site with easy access, but ultimately it's impossible to prevent free streams from leaking through one way or another, and so long as that's the case I have no incentive to pry open my wallet.

Edited by Cern

Justin.tv is showing hockey games, you just have to know the links since you can't search for them. I know of a red wings one so if anyone wants it, I can PM it to you.

I'd like that link, please. I have Center Ice already, but if I can get something for next year to save some money, that would be sweet.

For one, the NHL should try to get a decent television contract, then the very fans Bettman is trying to retain won't be surfing the internet nightly for illegal streams.

Second, why not offer a TEAM-specific package? I only have time to watch the Wings - I could care less about watching the Lighting, Coyotes, etc etc. Make it more reasonably priced but only air your fav team....

Thirdly, I think the days of being stuck with your market team only should come to a close. People move alot and want to watch their favorite teams. And I think consumers are tired of paying "fees" for everything on top of an already expensive satellite/cable bill. Man, I remember the good old days of aiming your satellite towards anything you wanted to watch - anywhere, anytime. :rolleyes:

Lastly, online streaming will never cease - just change sites, venues, quality. A few years ago I only had Sopcast, now there are 4-5 options. If one gets shut down, likely another will pop up. I coughed up for the second half center ice myself ($119), but between NHLnet having HNIC every week (3 games back to back last Saturday), my local team (Avs, cough cough), weekly Versus, and occasional NBC, things are starting to get a *little* bit better.....

What I personally dislike about Center Ice is they only allow the hockey game. We can't get pre-game, post-game, or Detroit Red Wings Weekly. I would like to see behind the scenes view of the players and in depth conversation about my team.

What I personally dislike about Center Ice is they only allow the hockey game. We can't get pre-game, post-game, or Detroit Red Wings Weekly. I would like to see behind the scenes view of the players and in depth conversation about my team.

yes some post game stuff would be nice... not ending the broadcast the second the game is over

Guest Shoreline
Seriously? You're going to compare an online hockey stream service with marriage? I think you're blowing your analogies a little out of proportion here. We're talking about having to pay full price for a service that you're only making use of what, 1/30th of what's offered. To use a parallel that actually makes sense, you don't HAVE to buy a car that's fully loaded with every available accessory and feature - you can strip stuff down and ultimately customize it so that it reflects YOUR needs and YOUR price range.

It's stupid to say that it should be all or nothing in the first place. TV PPV allows you to have coverage of specific games and/or coverage for a specific team - f***, Toronto has an entire CHANNEL dedicated solely to the Leafs - why should it be so uncompromisingly uncalled for that they allow the same online? Simply put, if you're only really following one team Center Ice or any similar service is NOT worth the price tag, end of story.

Thankfully, stuff like ATDHE seems to have a very stubborn persistance. It's made things certainly more inconveniant now that streams aren't consolidated into one site with easy access, but ultimately it's impossible to prevent free streams from leaking through one way or another, and so long as that's the case I have no incentive to pry open my wallet.

While I've praised streams like ATDHE posts like this are also making me defend Center Ice.

The NHL has it so you don't get out of market games for free for a reason. People in Detroit (or in a certain area that FOX determines is the local market) who have DTV/Dish/Cable, for instance, generally get FSD for free. Just like I get Sharks games for free. In-market games. However, for out of market games that aren't regional/national (Versus/NBC/CBC), why SHOULD you get them for free? They pay to broadcast the game. Hence, it is them who controls distribution. By in essence taking a broadcast one does not have the rights to and rebroadcasting it, ATDHE is highly vulnerable to a lawsuit, and every single site or person that rebroadcasts it. And in motherpucker.ca's case, they even wanted to profit from taking a rebroadcast of a rebroadcast of a broadcast.

Even if you only watch Red Wings games, that's, say, 70 games a season most people get with the Wings, not counting those with Versus/NBC. $150 at 70 games is $2 per game. If you can afford a friggen internet connection to be making posts as to why watching an illegal rebroadcast is a-ok, then you certainly can afford $2 a game. There's clearly some fault for the NHL in not providing adequate services especially to people not in the US/Canada (in Europe they ARE offered some service but I don't even know the price or availability so can't comment), but for those of us IN these countries, I find it laughable as to how $2/game is outrageous. Compare that to the same price for NFL Sunday Ticket for 16 games. That's nearly $10 a game even if you only watch your team (if they are out of market). If you want free, move to the wide area that gets FSD for free being in their local market. For years I had to only watch Wings games on rabbit ears when they played the Sharks. Then when we got cable, on ESPN too. There's no law that says people have the right to watch every Wings game, less than that, for free. They could just cut all the broadcasts people are partaking in piracy to and they'd have no way at all of watching it. Logic dictates the way they keep money coming in is advertisements and people paying for out of market games. There's always free internet radio offered and even by the NHL where the costs to run it are significantly lower. Bitching about them taking down sites that pirate/rebroadcast illegally is just retarded. If one is going to get something for free, especially illegally, have the decency not to ***** and just enjoy the time you have it.

If you have satellite (Dish/DTV), you can buy a sports package for US market games and get all the FSD you like, and likely every other US team's behind the scenes as well. The behind the scenes stuff and pre/post game stuff isn't part of the license agreement between the NHL and the carriers of the broadcasts for out of market games.

Edited by Shoreline

Even if you only watch Red Wings games, that's, say, 70 games a season most people get with the Wings, not counting those with Versus/NBC. $150 at 70 games is $2 per game. If you can afford a friggen internet connection to be making posts as to why watching an illegal rebroadcast is a-ok, then you certainly can afford $2 a game. There's clearly some fault for the NHL in not providing adequate services especially to people not in the US/Canada (in Europe they ARE offered some service but I don't even know the price or availability so can't comment), but for those of us IN these countries, I find it laughable as to how $2/game is outrageous. Compare that to the same price for NFL Sunday Ticket for 16 games. That's nearly $10 a game even if you only watch your team (if they are out of market). If you want free, move to the wide area that gets FSD for free being in their local market. For years I had to only watch Wings games on rabbit ears when they played the Sharks. Then when we got cable, on ESPN too. There's no law that says people have the right to watch every Wings game, less than that, for free. They could just cut all the broadcasts people are partaking in piracy to and they'd have no way at all of watching it. Logic dictates the way they keep money coming in is advertisements and people paying for out of market games. There's always free internet radio offered and even by the NHL where the costs to run it are significantly lower. Bitching about them taking down sites that pirate/rebroadcast illegally is just retarded. If one is going to get something for free, especially illegally, have the decency not to ***** and just enjoy the time you have it.

100% agreement on this.. great post!

Yes true - who would care if fans want to watch the pre, post game etc? It's all in the advertising market rules etc. I'm hoping as broadcast technology changes, this may end.

I did pay for the "sports package" for about 6 months on Directv. This allowed me to watch everything on FSDetroit except the actual game itself. Occasionally they would screw up and the game wasn't blocked out, but rarely. However, for 9 or 10$ a month I couldn't justify continuing to pay for that, just for extra Wings coverage!

While I've praised streams like ATDHE posts like this are also making me defend Center Ice.

The NHL has it so you don't get out of market games for free for a reason. People in Detroit (or in a certain area that FOX determines is the local market) who have DTV/Dish/Cable, for instance, generally get FSD for free. Just like I get Sharks games for free. In-market games. However, for out of market games that aren't regional/national (Versus/NBC/CBC), why SHOULD you get them for free? They pay to broadcast the game. Hence, it is them who controls distribution. By in essence taking a broadcast one does not have the rights to and rebroadcasting it, ATDHE is highly vulnerable to a lawsuit, and every single site or person that rebroadcasts it. And in motherpucker.ca's case, they even wanted to profit from taking a rebroadcast of a rebroadcast of a broadcast.

If you have satellite (Dish/DTV), you can buy a sports package for US market games and get all the FSD you like, and likely every other US team's behind the scenes as well. The behind the scenes stuff and pre/post game stuff isn't part of the license agreement between the NHL and the carriers of the broadcasts for out of market games.

This. The wife and I watch every game. We broke it down last season, every game we wouldn't have watched if we didn't have Center Ice. It cost us .93 cents per person per game for Center Ice. Well worth the price. I understand the hard economic times and how people prioritize their spending, but complaining it's too expensive is just ridiculous.

Thanks for the lecture on life Dr. Phil.... You hit the nail on the head though - either you pay for it or you don't. The NHL can charge what it wants for it's services; I have no complaints about it.

If you want to watch all 30 teams play, the NHL has a package you can pay for just like every major sporting league.

It sucks, but it's the way it's done.

Not quite true. I have the NHL Center Ice and yet I still had to use atdhe to see games when Wings are playing Wild. Center Ice blacks out local games as well as games, which are on NHL Network, Versus or NBC. NBC is over-the-air, but the rest you have to pay for. I have to desire to subscribe to basic cable just to get Fox Sports and Versus.

Guest Shoreline
Not quite true. I have the NHL Center Ice and yet I still had to use atdhe to see games when Wings are playing Wild. Center Ice blacks out local games as well as games, which are on NHL Network, Versus or NBC. NBC is over-the-air, but the rest you have to pay for. I have to desire to subscribe to basic cable just to get Fox Sports and Versus.

GameCenter. Since you have a broadband connection you can use that. Of course, no guarantee of every game, but s*** happens. Ask your local analog->soon-to-be-digital carriers to pick up the Wild games. I remember when I was stuck with analog for the Sharks/Wings games sometimes they were blacked out. That's life.

Edited by Shoreline