• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
KrazyGangsta

Which Wings have disappointed you this year?

Rate this topic

I also didn't expect a lot of points from Cleary, so I don't know why people are calling him a disappointment. He really overachieved during the times when he was putting up tons of points.

I don't really care what his final point tally at the end of the year is, he made the team as a grinder and he's gotten so far away from that now. He rarely throws a big hit and is becoming more of a perimeter player.

Ozzie, but he's gonna bounce back. And the big one for me, Stuart. Always get excited when we get a canadian, and I knew Stuart for a while as a big physical defenceman, and he didnt have much of an impact before his injury, hopefully he's saving it for the playoffs.

And I'm probably the biggest Cleary fan out there, love the guy. But I understand where some people are coming from, Dano isnt playing the grinder role like he used too, hopefully he turns it on come the playoffs. The hit on Thornton was a good start ;)

Kopecky (I thought that last yr before he got hurt he looked like a pretty good player--now he just seems rather useless)

Draper (He isn't known for the offense, but usually he makes up for that with his great defense. This really isn't the case this year).

Flip (For as much money he is making, he needs to be more consistent in goal scoring--I mean when was the last time he scored a goal?)

Edited by umredwing11

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA
No one actually thinks Flipulla at 3.0 million is the 4th best forward.

You'd be suprised. A thread around 2 weeks ago claimed you were retarted if you didn't think it.

Great and all knowing posters like Mr. Sandman proved their hockey knoweldge by repeating things like "Your grammar sucks; I win"

Osgood and Flip. In my opinion Flip is simply no better, nor will be better down the road then a third line center (possibly a second line center depending on the team he's on.)

Flip is absolutely invisible when he is on the ice -- He is timid, when he does shoot he either misses the net or puts it right on the goaltenders chest. He is on the PK, but seeing as though our PK is far from elite I really don't think that says much about anything in favor of him.

The difference between Ozzie and Flip also is that while Ozzie is having a rough year, he has proven himself time and time again as a member of the Red Wings while Flip hasn't been around long enough to do so.

But if we are looking to free up a chunk of salary cap room, I think Flip and the 3 million a year he's getting paid would be the best option, but who knows.

Guest Crymson

Flip salary is intended to be a long-term investment. He is not necessarily expected to be a $3m hockey player this season, but the rationale behind his contract is that his potential is such that he may be worth quite a bit more than $3m in the last couple of years of his contract.

Id say

Flip, Kopecky, and Osgood

The first 2 being the golden haired children of Babcock and Holland, they both should be fighting for their current positions, not a playoff lock (mark my words on this youll see Kopy in the line up game one of the playoffs and either helm or leino sitting)

Cleary, Kronwall, Ozzie, Draper, Maltby, Zetterberg.

It doesn't feel quite right to throw Z's name into the mix since he's been far better than the others I mentioned, but I had such high expectations on him, I thought he could possibly make a legitimate push for a 50 goal season, and he hasn't quite gotten going until the last couple of weeks.

Kronner is starting to look better, as is Draper, Maltby and maybe Ozzie (still a little too early to say), while I feel like Cleary is looking more and more out of place with Z and D.

I'd put Kopecky's name there as well, but truth is I didn't expect much from him so he hasn't really disappointed.

I'm with you all the way on Zetterberg. My expectations of him were crushed this year.

The pairing of Kronwall and Stuart has been a trainwreck all season long. After what they did last spring... They've fallen further than Osgood to put it in terms that most would understand.

HA!

And I agree completely. Kronwall especially has been mind-blowingly bad at times. Hell, if Kronwall hadn't choked up so many pucks that lead to odd man rushes or fast, stupid plays right in front of the net, your Osgood comparison might not work anymore. But then again, you wouldn't need to say it anyways because he wouldn't be choking up the puck so much. Wait a minute? Isn't this kinda sounding circular? Like, a correlation maybe??? Hmmm, I may be on to something......

Flip salary is intended to be a long-term investment. He is not necessarily expected to be a $3m hockey player this season, but the rationale behind his contract is that his potential is such that he may be worth quite a bit more than $3m in the last couple of years of his contract.

Well you're somewhat right about him having a long term contract (4 years left if you count this year), the way his contract has him being paid shows that they definitely did and do expect him to be a $3 million dollar a year player this year, next year, and the years after that.

Take a Look for Yourself

That said, my original statement still stands -- this guy is wicked overpaid and if you are holding your breath for him to breakout into the superstar so many people think he is or has the ability to become -- well, I guess you will just have to prepare yourself for severe disappointment.

Filppula more than anyone.....To Whom Much Is Given, Much Is Expected!

Osgood was only a part-timer last year and he is on the downside of his career.... so really..... how much could you expect?

Yeah, I agree with this, with Kronwall, and Rafalski tied for third.

how could you say Rafalski when he is second in the league in scoring (above Lidstrom). Just pure stupidity.

Edited by elriqo28

how could you say Rafalski when he is second in the league in scoring (above Lidstrom). Just pure stupidity.

Sense this is a fan website, and the thread is WHich wings have disappointed you? He answered properly. Rafalski has disappointed him thus far. Rafalski has had some atrocious give-aways this year. YEah he may be 2nd in points behind Lids but turnovers can abso-freakin-lutley kill a team

Osgood, Kronwall, Draper, Flip, Kopecky.

And for everyone saying Cleary - I simply don't agree. I don't care if he brings grit or not, he's one of the hardest working Red Wings out there. When he's on the ice, he may not always produce - but he certainly gives it everything he's got. I absolutely love Cleary - a hard-working hockey player.

And for everyone saying Cleary - I simply don't agree. I don't care if he brings grit or not, he's one of the hardest working Red Wings out there. When he's on the ice, he may not always produce - but he certainly gives it everything he's got. I absolutely love Cleary - a hard-working hockey player.

I do care if Cleary brings grit. His hardwork and grit is what got him on the team in the first place. For a 2.800 cap hit I want more than a 40 point perimeter player, I want a guy who is going to finish every hit and occassionally WOW me with hits like his on Phaneuf and him standing up to Pronger last year.

I do care if Cleary brings grit. His hardwork and grit is what got him on the team in the first place. For a 2.800 cap hit I want more than a 40 point perimeter player, I want a guy who is going to finish every hit and occassionally WOW me with hits like his on Phaneuf and him standing up to Pronger last year.

Fair enough. I'm happy enough just seeing him play his heart out every time he's out there.

I'll throw in the disclaimer that stats rarely tell the whole story, and that hits especially are notorious for being poorly-recorded; but that being said, Dano isn't hitting any less than he has in previous years as a Wing in the stat column or from what I've observed either. He absolutely has done his best work in the playoffs but it's not every day you're going to freight train Phaneuf like he did. I think he's done a good job filling in for Homer and going to the net and screening the goalie for Hank and Pavel this season. He isn't as good, but there ain't a man alive that is.

Can I say the Wings defensive play? Last year they were shutting down teams every night by limiting shots on goal to half of what the Wings were getting. I think that every player on the team is guilty of crappy defensive play at times this season.

But if I had to pick I would say with regret, Ozzie.

Sense this is a fan website, and the thread is WHich wings have disappointed you? He answered properly. Rafalski has disappointed him thus far. Rafalski has had some atrocious give-aways this year. YEah he may be 2nd in points behind Lids but turnovers can abso-freakin-lutley kill a team

+14 which is 22nd in the league for defensemen out of 281. And he is on the team that is 28th in GAA. It appears that you are ignoring all of the time that he doesn't turn the puck over and focusing on only the negative....

Can I say the Wings defensive play? Last year they were shutting down teams every night by limiting shots on goal to half of what the Wings were getting. I think that every player on the team is guilty of crappy defensive play at times this season.

But if I had to pick I would say with regret, Ozzie.

Not quite.

Last year

SG/G 34.4

SA/G 23.5

Diff 10.9

This year

SG/G 36.0

SA/G 27.8

Dif 8.2