• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
ShanahanMan

Don Cherry's Comments

Rate this topic

Did anyone else just catch that "Coach's Corner" where Cherry was absolutely brutal on Ovechkin? I usually like Cherry but, wow, the things he said were completely uncalled for. He basically DEFENDED Crosby's comments that he doesn't like the way Ovechkin acts or celebrates. Cherry compared Ovechkin to "goofy" soccer players saying theres no room in hockey for Ovechkin's style and "good Canadians" shouldn't follow in his antics. He then said (in a VERY excited manner) that some good defenseman is gonna just rip him in half soon. He seemed to be looking forward to it. Oh and also, he compared Ovechkin to Avery saying its basically the same stuff. His exact words were, "different churches, same spew".

Dude, wtf Cherry? Ovechkin and his "antics" are EXACTLY what the NHL needs and I think Cherry's comments this afternoon were absolutely disgraceful.

Edited by ShanahanMan

Guest Shoreline

I love and respect Grapes, you just have to realize he is old and says dumb things sometimes. Just like advice, always take what he says with a grain of salt.

figured someone would post this.

i'm a little conflicted. i think it's great that someone loves to score goals, but he does have a point about humility. if you truly embarrass someone to put your team up 6-0, then keep yourself under control.

however, stevie went nuts when he scored in double OT so it's not as if the players he mentioned Never got excited.

Edited by finalfilppula

Guest Shoreline
It`s nice that Ovechkin loves the game but he when pulls that stuff when the Caps are already up 3 or 4 nothing, It gets tiresome. I dont really disagree with what Don said, and in the playoffs someone will get him.

And may that person get the living f*** beat out of them.

however, i still love the guy and think that he's right about a LOT of things. more than most would want to admit.

I gotta agree. I watch him and usually reluctantly find myself nodding my head in agreement. However, this was just inexcusable. Absolutely disgusting.

I don't get what the problem is? Ovechkin does celebrate a little too much at times... "act like you've scored a goal before", ever heard that saying? Big goals are one thing, every goal is another... Don Cherry is telling it like it is.

Yeah, sometimes Cherry somes some pretty stupid things, but he brings something to TV which is rare today, genuine spontanity. Even with the cluster*uck of reality TV, (they are more than scripted) Cherry is entertaining, cuz he is structured, he isnt refined. He is just genuine. He might be a genuine ass hole, but its real.

Guest Shoreline
Yeah, sometimes Cherry somes some pretty stupid things, but he brings something to TV which is rare today, genuine spontanity. Even with the cluster*uck of reality TV, (they are more than scripted) Cherry is entertaining, cuz he is structured, he isnt refined. He is just genuine. He might be a genuine ass hole, but its real.

Indeed. I don't have to agree with everything Cherry said (the support the troops nonsense and this), but I greatly respect the man for being honest and unafraid to say how he feels. As Katt William says -- the real motherf***ers.

It`s nice that Ovechkin loves the game but he when pulls that stuff when the Caps are already up 3 or 4 nothing, It gets tiresome. I dont really disagree with what Don said, and in the playoffs someone will get him.

I don't think Ovechkin should care about Cherry or anybody else as long as he plays within the rules and scores goals. I bet Washington fans got no problems with his "antics" (actually I don't find his goal celebrations to be that outrages, he jumps against the glass, how is that a problem?).

Ovechkin himself said more than once that he welcomes physical play and got nothing against opposition hitting him if they manage to do so.

I would say that Cherry is for "good old hockey" as long as it played by "Canadian boys".

Did anyone else just catch that "Coach's Corner" where Cherry was absolutely brutal on Ovechkin? I usually like Cherry but, wow, the things he said were completely uncalled for. He basically DEFENDED Crosby's comments that he doesn't like the way Ovechkin acts or celebrates. Cherry compared Ovechkin to "goofy" soccer players saying theres no room in hockey for Ovechkin's style and "good Canadians" shouldn't follow in his antics. He then said (in a VERY excited manner) that some good defenseman is gonna just rip him in half soon. He seemed to be looking forward to it. Oh and also, he compared Ovechkin to Avery saying its basically the same stuff. His exact words were, "different churches, same spew".

Dude, wtf Cherry? Ovechkin and his "antics" are EXACTLY what the NHL needs and I think Cherry's comments this afternoon were absolutely disgraceful.

Yah i caught coaches corner as well, cherry proves time and time again he is a douchebag to anyone thats not Canadian.

I hope he dies soon honestly that is the only way he will be off the air. I'm honestly embarrassed to be Canadian every time that moron speaks.

The funny part is, he has to be watching Ovechkin to know all about it. It would be different if he said he doesn't know because he doesn't watch. Fact of the matter is who cares, I love the fact Cindy is still a whiner.

I don't watch CBC that much. You know why? Because Don Cherry is a ******* douchebag who thinks that anyone who's not Canadian should be kicked out of the NHL. Ovechkin is the best goal scorer in the league, and he celebrates when he scores. Should he just put the puck in the net the skate away with his head down?

Because Don Cherry is a ******* douchebag who thinks that anyone who's not Canadian should be kicked out of the NHL.

that isn't true. he was quoted in THN saying that he likes guys like bure, datsyuk, and lidstrom. he Does have an enormous bias, but he doesn't want it to be an all-canadian league.

Yah i caught coaches corner as well, cherry proves time and time again he is a douchebag to anyone thats not Canadian.

I hope he dies soon honestly that is the only way he will be off the air. I'm honestly embarrassed to be Canadian every time that moron speaks.

You're hoping he dies because you think he's a douchebag to anyone not Canadian? I don't know what to say.

Cherry is the mindfly of TV personalities.

Cherry knows the rules of hockey at least. Ask Mindfly about the offsides rule and he's done.