243 replies to this topic

#221 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,612 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 08:18 AM

The high road taken.

We'll see what happens next; sometimes even the young have a problem with "selective hearing".

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#222 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,626 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 02:32 PM

real quick. I now classify Ovechkin as an Ass Hat! After watching that display of antics after his 50th goal,I pretty much threw up in my mouth! What, does he think he is the only player to ever score 50? I could see a celebration if he scored his 94th, but 50, c'mon ass hat, its no wonder none of our team mates celebrated with you! I got a feeling Fedorov was just shaking his head watching that! Hey ass hat, please come down off your high horse, you are a disgrace to the NHL.

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#223 I Red Wings I

I Red Wings I

Holy mackerel!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 02:40 PM

I don't mind his antics, if players hate it, keep him from scoring. All the attention he gets from Cherry will only egg him on, I don't believe anyone is going to "get him"

#224 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,626 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 02:42 PM

QUOTE (I Red Wings I @ March 22, 2009 - 02:40PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't mind his antics, if players hate it, keep him from scoring. All the attention he gets from Cherry will only egg him on, I don't believe anyone is going to "get him"

his antics have grown old. Ad his display after #50 was disgusting. No, noone will get him. Save that kind of celebration for a goal that actually means something. Hey, maybe show up for the playoffs once in a while? That might help!

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#225 akustyk

akustyk

how painful is painful?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,170 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 04:49 PM

what exactly do you find disgusting in what Ovechkin did?

did he insult you?
did he disrespect the goalie or the players on the other team?
or did he just show his emotions in a funny way...?

jesus... get some life... Ovie's just enthusiastic and plays with passion.
passion, right?

#226 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 05:09 PM

The only person who should be bothered with Don Cherry's opinion is Don Cherry.

He can rant and rave about Ovie's celebratory tactics all he wants, he's under absolutely no obligation whatsoever to give a damn.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#227 Electrophile

Electrophile

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 05:13 PM

QUOTE (LeftWinger @ March 22, 2009 - 03:32PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
real quick. I now classify Ovechkin as an Ass Hat! After watching that display of antics after his 50th goal,I pretty much threw up in my mouth! What, does he think he is the only player to ever score 50? I could see a celebration if he scored his 94th, but 50, c'mon ass hat, its no wonder none of our team mates celebrated with you! I got a feeling Fedorov was just shaking his head watching that! Hey ass hat, please come down off your high horse, you are a disgrace to the NHL.

Why don't you try and work the word "asshat" into this post another couple times, maybe then it'll start to make sense.

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#228 Never_Retire_Steve

Never_Retire_Steve

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,156 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 05:52 PM

I loved the comments Cherry made last night and thought they were spot on.

#229 MaynardJKeenan

MaynardJKeenan

I'll..keep...digging...till I.. feel..something

• Gold Booster
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 06:32 PM

QUOTE (akustyk @ March 22, 2009 - 04:49PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
what exactly do you find disgusting in what Ovechkin did?

did he insult you?
did he disrespect the goalie or the players on the other team?
or did he just show his emotions in a funny way...?

jesus... get some life... Ovie's just enthusiastic and plays with passion.
passion, right?

thumbup.gif X2 We need more of this in the game, imo.

#230 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 06:50 PM

QUOTE (Electrophile @ March 22, 2009 - 06:13PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why don't you try and work the word "asshat" into this post another couple times, maybe then it'll start to make sense.

At least quote his use of the word asshat accurately... he had a space between "ass" and "hat".

Edited by Broken 16, 22 March 2009 - 06:52 PM.

#231 #1redwingfan

#1redwingfan

"Zetter is Better"

• Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 09:58 PM

QUOTE (LeftWinger @ March 22, 2009 - 02:42PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
his antics have grown old. Ad his display after #50 was disgusting. No, noone will get him. Save that kind of celebration for a goal that actually means something. Hey, maybe show up for the playoffs once in a while? That might help!

Are you new to hockey or something? "maybe show up for the playoffs once in a while?" Are you actually retarded or just entirely ignorant? Ovechkin is the best goal scorer in the NHL and took his team to the playoffs for the first time in a while last year. Not only that, but he scored some big goals in that series. He didn't score for a couple games that series (games 3-5 or something like that) but that is because Phili was shutting him down. I don't expect to get a decent response to this because you are so god damn ignorant, but if you see it maybe drop me a line.

PS. I haven't been on in a while but thank god you dropped that three dot bulls***, every post you put up on this site had about 5 "..." in it, if you are so speechless and hesitant, don't post anything ****** bag!

#232 rage

rage

Nicklas ~The World's Best~ Lidstrom

• Silver Booster
  • 3,879 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 10:11 PM

I always liked HNIC, but Cherry is getting tired.

Posted Image

#233 sureWhyNot

sureWhyNot

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 10:28 PM

QUOTE (I Red Wings I @ March 22, 2009 - 03:40PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wow, do you quote hockey analysts without citing them as a resource all the time, or just once in a while?

QUOTE (MaynardJKeenan @ March 22, 2009 - 07:32PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
thumbup.gif X2 We need more of this in the game, imo.

Go watch football if you like that garbage.

"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings."

- Steve Yzerman

#234 I Red Wings I

I Red Wings I

Holy mackerel!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,024 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 10:33 PM

QUOTE (sureWhyNot @ March 22, 2009 - 11:28PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow, do you quote hockey analysts without citing them as a resource all the time, or just once in a while?

What's your point?

#235 sergei_is_still_a_wing

sergei_is_still_a_wing

Alyssa = Wings Fan.

• PipPipPipPip
  • 877 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 11:23 PM

alex is a funny guy and a jokester. he is good for the game no matter what he does (within reason of course).

This happens after EVERY SINGLE Touchdown in Football and no one says s***. And you can say well hockey players are classy and football players are criminals and ******* show offs, ect ect. and this is true to some extent. BUT, would you rather have some showmanship, or have the NHL fall to the 10th most popular sport in america with empty arenas all over the country.

The players in the NHL will always have more class than anyother sport IMO. If a guy wants to pull a sharpie out of his skate and sign a stick and give it to a fan in the first row, i will laugh and applaud it. Its not disrespectful, its celebratory.

I would define disrespect as the guy pointing to the other team making a "golf swing" with his stick and taunting the entire bench for missing the playoffs. No need for that in the game, but a little excitement is ok.

IMO this is why tiger woods is the most recognizable athelete in America (arguably). He took a quiet gentlemans game and turned it up a notch without crossing the line. he shows his emotions. atheletes are humans too. let them have fun.

#236 YoungGuns1340

YoungGuns1340

Johan and Henrik

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,501 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 11:44 PM

If you hear Ovechkin in the interview, it explains a lot. First of all, "the celebration" sounds more like an inside joke with his teammates than it does anything else. Looks more like teammate bonding after that. And then he acknowledges that Cherrys gonna talk about it, how hes gonna be pissed, how it likes it when Cherry brings him up, and then he says "old coach, old system."

Really, all that put together makes me like Ovechkin more. He acknowledges that its good to stir up s***, he knows its good to get people talking, and he knows hes making a name for himself in the process by doing things that are vilified in the old system.

The league should make him the head of publicity and be done with it.
It is not your aptitude, but your attitude, that determines your altitude.

#237 YoungGuns1340

YoungGuns1340

Johan and Henrik

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,501 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 11:47 PM

Oh yeah, and that interview exemplifies the difference between Ovechkin and Crosby. Ovechkins standing there with shaving cream all over his face saying he doesn't care what Cherry or anyone else thinks. Crosby on the other hand is tight-laced, dry as a bone, is concerned about what everyone thinks of him.
It is not your aptitude, but your attitude, that determines your altitude.

#238 Electrophile

Electrophile

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 11:50 PM

Ah, the Derek Jeter and Alex Rodriguez of hockey.

#239 Doggy

Doggy

Meanwhile...

• HoF Booster
  • 4,343 posts

Posted 22 March 2009 - 11:51 PM

I like Ovechkin. He's a funny guys and not an asshat for what he does. I just think he can unintentionally be a little disrespectful to other players and teams.
Rough as guts.

#240 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 03:34 AM

Just listen to him read off the stories of those heroes that died in Afghanistan. You can hear it in his voice... it just kills him to think about what those families are going through.

Say what you want about Cherry's opinions, but he's a good man at heart.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft