• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
gcom007

Optimism After the Ugliest Game of the Year

Rate this topic

While this game was just awul tonight in every way possible, I remember back in 1995-96 towards the end of the year, the Red Wings pounded Patrick Roy and the Avalanche 7-0 (at home I believe). Like them or not, the Avalanche had a solid team with a lot of great guys and a great goalie. But they weren't being favored heading into the playoffs and a game like that didn't help. It was just humiliating.

But, it set the stage for the team to band up and really get into the whole "when the going gets tough" thing and what happened? Much to our chagrin, they beat us in the semi's and ended up winning the Stanley Cup that year.

Now, I'm not trying to compare us to the Av's especially THAT year too much, but I'm just saying, the regular season doesn't mean much and we still have a great team. This game highlighted some defensive problems more than ever. They might get a little relief on Tuesday at the deadline, but nothing major. Just a little help.

But after that, no more talk of who we're trading for. (Correction:) One game before the deadline. No more "trade for a goalie/defensemen!" It's only go time for this team.

20 games left.

It's time to refine the game and get focused. I think Osgood's on his way to getting things going and I'm hoping tonight's the wake-up call the D has needed. I'm thinking we might look back on this game as a turning point in a couple of months. I certainly still have hope.

Edited by gcom007

Guest Four

I hope the wings turn around now but I think it will take a few more good embarrassments to really put them in gear.

Guest Shoreline

It was by no stretch of the imagination a good game. Wings were tired and s***ty from the very first second of the game. They need to make no excuses and play a better game. Nashville fans will orgasm over it and let them, they aren't going to experience a cup any time soon. Wings need to learn from this experience. Fans need to not panic. I kinda think though if these D injuries persist, Wings will need a big physical d-man to fill a gap. Beyond this, it's a game to ignore and laugh at.

While this game was just awul tonight in every way possible, I remember back in 1995-96 towards the end of the year, the Red Wings pounded Patrick Roy and the Avalanche 7-0 (at home I believe). Like them or not, the Avalanche had a solid team with a lot of great guys and a great goalie. But they weren't being favored heading into the playoffs and a game like that didn't help. It was just humiliating.

But, it set the stage for the team to band up and really get into the whole "when the going gets tough" thing and what happened? Much to our chagrin, they beat us in the semi's and ended up winning the Stanley Cup that year.

Now, I'm not trying to compare us to the Av's especially THAT year too much, but I'm just saying, the regular season doesn't mean much and we still have a great team. This game highlighted some defensive problems more than ever. They might get a little relief on Tuesday at the deadline, but nothing major. Just a little help.

But after that, no more talk of who we're trading for. (Correction:) One game before the deadline. No more "trade for a goalie/defensemen!" It's only go time for this team.

20 games left.

It's time to refine the game and get focused. I think Osgood's on his way to getting things going and I'm hoping tonight's the wake-up call the D has needed. I'm thinking we might look back on this game as a turning point in a couple of months. I certainly still have hope.

this was the throw away game of the year boys left detroit late last nite after the kings game rolled into nashville in the wee hours maybe had a crappy sleep wandered around a bit ate some bads ribs or something and just were not in the mood to play collectively tonight

As menacing as Babcock looked at times it was so atrocious I suspect they'll laugh it offin a day or so

will it however affect the goalie rotation??/Hmmm

Guest Shoreline
this was the throw away game of the year boys left detroit late last nite after the kings game rolled into nashville in the wee hours maybe had a crappy sleep wandered around a bit ate some bads ribs or something and just were not in the mood to play collectively tonight

As menacing as Babcock looked at times it was so atrocious I suspect they'll laugh it offin a day or so

will it however affect the goalie rotation??/Hmmm

It won't. It's still Osgood's job to lose. Conklin and Osgood both had an off night. s*** happens. If anything, despite a few bad goals the defense didn't give either of them a chance. The D needs the most improvement, especially from Meech. Not exactly proud of his performance today.

Edited by Shoreline

For someone new to be the Champs they are going to have to beat the Champs...when the playoffs come this team will not lack the focus it needs to win. End of story!!

honestly, i was hoping for a game like this... though, not in such an evil manner.

either way, this oughta wake us up.

i think the boys figured they won the game that mattered, and just threw caution to the wind with the preds.

The goaltending situation is definitely scary right now.

Conklin looked like he might be the guy earlier, but tonight it looked like he couldn't stop a pillow from getting into the net.

Ozzie has looked like s*** all season, so we can't count on him.

Optimism isn't the same thing as dumb blind faith. To say that everything is fine would be ignoring all the problems that this team has had defensively and in net this season. Sure we've outscored teams and have a great record, but in the playoffs it'll be hard to score 4 and 5 goals every game. Something needs to be done, because it's not going to fix itself.

That game was an abomination from beginning to end. There's nothing positive to take from that game, except for the fact that it's over. Moving forward, I think it will re-raise concerns over our goaltending situation...they both sucked tonight, equally. On top of that, there wasn't really anyone (aside from maybe Lidstrom), who looked even a bit interested. We know the Wings are brutal on the second night of back-to-back games, so that's fine, but this is Nashville they played tonight...and losing 8-0 to Nashville is embarrassing and unacceptable. In the end, the Wings are still a good team...I'm confident they are professional enough to put this behind them and move on.

"Sometimes getting a good humble pill at this time of year isn't a bad thing."

"The bottom line is is this something we're gonna remember? I think we've got Nashville twice more if I'm not mistaken. I think we'll remember."

-Mike Babcock

That game was an abomination from beginning to end. There's nothing positive to take from that game, except for the fact that it's over. Moving forward, I think it will re-raise concerns over our goaltending situation...they both sucked tonight, equally. On top of that, there wasn't really anyone (aside from maybe Lidstrom), who looked even a bit interested. We know the Wings are brutal on the second night of back-to-back games, so that's fine, but this is Nashville they played tonight...and losing 8-0 to Nashville is embarrassing and unacceptable. In the end, the Wings are still a good team...I'm confident they are professional enough to put this behind them and move on.

What on earth do you expect the goalies to do when, as you say, only one guy looked even a bit interested? It seems to me that we ought to be concerned more with all those guys who weren't concerned over the guys at the end of the line...

Game 6 and game 7 is back to back

Sort of, maybe just a tiny tiny bit, different from a back to back in the regular season against the Kings and the Preds. It's whatever you can find a game this season for every team where they got their ass kicked. It happens, I'm over it.

Guest Shoreline

Conklin looked like he might be the guy earlier, but tonight it looked like he couldn't stop a pillow from getting into the net.

Optimism isn't the same thing as dumb blind faith. To say that everything is fine would be ignoring all the problems that this team has had defensively and in net this season. Sure we've outscored teams and have a great record, but in the playoffs it'll be hard to score 4 and 5 goals every game. Something needs to be done, because it's not going to fix itself.

There's nothing to learn from games like this. The team did everything wrong. Nonetheless, they are still in 2nd and still fighting for first, with the Sharks losing. Call it blind faith or whatever else but this team is still the team to beat. The goaltending can improve and certainly so can the defense and PK. But to be scared of the Wings being in the position they are now is a bit ridiculous.

Edited by Shoreline

"Sometimes getting a good humble pill at this time of year isn't a bad thing."

"The bottom line is is this something we're gonna remember? I think we've got Nashville twice more if I'm not mistaken. I think we'll remember."

-Mike Babcock

Good quotes.

Once the playoffs start, everybody look back and see if this whoopin is a positive or a negative. A little adversity never hurt anyone.

is this the worst loss in history or there's even worst?

yeah, I also would like to know this....it must at least rank up there in the worst losses in modern wings history.

anyway, I expect a defensive addition at the deadline at the very least, and perhaps even a goalie as well. this is a bigger deal than many on here seem to realize...I doubt management is as optimistic as you guys tonight.

Yeah, basing the goaltenders' play by a 8-0 drubbing. Good ******* call.