• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
derrekchilson

Did no one else watch the game last night?

Rate this topic

Guest Shoreline
Where does everybody get the idea that Detroit was an original six team? The NHL was formed in 1917 and Detroit didn't come into existance until 1926 when they bought the Victoria Cougars (?). Then it was still 10 years before Detroit won a Stanley Cup.

As for the move to Hamilton Ontario - Jim Ballsillie shot himself in the foot with that one. He set up a website for the "Hamilton" Predators and starting taking downpayments for season tickets before he had ever presented an offer to the NHL. And the goofy people up there actually gave him money!! And as someone said before, most of the season tickets belong to individuals, not corporations.

Consider the years 4 of the other 6 "original six" teams came to be (1924-26), including the Wings, and you have a very obvious answer as to why the Wings are in the original six. It would have been rather dumb to go with the "original one" or "original two". No other team even came along that exists today until the 60s. So yeah, nearly 40 years of original six means it's a pretty deserved name.

Edited by Shoreline

Where does everybody get the idea that Detroit was an original six team? The NHL was formed in 1917 and Detroit didn't come into existance until 1926 when they bought the Victoria Cougars (?). Then it was still 10 years before Detroit won a Stanley Cup.

As for the move to Hamilton Ontario - Jim Ballsillie shot himself in the foot with that one. He set up a website for the "Hamilton" Predators and starting taking downpayments for season tickets before he had ever presented an offer to the NHL. And the goofy people up there actually gave him money!! And as someone said before, most of the season tickets belong to individuals, not corporations.

All the "Original 6" teams didn't come into play during the same year. Nothing to get too worked up or technical about.

I agree, it never ceases to amaze me how often you hear I can't believe hockey can't get more exposure or be on national tv/ESPN more often - and then say that any teams not in the northern (and more specifically north eastern) part of the U.S.A don't deserve to have teams, don't have real hockey fans, and are ignorant/don't understand the game.

Also, I have heard much worse things chanted at Flyers and Rangers games but no one creates a thread about how they don't deserve to have a hockey team. Furthermore, this forum is full of people who complain about how dead the Joe is and then complain because they Preds are rowdy at their games. Who cares? Seriously, the Preds had a good game, the Wings actually did suck pretty bad that game, the Preds fans had fun at that game and enjoyed a memory making game for their team - but the Wings will be in the hunt for the Cup again this year. BUT it is ridiculous to say that the Preds were any less classy or more crass than most fans - they are a bunch of people who love their team, city, state and have on blinders for them - much like most people here (myself included).

:clap:

What's also hypocritical about it is that you probably have people in here who on some level are proud to be Detroit or Michigan natives and get up in arms with the false perception that crime is everywhere there or gangbangers or whatever. Yet it's all right to stereotype everybody down as hicks and rednecks? Kinda convenient I guess when you (not you specifically Frozen-Man) aren't the one getting dumped on. :rolleyes:

Pretty much agree 100%.

Folks were very nice, & I met quite a few folks whom were pretty hockey savy (to my surprise I might add)...Loud building, great atmosphere; too bad the Wings stunk - oh well.

I thought I read you were going to this game but didn't? I must've misread. If that's the case we should've made plans to chit chat briefly.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

In truth I was yelling it at the TV...I bleed Red and White, but last night was pathetic, and should be used to show the wings that they are beatable and they need to play good hockey no matter what team they play.

You should get that checked out, you need those to fight off diseases. :ph34r:

no chanting at hockey games anymore : CHECK

wanting the joe to be louder: :huh:

does not compute...

p.s. please don't attend college hockey games (nmu/mtu as example) or OHL games... becuase your mind would be blown. and we wouldn't want that... or would we???

Consider the years 4 of the other 6 "original six" teams came to be (1924-26), including the Wings, and you have a very obvious answer as to why the Wings are in the original six. It would have been rather dumb to go with the "original one" or "original two". No other team even came along that exists today until the 60s. So yeah, nearly 40 years of original six means it's a pretty deserved name.

Kind of funny this came up...just the other day, my gf was going off on how it's dumb that it's called the Original Six when the US members weren't around when the league was founded, and therefore not "original."

Anyway, I think Nashville has great fans. Whenever we go in there, I know we're in for a world of hostility, and that's the way it should be. They're 28th in the league in attendance, so hopefully a few more start showing up for the non-Wings games, but they certainly have my respect.

I think it was on this thread that someone mentioned wanting the pregame video about the rivalry. This is one that someone got on their video camera - it's not the best but it is the video. If you want the real thing, check out the Preds TV link on our boards. The Preds front office said they are trying to get the rights to post it there. So check there in 3-5 days for the real thing. Hopefully this will hold you over.