• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

mikiemike24

Red Wings fans

Rate this topic

I have been a firm believer that if you can't make it back to your seat by the time the play starts, then you should lose all standing privileges for the rest of the game. I completely agree with the original poster. It's not that it makes you less of a fan, but it's RUDE to people. I've missed many great goals because people were standing. And I did not pay to watch them stand. Same with people who can't keep their mouths shut about their sex life, what happened in last week's episode of their favorite show, how many calories are in their Little Caesar's Pizza, etc. It's so rude. The time for standing is after a goal, during or after a fight, the moments approaching the end of a great game, or during time outs when the screen tells you to stand or clap or whatever. The time for standing and talking is not during the play.

Every game I have been to the past five years I've seen the most ridiculous fans at Red Wings games. I have never seen this topic brought up but I am fairly new to these forums so I dont know if its been talked about.

1. Why are there so many people strolling into the rink late? Don't get me wrong, I know things come up and there is traffic but it seems like it happens all of the time.

2. Why are people up and down non-stop during the period? This isn't a friday night high school football game, I actually go to see my team play which is kind of hard when people are standing in front of me all of the time. I missed two playoff goals last year because someone was going down to get something to eat.

3. If you need to go up or down, how about a tv time out or even a stop in the play. While you're doing that, maybe you could hustle a little bit.

4. Why are there so many people who have no clue where there seats are? Its really not that hard, and if it is, please ask an usher and they will show you exactly where to go. It seems like I miss at least five minutes of the first period with these people standing in front of me, looking all over for there seats.

5. Why is staying until the end of the game so hard? I understand that everyone wants to beat the rush but if there is only a 1 or 2 goal difference in the game, everyone should stay. Again things come up and people have to get to work or school in the morning, but again please at least try to leave during a tv timeout or at least a stopage.

Anyway, this has been bothering me for the past few years and so I just wanted to see what other fans thought. The last straw was listening to the swedes talk about how they are looking to play in front of their fans back home next year. You will hear subtle jabs about the fans in Detroit. I think Franzen says something like, "The fans back home don't get up in the middle of the game to get a burger." Its pretty embarassing when your own team notices how many people don't pay attention to the game. You can hear the wings talk about the fans on Red Wings tv- Wings to Sweden.

Yes, I am a season ticket holder and I actually go to see the Red Wings play. Let me know your thoughts.

If you go to any arena and watch a game this will happen. All of it. I'm not really sure why you are trying to equate poor hockey etiquette with only Red Wings fans but it happens everywhere.

To answer your 2 questions.

1. You are allowed to go down during the warm up pre-game skate to take pictures, watch etc.

2. Basically the same place, although I am speaking of the Chelis in Clinton Twnshp. Same type of menu and atmosphere, both have pretty good food.

Thanks, I almost forgot about bringing my camera

Every game I have been to the past five years I've seen the most ridiculous fans at Red Wings games. I have never seen this topic brought up but I am fairly new to these forums so I dont know if its been talked about.

1. Why are there so many people strolling into the rink late? Don't get me wrong, I know things come up and there is traffic but it seems like it happens all of the time.

2. Why are people up and down non-stop during the period? This isn't a friday night high school football game, I actually go to see my team play which is kind of hard when people are standing in front of me all of the time. I missed two playoff goals last year because someone was going down to get something to eat.

3. If you need to go up or down, how about a tv time out or even a stop in the play. While you're doing that, maybe you could hustle a little bit.

4. Why are there so many people who have no clue where there seats are? Its really not that hard, and if it is, please ask an usher and they will show you exactly where to go. It seems like I miss at least five minutes of the first period with these people standing in front of me, looking all over for there seats.

5. Why is staying until the end of the game so hard? I understand that everyone wants to beat the rush but if there is only a 1 or 2 goal difference in the game, everyone should stay. Again things come up and people have to get to work or school in the morning, but again please at least try to leave during a tv timeout or at least a stopage.

Anyway, this has been bothering me for the past few years and so I just wanted to see what other fans thought. The last straw was listening to the swedes talk about how they are looking to play in front of their fans back home next year. You will hear subtle jabs about the fans in Detroit. I think Franzen says something like, "The fans back home don't get up in the middle of the game to get a burger." Its pretty embarassing when your own team notices how many people don't pay attention to the game. You can hear the wings talk about the fans on Red Wings tv- Wings to Sweden.

Yes, I am a season ticket holder and I actually go to see the Red Wings play. Let me know your thoughts.

dude this is all i'm going to say. dont come here and start telling people that they are not fans because they have to get up once in a while. i'm a HUGE fans of the red wings and i would be mad too if that happened to me but it didnt but to come here and start saying that their not fans is just stupid.

This thread is idiotic. Have you ever been to a Leafs game?! It's more of a fashion show than anything else. Yes, they have good fans, just like Detroit, but it's a place to see and be seen.

So you're mad about people getting to the rink late? Maybe you should write their boss a permission slip telling them that they can leave early to make it in time.

As far as getting up during play, do you think it could have something to do with inferior amenities? Bathrooms with one door that's used for entry AND exit? If you need to piss, and don't want to wait in line the entire intermission, you have to get up during play at some point.

Whining about people that have no clue where their seats are? You're a whiney *****.

Sounds like you need to stop worrying about what other people are doing, shut up, and enjoy the game.

This thread is idiotic. Have you ever been to a Leafs game?! It's more of a fashion show than anything else. Yes, they have good fans, just like Detroit, but it's a place to see and be seen.

So you're mad about people getting to the rink late? Maybe you should write their boss a permission slip telling them that they can leave early to make it in time.

As far as getting up during play, do you think it could have something to do with inferior amenities? Bathrooms with one door that's used for entry AND exit? If you need to piss, and don't want to wait in line the entire intermission, you have to get up during play at some point.

Whining about people that have no clue where their seats are? You're a whiney *****.

Sounds like you need to stop worrying about what other people are doing, shut up, and enjoy the game.

Every person coming to the rink late works until 7 at night? Probably not the case.

If you do have to get up, can you at least give me a stoppage in play. Its really not that hard, it happens frequently.

Seats- "Excuse me usher, where are our seats?"

"Go up 10 rows and turn to your right."

"Thanks. That wasnt hard at all."

Every person coming to the rink late works until 7 at night? Probably not the case.

If you do have to get up, can you at least give me a stoppage in play. Its really not that hard, it happens frequently.

Seats- "Excuse me usher, where are our seats?"

"Go up 10 rows and turn to your right."

"Thanks. That wasnt hard at all."

well for some people it may be their first game u never know

i'm sure u never did anything like that before, u never have got up during play not even once. sometimes something just cant wait ok

I'm going to have to agree with the original poster on this topic and I will state my reasons why. As a season ticket holder I get to see this all too much, and it makes a good case for the people that say that Detroit isn't hockeytown anymore. For starters, there is a rule at Joe Louis that states, "That you cannot go to your seats until the play has stopped". For some reason, people believe they can go to their seats whenever they want, during the play. Well I'll have to agree that this does get super annoying, especially when they dont know where their seats are and block the play for 5 minutes. Secondly, most red wings games are at 7:30, so there should be no reason to be late. It takes Jow louis until around the second period to have all sold seats filled. As has been the case for years, the lower bowl is almost always 1/3 empty, due to corporate slugs not even in their seats and probably drinking in the Olympia room. Why pay 100+ for your seat if you're not even going to watch the game. The one that pisses me off the most is when fans leave with 4 minutes left in the game. Ive seen it happen every game whether its a 1 goal or 4 goal game. We might as well start calling detroit "avoidtraffictown". Don't get me wrong, i can understand that some people dont like waiting in traffic, but didnt you know that was going to happen when you realized you were going to a professional sporting event with excess of 20,000 fans attending. I'll be the first to say, and especially as a Canadian Red Wings fan, that we have some of the weakest fans in the league. We dont cheer loud, we dont chant, other than the occasional "Lets go red wings" chant which is weak to say the least, and all the more often I hear people say dumb stuff in the stands. Although I'll be the first to say we have the best hockey team and organization in the league, our fanship "at the game" does not warrant the Title Hockeytown. Im sure everyone who checks out this board is a pretty hardcore hockey and detroit fan, but the original poster is right, our fans at the games are weak. We dont even cheer when the "Buffalo Wild Wings Noise Meter" shows up on the screen. Maybe its that red wings fans are spoiled with winning, but if thats the case, then thats bulls***, because you should never take a winning team for granted. Teams like toronto/montreal/minnesota/other wouldnt dare leave early or leave their seats during the middle of the game.

Thank You. Looks like you're a Canadian that wants to go and watch hockey. I don't think thats too much to ask for at a hockey game in a city called Hockeytown.

well for some people it may be their first game u never know

i'm sure u never did anything like that before, u never have got up during play not even once. sometimes something just cant wait ok

If it is their first game, then I totally understand. But to say it is everyone's first game would be a lie.

No, I have never got up during the play because I can wait 15 or 20 seconds for play to stop. I dont understand why people think thats asking for the moon.

If it is their first game, then I totally understand. But to say it is everyone's first game would be a lie.

No, I have never got up during the play because I can wait 15 or 20 seconds for play to stop. I dont understand why people think thats asking for the moon.

your right 15-20 seconds isnt long but if u really have to go to the bathroom or something 15-20 seconds seems like forever so cut them some slack but i'm sure thats not the case with some of them

Guest tini
1. Basically answered your own question. People get there late, etc. Nothing really to overanalyze.

2. People have to use the bathroom or are getting something to eat. Nothing really to overanalyze here either.

3. See #2.

4. Not sure what to tell you.

5. Would be nice if people would stay to end sometimes, but that's their choice.

All teams have similar issues more or less, and I think you are overanalyzing a bit.

Agreed. You dont need to get so deep into those questions, all teams have fans just like us.

There's different types of fans for any sport. It holds true with the Red Wings. I'll address each issue with my thoughts.

Some of it is due to traffic and parking. Some of the people who attend the games are older which probably attributes to the time. And some of them probably just can't deal with the rush to get into the JLA. For whatever reason they have, this has never bothered me very much. It's their ticket - they can do with it as they please.

I haven't noticed much of this at Wings games. I do know, however, that the ushers at the entrance aren't allowed to let you up the stairs until a stop in play. So it's normally those times - stops in play, commercial breaks, intermissions - when I notice a bunch of people walking around. During the actual play, you won't see much due to the ushering rules.

Personally, I know that finding the seats is fairly easy as long as you pay attention to the step numbers.. but I'm sure some people would feel rather silly asking the usher. Some are just flat out drunk. And some don't want to hold up the line behind them to ASK the usher where the seats are. I've never had the experience where someone around me doesn't know where their seat is, but I can imagine it'd be frustrating. However, you can't force someone to ask an usher. You can't force them to memorize seat locations. And you sure as hell can't force them to be intelligent. So while it's irritating, there's nothing you can do.

I think a lot of those people are regular season ticket holders who don't view the game with the same passion as the fans in the upper bowl do. This isn't to say that those people AREN'T passionate about hockey - but they know that they can go to a game in two days. So instead of sitting and waiting in the rush to get home, they leave early and finish it up on the radio. I also think a lot of them are company tickets - so people who wouldn't normally BUY Red Wings tickets go just for the experience - for something to do. They bring clients, coworkers, etc.. but again, it's all a matter of the level of passion you have for the team.

None of this bothers me. People are free to do what they want at Red Wings games. It's their ticket, their money, and their choice. I don't think it's our place to judge them for how they act. The Red Wings organization got their money - which is all that matters.

Guest tini
There's different types of fans for any sport. It holds true with the Red Wings. I'll address each issue with my thoughts.

Some of it is due to traffic and parking. Some of the people who attend the games are older which probably attributes to the time. And some of them probably just can't deal with the rush to get into the JLA. For whatever reason they have, this has never bothered me very much. It's their ticket - they can do with it as they please.

I haven't noticed much of this at Wings games. I do know, however, that the ushers at the entrance aren't allowed to let you up the stairs until a stop in play. So it's normally those times - stops in play, commercial breaks, intermissions - when I notice a bunch of people walking around. During the actual play, you won't see much due to the ushering rules.

Personally, I know that finding the seats is fairly easy as long as you pay attention to the step numbers.. but I'm sure some people would feel rather silly asking the usher. Some are just flat out drunk. And some don't want to hold up the line behind them to ASK the usher where the seats are. I've never had the experience where someone around me doesn't know where their seat is, but I can imagine it'd be frustrating. However, you can't force someone to ask an usher. You can't force them to memorize seat locations. And you sure as hell can't force them to be intelligent. So while it's irritating, there's nothing you can do.

I think a lot of those people are regular season ticket holders who don't view the game with the same passion as the fans in the upper bowl do. This isn't to say that those people AREN'T passionate about hockey - but they know that they can go to a game in two days. So instead of sitting and waiting in the rush to get home, they leave early and finish it up on the radio. I also think a lot of them are company tickets - so people who wouldn't normally BUY Red Wings tickets go just for the experience - for something to do. They bring clients, coworkers, etc.. but again, it's all a matter of the level of passion you have for the team.

None of this bothers me. People are free to do what they want at Red Wings games. It's their ticket, their money, and their choice. I don't think it's our place to judge them for how they act. The Red Wings organization got their money - which is all that matters.

i agree completly with everuthing you have said

That 10-15seconds of play action could result in jumping ahead of a bunch of people so you don't have to spend time in line behind them peeing in the trough... Stoppages of play and intermissions are the worst time for crowds at consessions and s***ters... whatever you have to do to beat the crowds, do it... on the same note it was just 10-15 seconds of your time too... thats not too much either

as for arriving late... maybe some people went to Hockeytown cafe before or other fine (SLOW ASS) eating establishments in the D and they got caught waiting....thus being late. Namely though its traffic living 40mins from the Joe and traveling during rush hour. I work until 6pm so yeah if i can't get out early it really does push me right up until the drop of the puck.

Edited by OsGOD

as for arriving late... maybe some people went to Hockeytown cafe before or other fine (SLOW ASS) eating establishments in the D and they got caught waiting....thus being late. Namely though its traffic living 40mins from the Joe and traveling during rush hour. I work until 6pm so yeah if i can't get out early it really does push me right up until the drop of the puck.

Either way, who cares? I'd guess that the person that started this thread is A) The stereotypical "biggest fan ever" that doesn't think anyone else is as big of a fan as he is, so he needs to tell them how to attend a game, or B) A jealous troll from a rival city trying to stir the pot. The fact that he stated that he/she is a season ticketholder leads me to believe that choice A is the case.

Same kind of guy that gets mad if a 65-year-old man isn't screaming as loud as he can the entire game. Watch the game and mind your own business.

Who are you to tell someone how to be a fan?

FWIW, I stay in my seat and all that s*** too, but I don't think less of people who don't.

Couldn't of said it better myself.

Sadly, OP, some of these questions are kind of ridiculous and overly nitpicking of very small and trivial things given you're at a public event.

For the excitement factor, my guess is you hang around too many season ticket holders. That's like hanging around season pass holders at Six Flags and expecting they be orgasmic over the rides each and every time. Don't expect it.

Nextly, I don't give two s***s how they do it in Sweden when I'm attending a game here. This is the US, they are Sweden. Two different countries, two different cultures. People have their reasons for leaving a period or the game early, so be it. They have reasons for being late. So be it. People have their own schedule, they spend their money the way they want and can leave the game early if they want. I just don't see the big deal here.

Again -- perfectly put.

Everyone in the place paid money to be there in one form or another. It is no ones right to tell them how to act, when to show up, when to stand up, how to locate their seats, etc.

Like Shoreline said, I really don't care how the fans act in Sweden, much like I could care less how they act in San Jose, Calgary, Boston or any other NHL city -- the Red Wings are an original 6 team with one of the most storied histories in the league. How Detroit fans act at Red Wings games is completely up to them -- and as long as they aren't acting in a manner in which people are literally in danger I do not think it is anyone's right to critique 'em.

Worry about yourself and the game being played -- if you stick to that you will be just fine.

I would be interested to see if the OP can point out a team in the NHL that has fans that we should emulate.

Any time you get in a group of people you are going to have people doing what they are going to do. The people who had the seats in front of me would come up from the Olympia Club at the first stoppage of every period. ALL THE TIME. Should I have grabbed them by the lapels and questioned their desire as a Red Wings fan?

Maybe grab him by the tie and start throwing haymakers to show how much more love I had for the Red Wings than him?

Red Wings fans have supported this team in unbelievable ways since the mid 80's. They have become a very successful, rich and popular franchise because of fan support. Not because someone doesn't make it to their seat on time.

Edited by AtomicPunk

I would be interested to see if the OP can point out a team in the NHL that has fans that we should emulate.

Any time you get in a group of people you are going to have people doing what they are going to do. The people who had the seats in front of me would come up from the Olympia Club at the first stoppage of every period. ALL THE TIME. Should I have grabbed them by the lapels and questioned their desire as a Red Wings fan?

Maybe grab him by the tie and start throwing haymakers to show how much more love I had for the Red Wings than him?

Red Wings fans have supported this team in unbelievable ways since the mid 80's. They have become a very successful, rich and popular franchise because of fan support. Not because someone doesn't make it to their seat on time.

Any Canadian team? Fans that are actually passionate about the game they are attending?

Any Canadian team? Fans that are actually passionate about the game they are attending?

Have you ever been to a game in Toronto/MTL? The suits are ten times worse than Detroit has ever seen. Bottom line, some people are just never happy.

OK. For people that still don't get it.

I don't think I'm a super fan, but yes I think I'm a better fan than the people who don't pay attention to the game. Many people on here have expressed that it is annoying and frustrating trying to watch hockey with some a-hole going up and down getting beers during the middle of the period. (to that guy who does that. this isnt high school. no one cares how much you can drink)

I started this post because it was embarassing listening to the players talk about our fans like that. You know, those same guys that lead you onto this site everyday to see what they're doing. Also, I love the "worry about yourself" everyone has thrown out. How about this? Just respect the people around you, its really not that difficult.

I probably can add if this stuff doesn't bother you, you are probably the person annoying the hell out of me at games. Therefore I am confident I am a better fan than you. Sorry. To the fans that do feel the same way as me, thanks. I appreciate the fact that you like to watch hockey.

Edited by mikiemike24

They are a rich and popular team because they are a powerhouse. Did the Pistons and Tigers have good fan support when they were horrible. How about the lions this year? Where was their fan support?