• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
KrazyGangsta

NHL should do something about this.

Rate this topic

:ranting: I'm really pissed off about these scalpers. It's been over a year I haven't been to a hockey game. I work my ass off, I have a lot of expenses I get to pay them all now I'm not very wealthy but I just don't got the money to pay 100$ - 150$ a ticket to watch a hockey game, not alone the beverages and the food inside. I hate scalpers and I have no respect for them. What there doing is screwing the fans for there own pocket. These scalpers don't know nothing about the sport except the dates that the team plays.

There are tickets for like 25$ - 30$ ... I know it's not the best seats but that's my budget. I'm still a student on top of that and I got books and tuitions to pay. I can't even get those tickets due to this scalpers that are raising the price by 3 times what it's supposed to be.

I want to take my GF to a game but come on imagine paying 90$ + 90$ +15$ + 15$ + 8$= 218$ for hockey game. Sorry but not worth it. If the tickets we're like 90 $ both I wouldn't mind but each 90 is screwing the fans.

I'm sick of it, I love the game but don't get the oppurtinity to enjoy it live due to this scalpers. I think NHL should do something about (not only NHL every sport, MLB, NFL,NBA) these scalpers.

* Can't buy it at the counter because the scalpers either reserved it or buy it before. Anyone else having this problem?

A lot of times when I want to go to a live game (whatever the sport/league) I plan it out ahead and try to pick up a deal on ebay or mostly off a site called kijiji (don't know if you have that in your area). Kijiji is just a local classifieds website. Most times people with tickets will put them up at face value or if nearer to event, less-than-face.

I can understand what you're saying, tickets/parking/souvenir/beverage/food/travel prices add up quick.

Ok heres what you do. Go to the box office or call the box office and buy tickets. Rarely are the Red Wings sold out. Their site advertises more than affordable deals on tickets. I laugh at the people who buy off scalpers when they could walk to the box office and buy tickets. You can get tickets for almost every wings game, and most likely all the way through thr playoffs until the finals. Word of advice, dont buy off scalpers

Pardon my ignorance regarding MI, but isn't scalping illegal there? I seem to remember a Home Improvement episode where Tim and Al ended up in jail...

Just asking because it isn't illegal here, not that I'm expecting the authorities to do anything about it.

Use the Red Wing ticket exchange on ticketbastard... thats how i got row 9 lower for fridays game....day of no less, for $65 each...

Pardon my ignorance regarding MI, but isn't scalping illegal there? I seem to remember a Home Improvement episode where Tim and Al ended up in jail...

Just asking because it isn't illegal here, not that I'm expecting the authorities to do anything about it.

Hahaha. If only everybody formed their opinions and knowledge of what it's like to live in Detroit off of Home Improvement episodes, maybe D-Town would have a much better reputation than it does.

My understanding is that it has been illegal in MI as long as I can remember. It was very recently legalized in Minnesota, where I live now. But that has arguably made the problem worse, as these scalping websites buy up all the tickets for everything from sporting events to Hannah Montana concerts, and then sell them back at a marked-up value. Personally, I don't know how I feel about the issue.

Guest micah

I think he's in Montreal, not Detroit.

Anyway, I don't take any issue with the woners of tickets selling them to the highest bidder. That's what I do when I want to sell something.

When you rely on scalped tickets, thats what you get. When I go to games I know months ahead of time, and look for the best deals. Going the day of and hoping for a deal is foolish, especially in Montreal.

first thing the nhl should do is make the max player salary lower! then drop ticket prices and all the s*** that goes with it, concession, etc. especially with the economy in the U.S. right now. i live in Canada and hear about the f***ed up economy in the states everyday, so that tells you something. so and i'm with you on the nhl doing something about scalpers, but it starts with them making teams lower ticket prices. the max salary cap in the nhl should be 5-6 million. you don't need more than that to live...comfortably. lastly, move the coyotes back to Winnipeg where they belong.

Guest Shoreline

Scalpers and re-sellers piss me off too. Almost every time I go to get decent seats for a Sharks/Wings game they are sold out within minutes of it going online. Then suddenly the prices get shot sky-high on Craigslist, Ebay, Stubhub, and now even s***master. The prices usually go down dramatically if you want hours before the game, but it is a small drive to San Jose from here (depending on how bad traffic is which usually isn't good on the 101) and for an event like this I'd rather have it planned days, weeks, or months beforehand.

I get most of my tickets on Stubhub. Rarely ever have I had to pay more then face value for a ticket, and when I have, it hasn't been more then a few bucks above face value. Wings vs San Jose game my buddies and I got tickets that are face value of $40, but we got them for under $38 a piece. Yeah, you get stuck paying $20 shipping charge on stubhub, but it sure beats paying 2-3x face value for tickets from scalpers.

Guest Shoreline
I get most of my tickets on Stubhub. Rarely ever have I had to pay more then face value for a ticket, and when I have, it hasn't been more then a few bucks above face value. Wings vs San Jose game my buddies and I got tickets that are face value of $40, but we got them for under $38 a piece. Yeah, you get stuck paying $20 shipping charge on stubhub, but it sure beats paying 2-3x face value for tickets from scalpers.

Maybe for nosebleed seats you pay near face value, but decent seats that normally cost $70 - $95 in the lower bowl, you're easily talking about $150 per seat (no better at Stubhub, where the cheapest I found was $175) which is what I got for a Flames/Sharks playoff game club level, which should emphasize how outrageous the prices are. I had spent at least an hour a day at work scouring aforementioned websites and too many people are buying tickets with the intent to sell and make ridiculous profits off them.

Edited by Shoreline

The trick to scalpers (at least here in Nashville) is to wait until the opening puck drops. By that time the scalpers willing to take just about anything so they don't lose all their money. A friend of mine got a $70.00 ticket in the lower bowl for $10.00.

I am pretty sure what is illegal in Michigan is selling the tickets within X distance of the venue. That is scalping. The resale of tickets online or through a broker, I do not believe is illegal.

As for having to go to a scalper for Wings tix??? I bought tix for every playoff game last year, including finals, from the box office. Though the fees online are insane, there are tix to be had. I am confused as to how anyone would 'have' to buy a ticket from a re-seller for the Wings. Maybe a few seasons ago but not anymore.

I am just thinking hypothetically here, but what could the league do? There are 30 teams in 2 countries. Each country has its own laws, not to mention the laws of the city and state or province in which each of the teams play. In addition, how would they know that the tickets were being purchased by scalpers? I know some events have a maximum number that a person can purchase at one time, but aside from that, how would they know?

Just looking for suggestions. Not making an issue- really more of a mental exercise and making conversation than anything.

Edited by 55fan

:ranting: I'm really pissed off about these scalpers. It's been over a year I haven't been to a hockey game. I work my ass off, I have a lot of expenses I get to pay them all now I'm not very wealthy but I just don't got the money to pay 100$ - 150$ a ticket to watch a hockey game, not alone the beverages and the food inside. I hate scalpers and I have no respect for them. What there doing is screwing the fans for there own pocket. These scalpers don't know nothing about the sport except the dates that the team plays.

There are tickets for like 25$ - 30$ ... I know it's not the best seats but that's my budget. I'm still a student on top of that and I got books and tuitions to pay. I can't even get those tickets due to this scalpers that are raising the price by 3 times what it's supposed to be.

I want to take my GF to a game but come on imagine paying 90$ + 90$ +15$ + 15$ + 8$= 218$ for hockey game. Sorry but not worth it. If the tickets we're like 90 $ both I wouldn't mind but each 90 is screwing the fans.

I'm sick of it, I love the game but don't get the oppurtinity to enjoy it live due to this scalpers. I think NHL should do something about (not only NHL every sport, MLB, NFL,NBA) these scalpers.

* Can't buy it at the counter because the scalpers either reserved it or buy it before. Anyone else having this problem?

I know how you feel. But hang in there you are doing the right thing. Keep working your ass off, keep going to school. Soon you will be able to do what ever you want. I know it sucks now, i had to do the same s***. Now I live in Tampa and I fly up to Detroit several times a year just to go to see the wings HARD WORK PAYS OFF

I bought into one of the ticket packages for a Dallas @ Detroit game. The seats were $21 a seat and it came with hotdog and pop. You can't beat that!

There are affordable ticket packages, you just have to buy a little ahead of time. The best way to put scalpers out of business is not to buy from them!

Its illegal but that doesn't stop people from doing it.