• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
ENFORCER

Lilja out Indefinitely

Rate this topic

Shouldn't be too long, but I doubt you Lilja fans will see him fighting for QUITE some time. Concussions are nothing to mess with.

Now, defenseman Andreas Lilja is out indefinitely with a sore knee and a concussion suffered when fighting Shea Weber on Saturday at Nashville.

"I got a concussion," Lilja said. "It wasn't that bad. I just feel I've got a headache, so I just feel it would be stupid to try to practice. He knocked me out. I hate to admit it, but he did. I just remember the first two punches, and then the rest of it I saw on TV afterward, and then I realized I probably got a concussion."

http://www.freep.com/article/20090303/SPOR...owney+called+up

That's just s***ty given the season he's compiled. That's a massive hit to the Wings' already shaky PK unit.

Yes sir. It's unfortunate that he has been put in this situation to act as the team's enforcer when he really shouldn't be fighting, very rarely if that.

Yes sir. It's unfortunate that he has been put in this situation to act as the team's enforcer when he really shouldn't be fighting, very rarely if that.

he was faring pretty well this year too in his scraps, it's a bummer for sure... but I think Downey definitely needs to stay up for the rest of the season, we can't have guys taking liberties with our stars and end up losing an intricate piece of the team right before the playoffs because someone takes a cheapshot, knowing they have nothing to fear for retribution

Guest micah

Someone on here the other day said that Datsyuk could probably fight if he wanted to, and that he isn't chicken (as evidenced by the fact that he takes part in scrums) so I doubt Downey will really serve any purpose. If one of his teamates got cheapshottesd, I'm sure Dats would throw the lid and gloves off and ruin the bad guy's year. Dats is intimidating, and he's the reason taht we never get bullied.

Someone on here the other day said that Datsyuk could probably fight if he wanted to, and that he isn't chicken (as evidenced by the fact that he takes part in scrums) so I doubt Downey will really serve any purpose. If one of his teamates got cheapshottesd, I'm sure Dats would throw the lid and gloves off and ruin the bad guy's year. Dats is intimidating, and he's the reason taht we never get bullied.

<_<

ok.........

I am not a Lilja fan, never have been. In the future, I think he will think more carefully before dropping the gloves. He was no match for Webber. It is time for Downey to come up and protect. Every team needs a smart enforcer. Someone who knows when to drop them and when not. If we are missing one piece on this team, that would be it.

I am not a Lilja fan, never have been. In the future, I think he will think more carefully before dropping the gloves. He was no match for Webber. It is time for Downey to come up and protect. Every team needs a smart enforcer. Someone who knows when to drop them and when not. If we are missing one piece on this team, that would be it.

:thumbup:

Max sarcasm level breached.

Someone on here the other day said that Datsyuk could probably fight if he wanted to, and that he isn't chicken (as evidenced by the fact that he takes part in scrums) so I doubt Downey will really serve any purpose. If one of his teamates got cheapshottesd, I'm sure Dats would throw the lid and gloves off and ruin the bad guy's year.

I think your right, but with Downey up, we won't have to worry about our key players fighting, like what Hossa had to do the other game.

I think your right, but with Downey up, we won't have to worry about our key players fighting, like what Hossa had to do the other game.

listen, Pav's is tough as nails and can hit with the best of them, but he is in absolutely no way, shape or form a fighter and would probably get hurt if he dropped the mitts... teams DO take cheapshots at him and he usually gets back at them by laying them out via check, or making them look ridiculous with a Datsyukian move... but no, other teams are not intimidated by him. period.

I am stoked to see both Downey and Ericsson up, both of whom can drop the mitts better than anyone on the current roster (although I would be VERY angry to see Ericsson do it, after the wrist injury he's coming off of)

Downey needs to stay up the rest of the season, simple as that, if for no other reason, to keep other teams honest, so we're not limping or crawling into the playoffs on broken limbs...

Some of these posts are f***ing pathetic. A KO is when a guy lays on the ice for a long time, and needs help to get off. A good example of that would be Fedoruk/Orr or Kocur/Kyte. If you think this was in that ballpark, you've been smoking too much of that Tennessee bluegrass.

To suggest that he should never fight again is also idiotic. Lilja has done pretty damn well in his fights so far. Name me one enforcer who's never been hurt before in any way in a fight? A concussion is really not that uncommon an injury for a fight.

Some of these posts are f***ing pathetic. A KO is when a guy lays on the ice for a long time, and needs help to get off. A good example of that would be Fedoruk/Orr or Kocur/Kyte. If you think this was in that ballpark, you've been smoking too much of that Tennessee bluegrass.

To suggest that he should never fight again is also idiotic. Lilja has done pretty damn well in his fights so far. Name me one enforcer who's never been hurt before in any way in a fight? A concussion is really not that uncommon an injury for a fight.

I like your posts GMR, but I think you missed the boat on this one. Did you read the article? Lilja said he was knocked out, not LGW. That's a pretty good source, the guy who got punched. Haven't you ever heard in boxing a 'standing ko'? You can lose mental capacity and have your brain rattled without getting carried off on a stretcher.

I like Lilja, I think it's been a good year for him, great in fact- but I would NEVER consider him a quality fighter.

I like your posts GMR, but I think you missed the boat on this one. Did you read the article? Lilja said he was knocked out, not LGW. That's a pretty good source, the guy who got punched. Haven't you ever heard in boxing a 'standing ko'? You can lose mental capacity and have your brain rattled without getting carried off on a stretcher.

I like Lilja, I think it's been a good year for him, great in fact- but I would NEVER consider him a quality fighter.

He doesn't speak English very well, so he probably misinterpreted the meaning of the word. A standing KO is what they call a TKO, which is a big difference.

Also, I think Sheldon Souray and Jared Boll would probably consider Lilja to be a quality fighter. :D

We know pavs can scrap...as evidenced by him takin a run at gary roberts in the finals after osgood was knocked down. It was funny to see him in there throwin uppercuts on roberts lol the point is he's our bread and butter, we don't want him doin that.

Guest GordieSid&Ted
We know pavs can scrap...as evidenced by him takin a run at gary roberts in the finals after osgood was knocked down. It was funny to see him in there throwin uppercuts on roberts lol the point is he's our bread and butter, we don't want him doin that.

Watch out folks, the LGW koolaid has been spiked.

Seriously people? Pavs is my favorite player but to say "he can scrap", based off one episode where there was a big scrum, people were falling all over the place, the refs were falling over people trying to restrain them and Pavs threw a bunch of wild, glove on swings hardly constitutes him being able to scrap.

I pity the day Pavs is forced to drop the helmet and gloves and fight somebody who knows what they are doing, without refs or other interference. Pavs can do anything on the ice. Straight up, bare knuckle fighting is not one of them.

If I had to bet on the outcome of a full blown fight between Pavs and Gary Roberts, I think Pavs would be in dire, dire trouble.

That's too bad for Lilja. He's been playing pretty solid D this year. He usually seems to be able to hold his own in the fight department. I think Weber caught him just right and he was out on his feet or when he hit his knees. You could tell by his reaction. I mean who's' gonna sit there and take uppercuts like that. Anyway, get better soon Lils!

Also, I think Sheldon Souray and Jared Boll would probably consider Lilja to be a quality fighter. :D

In all honesty, I think Souray lost his balance, due to Lilly taking a big swing yes, but I don't think he did all that much if any damage. Props to Lilly for going with him but I think he "showed" better in the Boll fight.

esteef

talk about a slap in the face, literally! Added insult to injury for sure. Good thing they're calling Downs up b/c Lilja is NOT a fighter, just a big body. We need a guy in the lineup to stick up for our guys.