• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
sureWhyNot

Looks like the Red Wings & the Sharks battling off the ice, Robert

Rate this topic

Well it looks like the Wings and Sharks are battling off the ice -- this time it's for Chris Neil. Supposedly both teams have been on the phones with Murray -- I don't know how it will end up, but it's interesting to say the least.

TSN Writeup

Also Aaron Voros has been put on waiver wires to make room for Avery. I do no particularly want him, but I figured I would mention it. Then there is the Gary Roberts situation, which quite frankly, is kinda sad -- well, at least when you hear his quotes about the predicament he is in:

From TSN as well:

Gary Roberts is hoping his NHL career isn't over, that it doesn't end like this, perhaps going unclaimed on the waiver wire.

But the 42-year-old veteran left winger has been around long enough to know that if he isn't claimed by an NHL team by noon Wednesday there are no guarantees.

"I've never been on waivers before," the Tampa Bay Lightning forward said. "It's a first for me. I hope this isn't how it ends."

Roberts knows his contract is working against him. Because there is no performance bonus cushion this year, Roberts' salary counts as a $2.42 salary cap hit, with a bonus of $10,000 for every game he plays.

Roberts was hopeful of perhaps finishing his career with the same team he started it with – the Calgary Flames – but it remains to be seen if the numbers add up for Calgary. Roberts' team from last season, the Pittsburgh Penguins, are in Tampa tonight, although Roberts has been told he won't be in the lineup until the Lightning see what happens tomorrow at noon.

Basically the reason I didn't put this in the rumors section is because I am curious as too what everyone thinks will happen to Roberts in terms of getting picked up or not. Also Voros, do you think anyone will grab him? I don't know but I don't recall these many solidified night in, night out roster guys being put on the waiver wire. I mean every 10 minutes another person is waived -- Roberts, Morrison, Voros, Satan, etc.

Was I just oblivious to this in years past or is this years list of bigger named players getting waived larger then what it normally is at the deadline.

Edited by sureWhyNot

*** THE SHARKS THEY HAVE ENOUGH TOUGHNESS.NEIL WOULD BE A PERFECT FIT HERE.GET IT DONE KENNY YOUR LEGACY IS ON THE LINE.
I hope you're joking.

what does Neil make in salary? Who would you want to give up for him?

Let me give you a hint. He's tall, he's skinny, and he really SUCKS!

That player I speak of probably wouldn't be enough, but I'd throw in some other compensation to seal the deal.

what happened to Voros he was tearing it up earlier in the season?

I'm not sure what happened to Varos' performance after his great start. I wouldn't mind seeing him here though. He's 27 and has a cap hit of 1 mil. thru 2010-2011.

That player I speak of probably wouldn't be enough, but I'd throw in some other compensation to seal the deal.

Wait, I thought you were in love with Lilja? Maybe I am mistaken.

:D

..When did we acquire Brian Boyle?

Must get Roberts. Who cares if the Sharks get Neil.

*fixed*

Good idea sign a guy about to retire for the same as getting a guy who still has another 10 or so seasons left and is a better physical player willing to enforce.

Must get Roberts. Who cares if the Sharks get Neil.

*fixed*

Must get Neil. And laugh as the sharks 4th line (Roenick-Roberts-Lemiuex) all get heart attacks.

*Fixed*

I honestly have no desire to see Voros in a Wings uniform. He started awesome, with something like 6 goals in 7 games but it all went down hill from there. It is also interesting to see just how much Ranger fans detest the guy -- I mean night in and night out they would boo the hell out of him (doing the same to Redden, but for what he is making and in turn producing for the Blueshirts I don't blame them).

Voros to me is a glorified Kopecky -- and I am not even so sure he is really a "glorified" version at that.

I do kind of hope Roberts gets picked up though, not by us -- for some reason I have no desire to get him either -- but by someone. Can you imagine if this is how he ends his storied career. Man, that would be a first, a likely hall of famer (depending on who you ask) forced into retirement because no one picked him up off the waiver wire.

Think Gary would dig the AHL? I think not -- man talk about a slap in the face if it came to that.

I do think we should try to get Neil. I honestly could care less if he fights once when on the Wings -- I just really don't want him added to the Sharks lineup. And to give him credit, he has shown that he can play in the past, putting up a couple 30 + point seasons.

I don't know though -- this is a great couple days though if you are a hockey fan regardless of who ends up where.

Why the f*** would we want Roberts? he's like 100 years old...Neil on the other hand, as stated, would be a benefit to the team play-wise, and a benefit to the team if it means preventing the Sharks from getting him.

I too would be fine with Neil. I just don't want to give up anything for him. My concern is what he'd be asking for to re-sign. I'm sure it will be twice as much as he's making now (1.2 mil)

I'm not sold on Voros either, but if we were to pick him up off of waivers, it would cost us nothing. If he didn't work out, he gets sent down to GR. If he does work out, then great for us. To me, he brings more than Kopecky in that he fights.