• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
RedLightGoesOn

Phoenix Coyotes -- Worst organization in sports

Rate this topic

So, I am studying in Arizona and several friens of mine are Yotes fans and are pretty upset in what just happened today with the trades. Lets back the clocks up 2 years ago. This time two years ago they dumpe their roster for draft picks, and this was looking good because the Russian Super League was considering letting its players being drafted. This turned out that the Coyotes could have some picks at excellent talent, and all was well for them. That Russia deal bombed out, but somehow the next year the Coyotes almost made it into the playoffs. Then this past summer they picked up Ollie, which was poised to put them over the top and in a spot to snag a playoff spot. Then this year the were same old Yotes, and after what just happened in todays trading, they just passed away a lot of their goods. The players they got they have no money to keep. I read somewhere that the Yotes werent paying rent to the City of Glendale. This has to be the worst organization in sports. They have no money, their fans always get let down, they are about to go bottom up. Nashville was in a bad spot but whats worse is how Phoenix's trouble just sprung up. They have no future in the long run when they can't afford players. This is a huge failure by the owners, who love to double ticket prices for the Red Wings games to discourage Wings fans from attending, instead of selling out the arena. Their location is terrible, their marketing is terrible, and the NHL is doing squat to help them. Anyone who wants to buy them would move them for sure. They have no shot at winning in the foreseable future.

Bottom line: this organization is a joke and the fans deserve better. Is there an orginzation that is worse in any professional sport that is stuck in this perpetual well of failure?

So, I am studying in Arizona and several friens of mine are Yotes fans and are pretty upset in what just happened today with the trades. Lets back the clocks up 2 years ago. This time two years ago they dumpe their roster for draft picks, and this was looking good because the Russian Super League was considering letting its players being drafted. This turned out that the Coyotes could have some picks at excellent talent, and all was well for them. That Russia deal bombed out, but somehow the next year the Coyotes almost made it into the playoffs. Then this past summer they picked up Ollie, which was poised to put them over the top and in a spot to snag a playoff spot. Then this year the were same old Yotes, and after what just happened in todays trading, they just passed away a lot of their goods. The players they got they have no money to keep. I read somewhere that the Yotes werent paying rent to the City of Glendale. This has to be the worst organization in sports. They have no money, their fans always get let down, they are about to go bottom up. Nashville was in a bad spot but whats worse is how Phoenix's trouble just sprung up. They have no future in the long run when they can't afford players. This is a huge failure by the owners, who love to double ticket prices for the Red Wings games to discourage Wings fans from attending, instead of selling out the arena. Their location is terrible, their marketing is terrible, and the NHL is doing squat to help them. Anyone who wants to buy them would move them for sure. They have no shot at winning in the foreseable future.

Bottom line: this organization is a joke and the fans deserve better. Is there an orginzation that is worse in any professional sport that is stuck in this perpetual well of failure?

They lost Olli Jokinen (dressing room cancer), Derek Morris (didn't want to be there), and Daniel Carcillo (big whoop)

They gained

Matthew Lombardi

Petr Prucha

Dmitri Kalinin

Nigel Dawes

Scott Upshall

some draft picks

I think the net effect for Phoenix is positive.

Worst organization is indeed the Detroit Lions.

lmao... you have your honolulu blue googles on while writing this??? i mean they are by far worse than any team that has won a road game!

::EDIT:: in case you out of towners didn't get that reference... its of the WORST ORGANIZATION and TEAM OF ALL SPORTS.... Da Lions!

Edited by OsGOD

Just heard Burke saying that they probably did better than any other teams and I tend to agree, what I rarely do with Burke.

Burke tooting his own horn as usual. He did okay, not bad, not great.

EDM getting O'Sullivan for Cole was a steal.

The Leafs?

What's worse? A team run by people who have no clue what they're doing? Or a team that could utilize their "standing" in the hockey world to hire the right people to help them win, but instead choose not to.

As for the trade, you should know that most everyone thinks the Phoenix robbed Philly.

The worst organization in sports is a bit too much. It is becoming frustrating, as someone who wants to see hockey in AZ succeed, to see them fizzle out every year. For the market they are in they needed to be perfect in their business practices and they were simply mediocre. They finally dedicated themselves to youth, and as far as talent goes things are coming together in that department (you can check on Hockeysfuture.com). Unfortunately when these players finallly do develop, they have to trade them because they are too expensive too keep. They need to find the right balance of coaching (looking less and less like Gretzky is the guy) and veteran players to put these youngsters over the top. They could be extremely comptetive in a couple of years if they could get better coaching and more role models. Shane Doan can only do so much (after seeing him play he definitely is not overrated).

As far as double prices for Wings games, the reason wasn't to discourage Wings fans. Before the lockout AZ Wings fans like myself would pay those prices to go see the Wings play and casual fans in Phx would pay to go see a big name team like the Wings and try to keep the place from being a Wings home game. Now, even in Wings games the place is half empty.

Interesting thought though: 5-6 years ago when I would talk to people that just came from Michigan they almost always were way into the Red Wings and as an extension had a mild interest in hockey out here. These days though, I the folks rarely seem to even know who plays for the Wings anymore and barely seem to have registered that the team won a cup last year. At most they say they followed the Pistons or the Tigers before moving out to AZ. Don't know if that is a reflection on a drop in hockey interest in Michigan too, or just bad luck on my part.

HAHA you must have known everyone here was going to say the Lions were the worst team....

But yeah, living in Arizona, its frustrating having having the Coyotes be so pathetic season after season. I do like the trades that happened, the Yotes get more depth, some good draft picks, and dump Olli, who cost way too much and didn't really help the team at all.

They'll still be moving within the next couple years, though. They needed a good playoff run THIS SEASON to help them get out of the huge pit of red ink that they're in, and it didn't happen. Oh well, Balsillie is happy.

What do you guys think of Prucha? I always expected a bit more from this guy....maybe a change of scenery will make a difference?

The chances that they can afford they players they got today is slim. They are bleeding money to my understanding. Coaching and GM asside, how can they support themselves without a change in venue? At least the Lions have a future. I will agree with the Pirates come to think of it, god they are terrible. It just sucks to see hockey failing. If the franchise wants a future they have to get a new buyer who has the money to spend to get these guys going in the right direction again. Its one thing to have a terrible record, its another to have a franchise going under.

They lost Olli Jokinen (dressing room cancer), Derek Morris (didn't want to be there), and Daniel Carcillo (big whoop)

They gained

Matthew Lombardi

Petr Prucha

Dmitri Kalinin

Nigel Dawes

Scott Upshall

some draft picks

I think the net effect for Phoenix is positive.

I have to agree. Phoenix just got a lot faster (Lombardi and Upshall) and all they had to lose was a player that would be gone anyway and a player that didn't even remotely mesh well with his teammates.

On top of that Prucha scored 30 as a rookie (with help from Jagr) and Dawes isn't a complete write off.

The loss of Carcillo is crappy for them because he had a stellar season in 07-08, but in the long run he's very much a replaceable asset.

Phoenix significantly improved their team today compared to what it'd likely look like next October had they failed to make these moves.

I have to agree. Phoenix just got a lot faster (Lombardi and Upshall) and all they had to lose was a player that would be gone anyway and a player that didn't even remotely mesh well with his teammates.

On top of that Prucha scored 30 as a rookie (with help from Jagr) and Dawes isn't a complete write off.

The loss of Carcillo is crappy for them because he had a stellar season in 07-08, but in the long run he's very much a replaceable asset.

Phoenix significantly improved their team today compared to what it'd likely look like next October had they failed to make these moves.

Agreed.....I think Phoenix and Pitt were the clear winners in this deadline.

I still love Carcillo, however they also have both Fedoruk and McGrattan under contract and they don't need all three. Carcillo brings the most value in trade, and that is what they've done. Upshall may not be the fighter that Carcillo is, but he is a un upgrade in skill.

Again, I think the gains overall, outweigh the losses.

Prucha can score 30 goals with the right team.

Upshall could be a solid 20 goal scorer in the right environment and brings a lot of grit as well.

Lombardi is a very talented player, and should easily fit on the top 2 lines.

Dawes is an experienced NHL player that can play a 4th line role quite well.

The loss of Ballard and Morris in the last year does leave a huge hole on D for this team, but I think a glut of forwards and draft picks in the system means that solid defencemen can be had.

Edited by Coolio Mendez

Guest Shoreline

That team has been the result of poor management and not even Gretzky can do much. That's why the NHL better keep it's paws off if the team fails because it did so under it's own incompetence.

On a more positive note, hopefully they can whip that team into shape.