• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Wingsin09

Bill Clement at it again

Rate this topic

SOME GUY SAID SOMETHING I DISAGREE WITH. LETS ALL INSULT HIM TO MAKE ME FEEL BETTER.

Hmmmm you know? Your right. I do feel better after ripping on Clement. I think tomorrow it should be his bone-smoker girlfriend Barry Melrose :P

What is so wrong with what Clement said?

Osgood's stats and overall play speak for themselves. Whether you want to blame the defense for that or not doesn't matter; he has been more often bad than good this season. With his play thus far, what makes anybody think that he'll turn it around in only 1-2 month's time?

I love how everyone around here expects the media to all be Wings homers. Why exactly? This team isn't perfect, yet for some, it's like everybody is immune to criticism because they play for the Wings.

Also, I'd to point something else out; did any of you ever notice that the teams the media picks to win the Cup usually don't? Or did the failures of Nashville and San Jose, among others, the past few years just get swept under the rug?

The Wings are the team the rest of the world loves to hate.

I kind of enjoy that.

I sure know how to pick 'em :)

Being a Buckeye fan AND a Red Wing fan it's fun having people hate your team. That's usually meant they have won more than they have lost.

Unfortunately Baltimore is my favorite baseball team and they have been irrelevant since Ripken retired. My favorite NFL team is the Browns and even pittspuke fans are taking pity on the team at least now.

I love how everyone around here expects the media to all be Wings homers.

We don't. Clement (and, yes, others) just have a shared history of "hating on" the Wings. Like I said, I personally kind of like it. But it is pretty lame -- especially in light of the fact that these "experts" are, like you said, notoriously awful at picking Cup champs.

Clement's opinion of the Wings doesn't really matter. I liked him and Thorne as an announcing pair, but when it comes to his hockey opinion it won't change the outcome. I listened to the trade coverage at work all day, and what he had to say about it all....and he is entitled to his opinion. You can't make everyone happy with what you do right?

In more important news, I like our chances as repeating. Ozzie still has a ton of wins. Winning matters, not how many goals you allow. Conklin can't be beat at home...In Babcock we trust.

Hopefully Downey isn't too gassed from his phenomenal brawl last night in St. Louis and re-ignites the flame into this rivalry. Lapperiere perhaps?

4-1 Wings...because we are better, and I will never, ever predict a score that has them losing. :sly:

It's easy to hate the Wings - and even easier to jump on the bandwagon. We're consistently a cup contender. Some feel that it "isn't good for the sport". Either way - it certainly makes the wins that much more enjoyable.

We don't. Clement (and, yes, others) just have a shared history of "hating on" the Wings. Like I said,
I personally kind of like it.
But it is pretty lame -- especially in light of the fact that these "experts" are, like you said, notoriously awful at picking Cup champs.

QFT

It's the same satisfaction I get when visiting an opposing teams building, which is always but twice a year for me(Dallas, LA, Chicago), and hearing all the "RED WINGS SUCK" chants. Usually lasts a good 5 minutes till the realization sets in after a few goals. I thoroughly enjoy that. Thats usually when I stand up, of course in my Red Wings gear and scream "c-mon everybody!!, RED WINGS SUCK, RED WINGS SUCK!!

It's the same satisfaction I get when visiting an opposing teams building, which is always but twice a year for me(Dallas, LA, Chicago), and hearing all the "RED WINGS SUCK" chants. Usually lasts a good 5 minutes till the realization sets in after a few goals. I thoroughly enjoy that. Thats usually when I stand up, of course in my Red Wings gear and scream "c-mon everybody!!, RED WINGS SUCK, RED WINGS SUCK!!

GOLD. :lol:

bill clement is alright in my book. you can't expect every commentator to favor the wings. a) it would be boring and b) i think there is some truth to the idea that *some* people really love to see us lose. *shrug* it would be hard for me to care less what he or anyone says. it matters what the wings DO, and that's all that matters.

Guest Crymson

I'd like to agree and note that Pierre McGuire and Keith Jones are also compete twats and total Red Wing-haters.

Clement makes me laugh every year. Yeah San Jose said they wanted a little extra grit at the trade deadline so getting someone like Clement to ride their nuts might be what they need :P We are the team that others love to hate and I see this a lot living between Ottawa and Toronto. Having a family side with one of the two. The leafs fans think we have won enough recently. I guess it's tough when your franchise becomes a seller but they load up on half ass goalies on the deadline <_< Most TSN analysts did favor the Wings this year except for that goof Hodge who says the Bruins are going to win the East in a landslide and play the Flames.

I love how Clement is "riding San Jose's" nuts when they got a little bit grittier at the deadline and are still ahead of the Wings in the standings. They've been better than Detroit overall this year. Period. They're the 2nd best team in the league - they're ahead of Detroit with better goaltending, and a defense and offense that are playing great as well. Nothing wrong with what he said at all.

nobody thought the Wings were favorites in 97, 98, 02 or 08! As a matter of fact, we had the same goaltending situation in all those years! Especially last season! You know what? Who cares! When win they get back to the finals, they won't be the favorite there either and when they win, guess what? They'll still show more commercials of the LOSING team on their NHL networks. If something happens to where they don't repeat, then oh well! Can't win every year, but guess who will be there year after year after year? The same team that's been there the past 15 years. Not the Pens, not the Sharks, not the Flames or the Caps, but the Detroit Red Wings! Suck It Trebek!

i love when people predict who's gonna win the Stanley Cup in October, and after the Trade Deadline.

almost every analyst just jumps on whoever is hot at the moment. i try not to notice any actual audio when Bill Clement or Barry Melrose or the like is on the TV...

Did any of you actually hear what he said, or are you all just jumping on the "bash the guy who hates the Wings" bandwagon? I realize that may be fun, but he had a valid point, there was no irrational Red Wing hate in anything he said. Given our current goaltending/defensive inconsistencies, I don't know that I'd say we're the favorite either. That doesn't mean I don't think we can win it, because we can, but SJ and Calgary are both tough too, and based on the year so far they do have the edge in goal.

Just out of curiosity, where are all the posters who were adamant two weeks ago that we needed to pick up a goalie at the deadline or there was no way we'd make it out of the first round? Sounds an awful lot like what Clement was saying ...

Guest Shoreline
nobody thought the Wings were favorites in 97, 98, 02 or 08! As a matter of fact, we had the same goaltending situation in all those years! Especially last season! You know what? Who cares! When win they get back to the finals, they won't be the favorite there either and when they win, guess what? They'll still show more commercials of the LOSING team on their NHL networks. If something happens to where they don't repeat, then oh well! Can't win every year, but guess who will be there year after year after year? The same team that's been there the past 15 years. Not the Pens, not the Sharks, not the Flames or the Caps, but the Detroit Red Wings! Suck It Trebek!

Wings were favorites in all four of those cup seasons to win it (especially coming from the previous season's disappointment yet being favorites again in 97), and the goaltending issues were way overblown.

Then, except one blowout Game 7 against Colorado in 2002 (preceded by the famous statue of liberty play to keep the season alive), there wasn't any playoff series in those four cup seasons where the Wings faced elimination or any true adversity. The Wings basically steamrolled teams. It's not to take anything away from series' like the Canucks/Wings in 02 or Avs/Wings in 97, but the Wings didn't exactly come out of nowhere.

The reason the team was able to win all of those is because it was well equipped and expected to win after many disappointing seasons in a row. Heartbreaking playoff exits in the early 90s, the cup sweep in 95, the heart break in 96 after an amazing regular season, then two cups in a row, expected to win yet again and losing early several years in a row (can't forget the LA Kings choke) until being expected to win again in 2002. They were favorites when they lost to the Ducks, Oilers, Flames, Ducks again, and so on.

It isn't to be pedantic as to why I'm correcting you. It's that Clement has been a ******* **** and the Wings have been pretty much the favorites to win the cup since 95. That might also explain some of the neurotic behavior of other Wings fans because of seeing a good handful of seasons of disappointing exits in the playoffs. Not that they shouldn't appreciate the 4 cups (they sure as f*** better), it just seems certain personalities do like to rag on the Wings. Gary Thorne was often accused of being both an Avs and Wings homer, but Clement clearly professed his undying love countless times for the Avs. After several years of that s*** I just tuned him out.

Wings were favorites in all four of those cup seasons to win it (especially coming from the previous season's disappointment yet being favorites again in 97), and the goaltending issues were way overblown

Last year the Sharks were picked as the favorites to win the cup. Many analysts believed that Detroit would be able to beat Nashville, but falter afterwards.

Wings were favorites in all four of those cup seasons to win it (especially coming from the previous season's disappointment yet being favorites again in 97), and the goaltending issues were way overblown.

Then, except one blowout Game 7 against Colorado in 2002 (preceded by the famous statue of liberty play to keep the season alive), there wasn't any playoff series in those four cup seasons where the Wings faced elimination or any true adversity. The Wings basically steamrolled teams. It's not to take anything away from series' like the Canucks/Wings in 02 or Avs/Wings in 97, but the Wings didn't exactly come out of nowhere.

The reason the team was able to win all of those is because it was well equipped and expected to win after many disappointing seasons in a row. Heartbreaking playoff exits in the early 90s, the cup sweep in 95, the heart break in 96 after an amazing regular season, then two cups in a row, expected to win yet again and losing early several years in a row (can't forget the LA Kings choke) until being expected to win again in 2002. They were favorites when they lost to the Ducks, Oilers, Flames, Ducks again, and so on.

It isn't to be pedantic as to why I'm correcting you. It's that Clement has been a ******* **** and the Wings have been pretty much the favorites to win the cup since 95. That might also explain some of the neurotic behavior of other Wings fans because of seeing a good handful of seasons of disappointing exits in the playoffs. Not that they shouldn't appreciate the 4 cups (they sure as f*** better), it just seems certain personalities do like to rag on the Wings. Gary Thorne was often accused of being both an Avs and Wings homer, but Clement clearly professed his undying love countless times for the Avs. After several years of that s*** I just tuned him out.

Wings were most certainly not the favorite in '97. Colorado was the favorite; the Wings were the #3 seed and many people did not pick them to win it. Even after getting to the Finals, lots of people didn't think the Wings could match up with the Legion of Doom.

Did any of you actually hear what he said, or are you all just jumping on the "bash the guy who hates the Wings" bandwagon?
I realize that may be fun, but he had a valid point, there was no irrational Red Wing hate in anything he said. Given our current goaltending/defensive inconsistencies, I don't know that I'd say we're the favorite either. That doesn't mean I don't think we can win it, because we can, but SJ and Calgary are both tough too, and based on the year so far they do have the edge in goal.

Yes I did hear what he said, and what I got out of it was, as usual the Wings don't have what it takes to win the cup. This year it's goal tending; and for the last 2 cups it's been," the Wings are too small, too old, not gritty enough, blah, blah, blah." Just once I would like to see him give the Wings a little respect. Of course that would mean we are probably not going to win, but you never know: the sun shines on a dog's ass once in a while and he might actually get it right.

Yess the man is entitled to his opinion, just like I am of the opinion that he is a bag of assholes. <_<

Edited by Wingsin09

The Wings are the team the rest of the world loves to hate.

I kind of enjoy that.

I look at it this way.

You don't waste your time hating something worse than you. If you're going to drink the Haterade, at least you're hatin' on the best. So let the haters hate. All it means is we're doing something right.

Guest lilja4mvp

wait, you mean someone actually isn't picking the wings as a favorite and is citing osgood's atrocious GAA nad SV% as a reason?

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

34e9w0y.jpg