• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
HomeNugget

Detroit Lions 2009 Thread

Rate this topic

I thought we could use a thread to keep track of all the moves the Lions have made this offseason.

Kitna was traded and they let Orlovsky walk. Letting two quarterbacks go leads me to believe that the Lions may draft a quarterback. What does everyone else think?

My roommate just heard on the radio we're getting new colors? WTF?

Really? I heard about the new jerseys but not colors. From what I've heard were getting rid of the black jerseys, and adding a throw back as the 3rd jersey. Maybe that's wrong. I have no clue. New colors would be a shock to me.

I thought we could use a thread to keep track of all the moves the Lions have made this offseason.

Kitna was traded and they let Orlovsky walk. Letting two quarterbacks go leads me to believe that the Lions may draft a quarterback. What does everyone else think?

i think with #20 (from dallas) they will look at what quarterback is there. if this administration is going to separate themselves from their predecessors, they absolutely must bolster the OL with the #1. assuming they win 6 or less games this upcoming season, they will have another early pick in the first round of 2010. they can go for their franchise quarterback at that time, where there will definitely (in theory) be a better class of prospects available. i was sure chris simms would sign with detroit and wrap up their offseason by adding a veteran that could compete for the starting job. his signing elsewhere obviously proved me wrong. either way, it's too early for the lions to be married to anyone and they should take every minute they have leading into the draft to dissect all available college standouts.

i'm not sold on stafford so i'll admit to my bias in passing over him with #1.

Really? I heard about the new jerseys but not colors. From what I've heard were getting rid of the black jerseys, and adding a throw back as the 3rd jersey. Maybe that's wrong. I have no clue. New colors would be a shock to me.

i've received alleged (not confirming, at this point it is still rumored to be true) reports that the lions will be going with a different shade of blue, in addition to the deletion of black and inclusion of the throwbacks they've already worn for years. to clarify, black jerseys will be no longer, they will have the home white and away blue and wear throwbacks for special games. of course, i'm sure all of you are aware of the logo redesign contest that was commissioned by the lions and supported through the free press. at present, there have been no confirmed reports that the actual logo will change. the only thing coming from ford field by way of news here is that they have received thousands of submissions ranging from hand-held amateur drawings to professionally rendered computer-generated drafts. the ONLY thing i know at this point (friend who has been on the strength training squad for four seasons - don't talk to him very often) is that several of them have been met with serious consideration but no official word has been given that the leaping lion will be dismissed for reworked or completely new branding.

before anyone asks, nobody in the front office is talking about the draft with the lions support staff. my friend is as in the dark about this as anyone else who isn't a coach, GM, or president with the franchise.

I want to draft Curry with the No. 1 pick. Curry reminds me of Mario Williams in 2006. You had all these franchise players like Young, Bush, etc but everyone said Williams was the "safe" pick. When you now compare him to Bush, and Young it doesn't look so safe anymore.

But they could draft a big fella at No. 1, and then get a number of LB's at 20 such as Manaluga, Cushing, or Laurenitis.

I want to draft Curry with the No. 1 pick. Curry reminds me of Mario Williams in 2006. You had all these franchise players like Young, Bush, etc but everyone said Williams was the "safe" pick. When you now compare him to Bush, and Young it doesn't look so safe anymore.

But they could draft a big fella at No. 1, and then get a number of LB's at 20 such as Manaluga, Cushing, or Laurenitis.

curry is no doubt the most versatile player available and would add a great deal to this struggling franchise. i would prefer that the lions address OL, LB, CB, QB in that order... but history proves they haven't used the best deductive reasoning in the past. i see them taking a strong look at whatever QB might be available at #20 and then trying to strengthen their DL and DE corps with the later rounds. i hope i'm wrong and they decide not to look at a QB until the 2nd or even 3rd round. that would truly separate this new staff from the completely insane decisions of the people they replaced.

So the Lions peddled off Cory Redding for Julian Peterson. You know, I know Peterson's a Pro Bowler and all that, but honestly my main reaction is to be glad they're continuing to get rid of the bums on last year's team. The faster they can shed the failures, the better. Getting a warm body back in return is a bonus.

BTW, I will not be happy when I see what they've done to the Honolulu blue. Colors don't make a team better. Players make a team better. It'll be just like when the Pistons switched to teal - like rooting for a team that's not yours. Getting rid of the black jerseys is a big plus, but I don't like that this is shaping up to be the last season in proper Lions colors.

So the Lions peddled off Cory Redding for Julian Peterson. You know, I know Peterson's a Pro Bowler and all that, but honestly my main reaction is to be glad they're continuing to get rid of the bums on last year's team. The faster they can shed the failures, the better. Getting a warm body back in return is a bonus.

BTW, I will not be happy when I see what they've done to the Honolulu blue. Colors don't make a team better. Players make a team better. It'll be just like when the Pistons switched to teal - like rooting for a team that's not yours. Getting rid of the black jerseys is a big plus, but I don't like that this is shaping up to be the last season in proper Lions colors.

Does anyone know what colors they're switching to? Their official website says exactly jacks*** about it.

Agree on the first part. We've had the argument before the jerseys. I just don't see the problem, and don't really care if they keep them, or change it. Chargers, Broncos, Patriots, and Bucs have all messed around with their jerseys in the last 10 years.

Does anyone know what colors they're switching to? Their official website says exactly jacks*** about it.

I thought I read that they won't be doing anything til next year. The NFL requires a lot of lead time on new uniforms.

I've seen that one some other places. Just concept work, nothing official.

Jay Cutler has demanded a trade from Denver. C'mon Lions and make this move. I would love to have Cutler here in Detroit. Wouldn't even mind giving up the 1st overall pick for him.

I absolutely agree with you. Wouldn't care about the 1st pick if we got him. I heard some guy on ESPN say if they trade Cutler they will need a pick that can get them Sanchez, or Stafford. I wonder if trading our No. 1 pick for Cutler, and their 1st rounder would be asking too much?

denver has 12th pick overall. I doubt they want to give that up. Keep in mind that Cutler is only 26 years old too.

I would trade 1st pick in round 1 (1st overall) and 1st pick in round 2 (33rd overall) in exchange for Jay Cutler and denver's 2nd round pick (44th overall i think).

Denver would go for that I believe and the Lions can still use their other picks on d-line like they should.

I have no idea, but my brother sent it to me, which he got from somebody else, saying it was likely the real thing. Therefore, it's probably not.

what your brother sent you is a portfolio created by a local design firm, zelley designs. it's official in the sense that it has been confirmed to have been submitted for the logo design contest (lions/freep), however the design choice(s) are not yet available to the public. this work is rumored to be one of the front runners but no sources to substantiate that claim can be found. bottom line, it's unconfirmed at this point.

you can see the entire spread that was submitted to the lions HERE.

to the "lead time" comment... these designs have been in some form of pre-production since early 2007 so the lions could roll them out for 2009/10 if that's the decision they make. the only thing preventing a move from happening sooner is dissension amongst some front office personnel regarding the history and significance (at least from a branding standpoint) of the "leaping lion."

denver has 12th pick overall. I doubt they want to give that up. Keep in mind that Cutler is only 26 years old too.

I would trade 1st pick in round 1 (1st overall) and 1st pick in round 2 (33rd overall) in exchange for Jay Cutler and denver's 2nd round pick (44th overall i think).

Denver would go for that I believe and the Lions can still use their other picks on d-line like they should.

2 1st round picks is gross overpayment for a guy that doesn't even want to play for the lions, even in a package deal that includes denver's 2nd round pick. expect other teams to lure away cutler and force detroit to start the season with dante, if cutler moves at all.

I agree that the first overall pick is gross overpayment for Cutler. The guy hasn't proven anything. Also, with the ongoing *****-fest in Denver, we could probably get him for cheaper than if everything were quiet.

I'd take him on my team, but I'm not sure he's worth the 1st overall pick.

I agree that the first overall pick is gross overpayment for Cutler. The guy hasn't proven anything. Also, with the ongoing *****-fest in Denver, we could probably get him for cheaper than if everything were quiet.

I'd take him on my team, but I'm not sure he's worth the 1st overall pick.

I forgot they had the No. 12 pick so that wouldn't work. My best friend is a die hard Broncos fan so I think I've been getting the version of Jay Cutler with his blue/orange glasses on.

RE: logo redesign

HERE is the front runner endorsed by the detnews. this of course might not mean more than a hill of beans but it looks good.

for what it's worth, the aforementioned design by zelley placed 2nd.

both are an improvement to what we have now, without changing things too much.

will be interesting to see what comes of this. will be sure to report if i hear any official word before its released to the public.

Perhaps this is the new logo?

http://www.detnews.com/article/20090324/SP...+new+Lions+logo

For those too lazy to click a link.....or in case that one disappears - it's basically the old logo with detail added so the lion is no longer a simple silhouette:

lionslogo.gif

Concept is a good one. Needs a few tweaks, though.