• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest NumbaSixty-Six

Would the Wings be better off had they Pursued Goalie Instead of Hossa

Rate this topic

So, what if some of that Hossa Money went to finding a decent Goalie?

We didn't need Hossa's money to get a decent goalie. We got one for 750K, his name is Ty Conklin. He was decent last year when he took over for MAF and he's playing even better now.

Osgood is decent as well, most sports fans know goalies and pitchers are the biggest heroes and the biggest scapegoats depending on the outcome of games.

Bottom line is our defense left our goaltending hanging out to dry. It's not really hard to understand for anybody that saw the game, once your defence hangs 4+ GA's on you it's understandable to lose your composure in net.

Frankly besides the disgruntled Pens fan angle, I don't see where it makes sense to question whether we should have wasted Hossa, who is on pace for an 80 + point season despite injuries, to get a pricey goalie when we have both a 4 time cup champion and cup runner up from last year signed. :huh:

First I will start by saying it's kind of nice to see the fire in the eyes of most hockey fans come this time of the year. There is no doubt that playoff time is quickly approaching.

My Opinion on the subject:

It is obvious that we have had defensive/goalie issues this year, what it is caused by i could not tell you. Could it be the short summer, bordem in the regular season, who knows. The fact of the matter is, we still have 94 points with 16 games remaining. If we win HALF of those games, and whos to say we wont win more than half, we will finish with 110+ points in the regular season. Detroit won the presidents trophy last year with 115 points. Keeping this stat in mind, no we probably wouldnt have been better off signing a high priced goalie in the offseason. Marian Hossa has come through all year with timely goals, good defense, and the fact that he wears down teams defenses allowing our other studs to shine (datsyuk zetterberg etc.) Lets face it, the NHL is a far better league with many better teams than last year, not to mention our division has become extremely competitive. If we finish with 110+ points id still say this has been a very good season, especially considering the trend of Stanley cup finalist teams s***ting the bed the next year (lol Pittsburg). As much as it would be nice to see us with a stud goalie, starting 70% of the games, we would not have been able to sign marian hossa, a perennial allstar, who if things go right, could sign in Detroit for years to come, bollstering or roster. The red wings have always gotten away with not paying a goalie an outragious amount due to tenascious "D" and skilled forwards on both the offesnive and defensive side of the puck. Every year someone questions the red wings decision in net, yet we've won 4 cups since 1997, more than anyone can claim. Whether Chris Osgood or Ty Conklin finishes the season and enters the playoffs as the starter, we can once again claim, that our goalies have combined to produce more wins than almost all of the teams in the league, and when it comes down to it, whether they give up 5 goals or 2 goals in a winning effort, the Win is all that matters. Detroit has taken more penalties this year than previous years, which in no way shape or form helps the goalies. Detroit management also has to take into account that some of our roster, (Lidstrom, Rafalski, draper, maltby, holmstrom, etc.) are approaching the end of the careers and we will see the face our team change drastically. This is maybe why you saw Holland and Co. draft a goalie 1st overall last draft in McCullom, something theyve rarely done, in hopes that he will become the backbone of our defense when these players who are so important to our teams philosophy retire.

Maybe im rambling on a bit, but i guess the point im trying to make is that no we WOULD NOT have been better off signing a goalie in the offseason. Players like Marian Hossa, willing to take such a paycut to play in an organization like detroit dont come along too often, and Holland recognized this. Lets not forget the philosophy the league has these days, doing whatever they can to help the team behind, with rediculous amounts of penalties and what not.

To sum it up, the league is way better, The red wings will still finish in the top 3 of the league, make the playoffs for the 17 or 18th straight year (cant remember dont feel like looking it up) and we will once again have a great shot at bringing a cup home to detroit. When it comes down to it, all you can ask for in professional sports is a chance.

I will say, when it does happen (Detroit winning the cup this year), whether our goaltending is good or mediocre in the playoffs, I will once again laugh at all the Red Wing haters.

Go Wings Go

Yes - In addition to pursuing a goalie instead of Hossa, they would've traded Filppula for Krejci, sent an offer-sheet Mike Green's way instead of re-signing Stuart, and retained Quincey. Because, naturally, they knew that Osgood's best season in his career would be followed up by the worst season of his career. :rolleyes:

Classy. I am sure Hossa would love to play in a arena that actually has fans in it. I am not knocking Detroit or anything. They know how to run a hockey franchise. Scouting is unbelievable. I really hate to bring in a NFL franchise comparison but they remind me of the steelers. All I was asking was do you think Detroit would have a better record or would be more sound if they had a clear cut starting goaltender. So go back to school for reading comprehension retard.

Irony at its finest.

Go back to school you writing comprehension retard.

Not at all disgruntled. Actually I was really hoping Hossa wouldn't sign with the Penguins. Totally avoided Cap Hell. With the Cap going down 10m next year and all. Its encouraging the Pens to keep all the draft Picks and Draft well.

:D 10 million next year? Who told you that? The majority of the revenues for this year were already in before October. The cap won't drop much next year. The year after is anyone's guess. Yearly cap numbers are tough to move significantly after the first puck's dropped.

Also note that the CBA gives the PA the ability to boost the cap by up to 5%, not a ton, but then again the drop this season won't be a ton either.

As far as keeping all your draft picks... well you s*** the bed in that department last season when you gave away 2 roster players, a first round draftee and your 1st rounder this year. The deal for Guerin was a steal, however. You guys got him for peanuts and he's clicking well with Crosby if last game is any indication.

Then the Wings are less 30 something goals, and even more with Hossa's assists. Maybe enough to lose at least half of those one goal contests the Wings have been full of this season. Really, what a ridiculous question.

I'm not sure it's fair to assume that all of Hossa's offense would disappear in that senario, unless the Wings were going to play what would be Hossa's line one man short all this year. They certainly would be down some offense, but I imagine it'd be at the level it was last year (Hank's rough season aside).

Yes - In addition to pursuing a goalie instead of Hossa, they would've traded Filppula for Krejci, sent an offer-sheet Mike Green's way instead of re-signing Stuart, and retained Quincey. Because, naturally, they knew that Osgood's best season in his career would be followed up by the worst season of his career. :rolleyes:

I mean doesn't Kenny and his staff have a crystal f***in ball they can look into? We are supposed to be the model franchise in this league and they gave us a faulty crystal ball in the off season. I say we blame Bettman, Sammy, nope not Lilja...not this year....who else can we blame? Rafalski seems to be getting s*** on lately...lets blame him...and of course we are going to blame Avery even though he has nothing to do with this team anymore !!

<_<

Guest mindfly

Hossa long term with caphit of 6M, Franzen long term cap hit of 3M = 9Million = problem solved? (Maybe trade filppula and replace with gr players)

Some GR kids are signed already, ercisson, helm i believe, bring them up to replace the ones that cant be in the roster, hudler, samuelsson etc

Edited by mindfly

What is that based on? Hossa is not even close to being as injury prone as Gaborik. Hossa is injured about as much as Gaborik plays, which is not often. In fact, the lowest number of regular season games Hossa has ever played was 72 last season. The years prior to that Hossa played 82, 80, 81, 80, 80, 81 and 78 games respectively. He has played 62 with the Red Wings this season already, so he will likely play between 70-75 games again.

You can be upset that Hossa left, but try to use some actual facts if you want to make an argument.

so you're saying Hossa seems to be as healthy if not healthier then Pitts. lover boy crysby?

Guest NumbaSixty-Six
so you're saying Hossa seems to be as healthy if not healthier then Pitts. lover boy crysby?

Not gonna lie, Crosby is injury prone.

Yeah cause after Osgood played great and saved this team from first round elimination to win a stanley cup they were gonna go after a goaltender? Maybe if they could have seen into the future maybe they would have. It's easy to question it now but no one in here was wondering on July 3rd or whenever he signed. And as for Osgood, he was playing better until Saturday where his team let up on defense yet again. They need to pull their heads out of their butts sometime soon. Preds and Jackets seem to be two of the toughest teams for the Wings to play which scares me because they could be seeing one of them in the first round.

The idea that a great goaltender can bail out a poor defensive team is more myth than reality. The problem with the Red Wings is inconsistent defense from all over the ice, not just in net. On some nights, they look every bit as good as they did last year. Then they have nights like the past two Saturdays. If they play like that in the playoffs, they're not going anywhere, regardless of who is in net.

Osgood was just coming off of an incredible regular season---recall that he had had some of the best stats in the league---and a stellar playoff year in which he'd played a significant part in winning us a Stanley Cup. He had signed an extension during the previous regular season for a scant $1.5m. The Wings were thus all set at goalie. Then the offseason's best UFA forward fell into the team's lap for almost the exact amount they had to spend. He could have gotten more elsewhere, but he chose to take less here. The management signed him, as one would expect, and then they screaming off to party and celebrate their incredible fortune.

As such, what you have made here is quite possibly the biggest hindsight post I have ever seen on these forums. Ever. Goodness. Please---take it back. PLEASE!

Edit: It goes without saying that said post is also utter nonsense and that my attempts to get you to take it back are a joke. Having gone through the rest of this thread, I also regret having even responded at all. Yeesh.

For once you and I agree on something.

The OP's question was basically the same thing as asking your doctor whether your health would be better off if you didn't smoke.

Of course we'd be better off this season with more solid starting goaltending. We'd already have clinched the President's trophy if we had better goaltending, regardless of what Boston and San Jose are doing.

Edited by GMRwings1983

The idea that a great goaltender can bail out a poor defensive team is more myth than reality. The problem with the Red Wings is inconsistent defense from all over the ice, not just in net. On some nights, they look every bit as good as they did last year. Then they have nights like the past two Saturdays. If they play like that in the playoffs, they're not going anywhere, regardless of who is in net.

I couldn't agree more with this. It is a rare exception when a goalie can bail out a team, night after night (see avatar, mid-90's edition). :hehe:

Generally, when the team plays well, the goalies look good, too. We don't need another goalie, we need the ones we have to play better, and the whole team to play the way they know how.

I think they will do just that when they get Homer, Lilja and Hossa back, especially.

Guest NumbaSixty-Six

Whatever, God forbid someone speculate on a scenario that would have probably been more sucessful. Admin I would be very Happy if you could ban me. The Arrogance and Homerism and the instigating of some of these posters is just to much. I am gonna laugh my ass off when the Wings due to being one of the slowest teams in the league get swept in the first round to Nashville or CBJ LOL What great Hockey towns those are!!!!! MONSTER NASH!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by NumbaSixty-Six

Whatever, God forbid someone speculate on a scenario that would have probably been more sucessful. Admin I would be very Happy if you could ban me. The Arrogance and Homerism and the instigating of some of these posters is just to much. I am gonna laugh my ass off when the Wings due to being one of the slowest teams in the league get swept in the first round to Nashville or CBJ LOL What great Hockey towns those are!!!!! MONSTER NASH!!!!!!!!!!

:lol:

Is this the same Nashville who's never won a road playoff game and the same Columbus who's never even been in one?

Our team is just as fast as we were last year, when we dominated your young and fast Penguins in the Finals. In fact, we're faster since we now have HOSSA! You've proven with that post that you did indeed come here to instigate.

And that ladies and gentlemen, is how you play get the guest.

I'm not admin, but I'll ban ya! Better yet, if it pisses you off so much, why not stay away? If the Wings get bounced out in the first round, come back. We'll be happy to eat our share of crow and praise you for being right. What cracks me up is that so many here are being drawn into your flame. Stop being moths people.

the wings had absolutely no reason to pursue a new starting goalie in the offseason. osgood has just won us the cup and played lights out hockey for the entire playoff run. they got a capable backup and a pure goal scorer. there is absolutely no reason why holland & co. should or would have been thinking about a goalie in the offseason. sure, hindsight is 20/20, but the premise of the argument that we should have gotten a goalie instead of hossa is completely flawed and nonsensical.

Exactly. If the Wings had known Ozzie was going to have so many problems this year, it's probably a safe assumption that a goalie would have been the number one priority.

Having no reason to expect that, Hossa and Conklin were the (excellent) off season signings.

Well, I think Hossa really comlpetes our offense. We did really well in the playoffs because Franzen woke up, which he hasn't done yet this season.

I think the next big move the Red Wings need to make is to get solid goaltending. Conks is good, but he's not starter good, he's a good backup. We need a goalie like Columbus has, he's rock solid.

Exactly. If the Wings had known Ozzie was going to have so many problems this year, it's probably a safe assumption that a goalie would have been the number one priority.

Having no reason to expect that, Hossa and Conklin were the (excellent) off season signings.

Yeah. Like I said, and others have, it's easy to look back now and say maybe they should have gotten a goalie but lets also be realistic with it. who would they have gotten? Huet? Would he be so much better when the Wings have just stopped playing defense? The other night it was blown coverage after blown coverage. There wasn't much Osgood could have done.

The better question might be, do we not sign Hossa or Franzen to long-term deals in the offseason because we will need to address the goaltending situation??

But even when the defense is not playing up to par, thats where the Goalie comes into play. I'm not saying Ozzie has got to be a hero every game, but trying to remember I don't recall once this season where he has literally won us the game, and not having our offense scoring 4+ goals.