• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

vol865

Wings - Sharks Race

Rate this topic

I hope the Wings rest up and don't try to chase for first in regular season. It will only tire them out and perhaps get pointless injuries that will carry over into playoffs. Better just to stay Second in the regular season and then fight for first in the playoffs.

Edited by Jwo

I hope the Wings rest up and don't try to chase for first in regular season. It will only tire them out and perhaps get pointless injuries that will carry over into playoffs. Better just to stay Second in the regular season and then fight for first in the playoffs.

Agreed! We need to not worry about those around us - just worry about ourselves. But I believe we should make sure we take out the Hawks in those last two games and get fired up and have momentum going into the playoffs....

Actually, they had their wakeup call, then hit the snooze alarm and have subsequently had another wakeup call.

This s*** had better come to an end in a big hurry. I fully expect the Wings to win the President's Trophy. Anything less would be a pretty big disappointment given the expectations we all had coming into this season.

The scary thing is if we do finish second, as the pts stand now, wouldn't that make us face the Blue Jackets first round? Mason scares the crap out of me! They are my biggest fear right now.

1-8

2-7

3-6

4-5

isn't that how it works. If not just ignore my post.

Here's the deal:

Wings have only beaten the Sharks at home this year. Sharks have only managed to beat the Wings in San Jose. It's pretty obvious home ice is important. I understand that the games in San Jose were much closer than those in Detroit. But the point is neither team has won in the other team's building. We don't get "extra special close game points" in the playoffs anyway.

If we clinch the conference, there is a 100% guarantee we won't have to play Calgary in the second round which is a plus.

I know first place doesn't really mean anything for regular season, but isn't it better to have your team go into playoffs fighting for something instead of being like "Okay well whatever. It doesn't matter. Let's just vacation" and then have to turn it on for the playoffs?

We won the President's Trophy in 2008 and 2002, the last two times we won the Cup.

I say go for it.

Although I don't care if the Wings win the President's trophy or not I do sure hope so they finish first in the conference atleast. Home ice is an advantage that I'd rather they play with than without.

The way we are playing, we do not deserve the #1 seed. And to be frank, I don't really want it. Let the Sharks have the 1 seed target on their backs.

The only scenario in which it will matter is a game 7 of the WCF if both teams make it there.

It will all come down to matchups - the 5-8 seeds likely will not be decided until the last week of the season. We had good draws last year, bad the year before (3 west coast/canada series).

I'm more concerned about having a goalie who can stop a puck than the seeding right now...

I don't think finishing 1st vs. 2nd in the Conference means that much. All the teams fighting for the last few playoff spots are equally annoying and capable of upsetting the Red Wings in round one. As much as it gets discussed, the odds of the Wings and Sharks actually meeting in the playoffs are not nearly as high as they seem. Home ice in a series against San Jose would be nice, but both teams won on the road the last time they played in a series.

All the possibilities above tie in together, I think.

- Home ice can be a huge advantage, but a healthy team on a roll can get past that.

- Fighting for the #1 seed could bring us a team that is riddled with injuries. It could also spark the fire

that is required to win the cup.

- A rested team may have the upper hand when it comes to the end....more gas in the tank.

The Wings are in "that" place. They need to get worked up. Both goalies need to sharpen up. A lot. And quickly. The D has to tighten up. A lot. And quickly. All the passing needs to be more accurate. Now. Clearing the zone has to improve, especially on the PK. Speaking of the PK, the Wings need to put more pressure on the puck when it's in our end. (can't clear it if you don't have it)

If any team can overcome all this adversity and prevail, it's the Wings. I don't think for a minute that all the other teams we play believe that, even though they have been struggling, the Wings are and easy win. I'm sure no one will feel "lucky" to play us in any round.

Hopefully they have a good case of the redass from the 2 spankings they got and have the spark of determination that it takes for Stanley. I think they will prevail. I think it's going to be a gradual but steady increase in heat until the fire is roaring and the Wings are unbeatable. I think they have it in them and that it will come out. Back to back. For parity. For Bettman. Do it boys.

i would like to see them try to get first because it seems like at home the sharks are great, same with detroit but either way i think it will be detroit and san jose in the conference finals thats is if ozzy can get his game back and get it back soon

1 SAN JOSE* 42-12 home 26-3-4 away 16-9-6

2 DETROIT* 43-15 home 24-5-3 away 19-10-5

:thumbup:

I was waiting for this thread to start

Id hate to see the wings force injuries to win the regular season.....Lets just get there healthy and crank it up and take them out one series at a time (At least thats my hope)

The way we are playing, we do not deserve the #1 seed. And to be frank, I don't really want it. Let the Sharks have the 1 seed target on their backs.

The only scenario in which it will matter is a game 7 of the WCF if both teams make it there.

It will all come down to matchups - the 5-8 seeds likely will not be decided until the last week of the season. We had good draws last year, bad the year before (3 west coast/canada series).

I'm more concerned about having a goalie who can stop a puck than the seeding right now...

I completely agree. I'd like to see the Sharks be the "team to beat" #1 seed. They've struggled a lot in the playoffs when they are considered the team to beat. In all honesty there really isn't much of a difference between being #1 and #2 when it comes down to 1st round match-ups. The Wings will be playing a team that has been in playoff mode for the past month either way.

Think of it this way... the second seed will probably have to face Calgary and San Jose, where as the first seed only has to face one of Calgary or San Jose. This is barring any major upsets. (which could definitly happen, i'm looking at you San Jose) So I definitly want the Wings to get that first seed.

GO BIG OR GO HOME!

Edited by RedWingedKitten

If we are first we possibly avoid flames in the 2nd round, and thats enough of a reason to finish on top.

No. First place FOR SURE avoids the flames in the second round.

Say Wings are #1, Sharks are #2 Flames are #3. Say all 3 of these teams make it to the first round, whoever is #1 doesn't play the flames because there will be one more team left that is 4th seed or 5th seed. 1st seed plays that team, while #2 and #3 play each other.

Now what if the #2 seed doesn't make it out of the first round? #1 still won't play the flames because there will be a #7 seed left while the flames would have to play the winner of #4 vs #5.

To sum up, whoever is the #1 will not play the Flames in the second round with a 100% guarantee

No. First place FOR SURE avoids the flames in the second round.

Say Wings are #1, Sharks are #2 Flames are #3. Say all 3 of these teams make it to the first round, whoever is #1 doesn't play the flames because there will be one more team left that is 4th seed or 5th seed. 1st seed plays that team, while #2 and #3 play each other.

Now what if the #2 seed doesn't make it out of the first round? #1 still won't play the flames because there will be a #7 seed left while the flames would have to play the winner of #4 vs #5.

To sum up, whoever is the #1 will not play the Flames in the second round with a 100% guarantee

I meant it as if they didn't win in the first round, no one would have to face the flames. My apologies