• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

YoungGuns1340

NHL.com: "If The Playoffs Started Today"

Rate this topic

http://www.nhl.com/standings/playoffmatchup20082009.html

I don't know how long they've been doing this, but NHL.com has a page on their site that lists the matchups if the playoffs were to start today. As of now, the Wings would be the #2 seed, facing off against the Edmonton Oilers.

1. Sharks vs 8. Preds

2. Wings vs 7. Oilers

3. Calgary vs 6. CBJ

4. Chicago vs 5. Canucks

Couple of interesting things in this potential scenario - no Dallas, no Anaheim, no Minnesota. Its also pretty crazy that the Hawks are as high as 4th. I really like that CBJ vs Calgary match-up.

In the East, there would be a sick match-up between the Pens(8) and the Bruins(1)

Thoughts? I know this could change at any time, but I thought it was interesting, mainly because I hadn't really contemplated facing the Oilers in the playoffs.

I like the idea of facing the Oilers. Roloson is hot right now but other than him I don't find that team very intimidating.

Actually, out of the 4 teams in the bottom half this moment, Columbus is the only one who I think would give the Wings serious trouble.

It would be very surprising if atleast one of Dallas, Anaheim and Minnesota don't manage to squeeze in there though.

Hawks vs. Canucks would be a fun series btw. Very much up in the air who would win out of those two.

As for the East I kinda hope the Pens finish 7th, so they'll get the Caps in the 1st round. Those two teams probably have the most fun rivalry in the league right now.

Wings need win the Western Conference because they don't want to play Calgary or Sanjose in the second round...if they even make it out of the first.

Wings need win the Western Conference because they don't want to play Calgary or Sanjose in the second round...if they even make it out of the first.

As long as the Wings and the Sharks are both in the top two seeds, they won't have to face eachother until the WCF. You have a point about the Flames though, the first seed does not have to play the Flames in the second round.

OK question...out of these three who would you least want to play in a 7 game series, NSH, CBJ, or EDM?

Also, we're a little tired of playing Detroit and San Jose in the playoffs, I really hope we get the 6 seed or even if Vancouver collapses the 5. We'd give the Blackhawks hell.

I also find both interesting and neat that there are four Central division teams in right now, so much for weak division.

:thumbup:

OK question...out of these three who would you least want to play in a 7 game series, NSH, CBJ, or EDM?

Also, we're a little tired of playing Detroit and San Jose in the playoffs, I really hope we get the 6 seed or even if Vancouver collapses the 5. We'd give the Blackhawks hell.

I least want the Wings to play Nashville, followed closely by Columbus, and Edmonton is way down the list from there. I get nervous seeing the Wings play division opponents in the opening round, especially these hungry, low seeded teams. I'm also just really tired of seeing Nashville in the playoffs and both NSH and CBJ in general as opponents. I think Edmonton has the weakest team defensively of the 3.

Guest Shoreline

I actually like the way things are. Wings would be underdogs as the #2 seed, and hopefully get their ass in gear.

Your team has never won a playoff game on the road from what I remember. Neither has Columbus, of course, but with Mason in net, they could be dangerous.

I think the Oilers will be the most favorable team that the Wings want to play. We beat them 3 times this year, it is different than the 05-06 season when we won 2 and they won 2 during the regular season.

I do not know Rolloson can be hot again in the playoff or not but he has been awful against us. Be serious, I am very scared if we will play against the Jackets. Mason has no playoff expereince but Nash can kill us somehow.

@GMRwings

Thats true, but thats not to say its impossible. We probably match up the best with Detroit but like I said I'd like to play someone "new". And this is all with the assumption of course that we actually make it in :unsure:

If Mason stays this hot, I wouldn't want to play Columbus. He's seeing the puck so well right now, and all it would take is a goal or two going the other way and it could be all over. On top of that, Nash steps up his game 10-fold against Detroit and he's killed us the past few games.

I least want the Wings to play Nashville, followed closely by Columbus, and Edmonton is way down the list from there. I get nervous seeing the Wings play division opponents in the opening round, especially these hungry, low seeded teams. I'm also just really tired of seeing Nashville in the playoffs and both NSH and CBJ in general as opponents. I think Edmonton has the weakest team defensively of the 3.

+1...Playing the Oil > playing anyone from the Central. Edmonton's strength is in their balance, but they've struggled all year getting consistency out of the guys that give them that balance (see Gagner, Sam). I think they'd be an ideal first round unless Roloson gets hot against us again, in which case all bets are off.

I just did a quick count, so I may have missed a game, but...

8-0-0 vs. the Hawks and Blues

3-0-0 vs. the Oilers

2-2-1 vs. the BJs, including a super-embarrassing blowout

2-2-0 vs. the Preds, including a super-embarrassing blowout

Pass on Nashville and Columbus for sure. I could live with just about anyone else in that vicinity.

It'd be a good match up but ... I'll admit I'd be a bit worried.

I would be worried about any team. And it's not how the Wings are playing now, I just think any team can win. Wings might be the most talented but as we know that means little.

I'd be most worried about the Jackets. They seem really fired up when they play the Wings plus I can see Mason being a guy who can steal a series. Preds and Oilers I would be equally worried about. There is not one team I woudl WANT to play. Even the teams on the outside looking in right now I wouldn't want. Giggy or Turco in round 1? I know Marty hasn't done good against the Wings but not exactly a guy you want to be facing in round 1.

Without a single hair of a doubt, Columbus. Rick Nash has more points against the Red Wings than any other player in the NHL.. not only that, but Steve Mason is remarkable. Columbus isn't a great team, but they do an excellent job of clogging up the lanes and shutting us down - and Mason does an astounding job of stopping pucks.

Edited by Ms_Hockey

Without a single hair of a doubt, Columbus. Rick Nash has more points against the Red Wings than any other player in the NHL.. not only that, but Chris Mason is remarkable. Columbus isn't a great team, but they do an excellent job of clogging up the lanes and shutting us down - and Mason does an astounding job of stopping pucks.

when teams are able to clog up center ice and force the Wings to dump and chase - that's when they lost their worst to me.

Columbus could be a sleepy type team capable of pulling off a serious upset.

Without a single hair of a doubt, Columbus. Rick Nash has more points against the Red Wings than any other player in the NHL.. not only that, but Chris Mason is remarkable. Columbus isn't a great team, but they do an excellent job of clogging up the lanes and shutting us down - and Mason does an astounding job of stopping pucks.

His name is Steve Mason. Chris Mason plays for the blues.