• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

cusimano_brothers

Westward, ho!

Rate this topic

So if a move were to happen, that would put the Islanders in the western confernce right? What team goes East? Columbus, Nashville, or other? I know it isn't going to be the Wings. Just wondering.

Actually the wings did say they would move to the EC before, if I can recall correctly. I'm not a 100% sure I think it might have been when the talks were going on about 32 teams. :unsure:

Actually the wings did say they would move to the EC before, if I can recall correctly. I'm not a 100% sure I think it might have been when the talks were going on about 32 teams. :unsure:

Two points:

1. NYI have a preseason game scheduled for Kansas City next year, so they have been hinting at this for a while.

2. Bettman has said that it is not a forgone conclusion that Detroit would move East, if a team moves West.

I saw someone mention before that the Wings have some sort of agreement with the league to move east before Columbus, even though CBJ is further east than Detroit.

I'm not sure I really want them to move to the Eastern Conference though. I think they'd be more likely to sink down to the level of the Eastern teams rather than maintain the high level they have from being constantly challenged in the West.

Edited by Chunkylover

Thanks for the points :thumbup: I knew I saw it somewhere, but am too lazy to dig that up.

Interesting, I know the Islanders aren't doing well, but are they so bad they are really considering moving them?

Edited by Carman

I saw someone mention before that the Wings have some sort of agreement with the league to move east before Columbus, even though CBJ is further east than Detroit.

But Detroit is a huge draw for wetsern teams. I doubt the Islanders will have the same sort of draw. Do they just let them go to the East without a fight?

Do you guys think Hamilton, ON will ever get a team? [i've read that this is the best location if a team did move to Canada]

(I go to McMaster University so I would only be a short bus ride away :D)

If they end up moving to the West, the first team in my mind to move to the East would be the Coyotes, due to all the financial trouble they've seen in Phoenix, and a number of rumors already indicating Phoenix's downfall as a hockey city.

while its not a hockey city, i will be upset because its my only chance to get to see two wings games a year.

Interesting, I know the Islanders aren't doing well, but are they so bad they are really considering moving them?

They truly are that bad. But I think they're going to put together a decent season next year! With DiPietro hopefully regaining his health, he (IMO) is one of the best goalies in the game today. They have Danis who's turning into a fantastic goalie as of late, Okposo is only 20 and already a big offensive threat, and many other promising young guys. With Tavares potentially joining them, I think it would be a much better situation than Stamkos going to Tampa. NYI actually has some promise. Or maybe that's my false hope... but I love that team.

Wouldn't mind a move for the Isles but they really shouldn't suck so badly the next few years (fingers crossed!).

I just don't see the NHL letting the Wings go east. They are a huge draw out west and to lose them would hurt some of those teams. While I would LOVE it for travel and the fact there would be less games to stay up late for, I honestly don't see it happening.

But Detroit is a huge draw for wetsern teams. I doubt the Islanders will have the same sort of draw. Do they just let them go to the East without a fight?

As much as I wish the wings could move east to cut down on travel, I think CBJ would be better served to join the Eastern Conference. They could be in the same division with the Pens & Flyers and have a natural georgraphical rivalry. I think that would help the league and CBJ more than the wings moving East.

Plus, putting the K.C. Islanders in the Central division would give them another whipping boy to pile up some points. It would also be within driving distance for me to take in a game that would be cheaper than going to St. Paul to see the Wild.

While I hate the reminder of the tragedy that was NHL hockey in Kansas City - the "history will repeat itself" argument has got to effing go >_> Colorado got their team sacked before and the Avs seem to be prospering just fine.

However, as much as I would LOVE to have an NHL team to call my own.. Kansas City is ******* up so much of it's pro sports deals here that I'd CRINGE to see the NHL logo attached to anything. Right now we're on the verge of losing both the Chiefs AND Royals. Despite thinking that we could probably house an NHL team, putting one in this area with the way they're treating pro sports right now would be a HUGE mistake on the NHL's part.

Down the road, once the Mayor quits trying to eff everything up (or Kansas City elects a new one)... then I'd be all for giving it a go. Right now though, I just can't justify it. No matter how badly I want to have a team here.

Sit tight Islanders! Give Kansas City time to kick out the mayor before you come on over. :lol: