• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

cusimano_brothers

Westward, ho!

Rate this topic

Yeah. The Blackhawks and Bruins, too. The Predators have shown everyone that NASCAR and hockey can't coexist, so how does this sound: Medicine Hat Blackhawks, and Charlottetown Bruins. Canada needs more teams.

Don't forget about the Whitehorse Predators. Who cares if they're up in the Yukon Territory? They're in Canada, they can't fail!

Don't forget about the Whitehorse Predators. Who cares if they're up in the Yukon Territory? They're in Canada, they can't fail!

If you put them in Iqaluit, Tootoo's family could go see him play. What a nice story that would be. And they wouldn't even have to build an arena. Outdoor hockey every day.

Moving? Maybe in the standings

The team is not going anywhere.

One, The team makes a profit where they are now due to the hugely generous TV package they have

Two, the owner has lived in NYC all his American life and has no plans to go anywhere

Just because the media speculates something, doesn't mean it is true. There has been media speculation since the early 90s that the Islanders were moving..............and every time a building becomes available, the speculation increases.

Charles Wang has steadfastly maintained that the Islanders aren't going anywhere.

Edited by Coolio Mendez

Guest CaliWingsNut
Yeah. The Blackhawks and Bruins, too. The Predators have shown everyone that NASCAR and hockey can't coexist, so how does this sound: Medicine Hat Blackhawks, and Charlottetown Bruins. Canada needs more teams.

So does California then... There's more people here.

So does California then... There's more people here.

No sirree. You heard the criteria. We're gonna have to get the Kings and Ducks out of NASCAR country, actually, there's a track down there too. We still haven't given teams to Sherbrooke or Kelowna. People around this site have proven time and again with actual serious proposals to put teams in places like Saskatoon or Maine that they don't care how many people are in a place, they just care that those people live in the ice and snow.

I saw someone mention before that the Wings have some sort of agreement with the league to move east before Columbus, even though CBJ is further east than Detroit.

I'm not sure I really want them to move to the Eastern Conference though. I think they'd be more likely to sink down to the level of the Eastern teams rather than maintain the high level they have from being constantly challenged in the West.

You are kidding right? I looked this up because on a map they seem to be about the same. Doing a general search I found that both Detroit and Columbus are at latitude of about -83 degrees west. Zero latitude is in the middle of the Atlantic so the higher negative number is further east.

Then I searched for JLA and Nationwide Arena.

JLA -83.0514

NWA -83.0061

This means that NWA is actuually further east by 0.0453 degrees latitude which is approximately 5 km or only about 3 miles.

SO technically you are right, Nationwide Arena is 3 miles further East than the Joe.

Longitude not Latitude...

Edited by chrisdetroit

You are kidding right? I looked this up because on a map they seem to be about the same. Doing a general search I found that both Detroit and Columbus are at latitude of about -83 degrees west. Zero latitude is in the middle of the Atlantic so the higher negative number is further east.

Then I searched for JLA and Nationwide Arena.

JLA -83.0514

NWA -83.0061

This means that NWA is actuually further east by 0.0453 degrees latitude which is approximately 5 km or only about 3 miles.

SO technically you are right, Nationwide Arena is 3 miles further East than the Joe.

I bet we draw well in the East.

The East already has 4 original six teams - the West only has 2, one that has been a poor franchise for years until recently. Bettman will die before he lets the Wings move East. <_<

Three teams is too many for the NYC area - let them keep the Rangers and Devils - and move the Isles somewhere else.

I personally like the MLB/NFL models where teams are divided equally into two conferences not by geographics. Ie. Yankees in the AL, Mets in the NL. That way all teams have somewhat equal travel. If some teams don't like it - tough sh&* - the West teams do it every year - let the East teams have to do it too......

p.s. Do the Wings get reimbursed for mileage traveled over the average for the NHL? I doubt it. They should. Many of those East teams don't have to pay as much for travel and that's an unfair burden on the West owners - they didn't make the decision to be in the Western conference...

No, you also can't be within a hundred miles of a NASCAR track, and there's one in KCK. Because southerners (which includes Kansas City, because hockey has failed in Kansas City before) are all drawling, inbred, Dale-Junior-loving rednecks and NASCAR fans. And you can't like both NASCAR and hockey, everyone knows this.

I'm surprised, by the way, that there isn't a conflict of interest question or two that's being raised by this:

Can a guy own one team and lease an arena to another? That sounds like a big gray area to me.

Just because someone is from the south doesn't mean that they are rednecks. hockey failed in kc in 1976 i think it can be given another chance by now.

The speculation about the Islanders moving is like the speculation about the Lightning moving to the Palace of Auburn Hills when Davidson first bought them. It's speculation about a team that has not had success recently moving because their owner might have contacts that could provide a better arena deal or something like that.

RMWG brings up an interesting point I have brought up at times in the past, which is the non-geographical division of teams. The NHL in fact has done this in the past. To determine the conferences and divisions, you would have to follow this process:

Combine Northwest and Southwest divisions to determine which teams go into "West" divisions.

This gives you the listing of:

Anaheim

Calgary

Colorado

Dallas

Edmonton

Los Angeles

Minnesota

Phoenix

San Jose

Vancouver

Following that, we would look to the Eastern Conference and take the five westernmost teams and place them in the "Central" bracket with the Central division. This would give us a list of:

Atlanta

Buffalo

Chicago

Columbus

Detroit

Nashville

Pittsburgh

St. Louis

Tampa Bay

Toronto

Leaving the final list of ten for the "Eastern" divisions:

Boston

Carolina

Florida

Montreal

New Jersey

NY Islanders

NY Rangers

Ottawa

Philadelphia

Washington

So this would result in divisions looking something like this, if teams were divided to account for hopefully equal travel, and we attempted to preserve established rivalries, conferences might end up like so:

CAMPBELL CONFERENCE

-West

Colorado

Dallas

Edmonton

Los Angeles

San Jose

-Central

Chicago

Detroit

St. Louis

Tampa Bay

Toronto

-East

Carolina

Florida

NY Islanders

Ottawa

Washington

WALES CONFERENCE

-West

Anaheim

Calgary

Minnesota

Phoenix

Vancouver

-Central

Atlanta

Buffalo

Columbus

Nashville

Pittsburgh

-East

Boston

Montreal

New Jersey

NY Rangers

Philadelphia

Each conference has three Original Six teams, the only potential drawback you might be able to cite on that topic is that the Original Six is only represented in two divisions. However, I personally believe that seeing Original Six teams play is generally something desired more by fans of those teams, so rather than being a drawback, O6 teams confined to two divisions is an advantage as it leads to more games against O6 rivals.

I saw someone mention before that the Wings have some sort of agreement with the league to move east before Columbus, even though CBJ is further east than Detroit.

I'm not sure I really want them to move to the Eastern Conference though. I think they'd be more likely to sink down to the level of the Eastern teams rather than maintain the high level they have from being constantly challenged in the West.

While they are further east, it is only about 1/2 mile or so. I don't feel like researching it but it is not by much.

From nhl.com :

Time is running out.

That was the message NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman conveyed politely to Town of Hempstead Supervisor Kate Murray and her constituents on Tuesday morning at Hofstra University during a public hearing on the Lighthouse Project -- a $4 billion vision of New York Islanders' owner Charles Wang that has the franchise's fate hanging in the balance.

Bettman, who grew up on Long Island, gave his full support to the project -- and managed to earn some friends in the process.

I really don't want the Wings to go East anymore. The competition is too entertaining in the West, the team doesn't seem as affected by the West Coast trips anymore. Moving to the East would just make the Wings lose their competitive edge. We'd dominate the East, but without any real challengers like the Central or Anaheim or anyone, it wouldn't be much fun.

While I don't want NYI moving to the KS, they had their NHL team and it failed so why should we move back? I'm sure someone wil chime in and say a team went back to Denver. Yeah but there is still hockey in CO. I still want the Wings in the East. Not for the team but for myself. It's tough for me to stay up for the late games and those games would be cut in half at least. Most road games done by 9:30 or so? While I would miss playing the Ducks, Avs and Hawks this team, and the Blue Jackets, belong in the East.

Mannnnnnn, That would be so awesome to see that division, I could actually get excited about divisional games again. Lets face it Columbus, Nashville are not exactly division rivals, they may think they are, but seriously. Chicago/St.Louis are on the comeback trail, but it looks as if Chicago may tank again in a couple of years with cap issues and that leaves STL! Bring on the Original Six (or 5 in this case)!!

I'm not real sure why the Islanders have lasted as long as they have. You have the Islanders, Rangers, Devils and Flyers all with in 150 miles of each other!! That would be like having (minus the population difference) teams in Detroit, Flint, Saginaw, and Lansing.

I would like the Wings to move east! I think we would have more rivalries with the Flyers, Penguins, Leafs, Habs, Rangers, Caps, Bruins, than we have now with the Sharks, and Hawks!

Well if Detroit does moe east, there would definately HAVE to be an orginal 6 (minus Chicago) division:

Detroit

Toronto

Montreal

Boston

Rangers

That is what I am talking about!