• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

cusimano_brothers

Westward, ho!

Rate this topic

What kind of idiot from New Hampshire has the nuts to make fun of the Oklahoma City Thunder?

Excuse me?

An idiot huh?

Anything to add to the conversation except insults?

Probably not expecting you to have any intelligent insight would be like expecting my dog to stop liking the taste of his own @$$!

Are you a particularly large fan of the name Thunder? You probably like Wild as a team name as well right. Next they should have the Kansas City People or maybe Kansas City Citizens!

That last one rolls right of the tongue!

From Newsday :

As Charles Wang's deadline for seeing significant progress on the Lighthouse project expired Saturday, the New York Islanders owner said that Monday he would begin to explore other options.

In a news conference shortly before the team's season opener last night at the Nassau Coliseum, Wang said that he would begin taking phone calls from others interested in the team or in the $3.8-billion project.

"Anything is open," Wang said.

Sources say Wang has received as many as eight offers from locations in and outside of New York State interested in becoming the Islanders' new home.

The Islanders lease requires them to play all home games at the Coliseum until 2015. The developers are waiting for Hempstead Town to approve the project's zoning.

One thing is certain: if Mr. Wang moves the franchise, "Inspector Gadget" will do everthing in his power to make certain a another franchise (whether moved or expansion) in the Greater NYC is area is established as soon as possible.

Phoenix: pack your bags.

From Newsday :

One thing is certain: if Mr. Wang moves the franchise, "Inspector Gadget" will do everthing in his power to make certain a another franchise (whether moved or expansion) in the Greater NYC is area is established as soon as possible.

Phoenix: pack your bags.

Good for Mr. Wang! I am glad to see there are still owners out that there that have the balls to do something. He gave them a deadline and it has passed. Sorry about your luck Long Island.

But you are right, Bettman will have another team there in Nassau ASAP! I was there in 1997, and that stadium was a dump then, they really really need a new arena out there BAD!!

Guest CaliWingsNut
Mannnnnnn, That would be so awesome to see that division, I could actually get excited about divisional games again. Lets face it Columbus, Nashville are not exactly division rivals, they may think they are, but seriously. Chicago/St.Louis are on the comeback trail, but it looks as if Chicago may tank again in a couple of years with cap issues and that leaves STL! Bring on the Original Six (or 5 in this case)!!

I'm not real sure why the Islanders have lasted as long as they have. You have the Islanders, Rangers, Devils and Flyers all with in 150 miles of each other!! That would be like having (minus the population difference) teams in Detroit, Flint, Saginaw, and Lansing.

I would like the Wings to move east! I think we would have more rivalries with the Flyers, Penguins, Leafs, Habs, Rangers, Caps, Bruins, than we have now with the Sharks, and Hawks!

I'm guessing you haven't been, or at least haven't spent time in NY.

People outside the city are foreigners to them, hell people two blocks away are foreigners. When there's that many people in one place, traveling any sort of distance is a bigger issue (think driving from Detroit to Flint w/ stoplights).

That said... I really don't care if Detroit is east or west... I think we'd be much more publicized in the east.

So if a move were to happen, that would put the Islanders in the western confernce right? What team goes East? Columbus, Nashville, or other? I know it isn't going to be the Wings. Just wondering.

In the world of NHL and Bettman thinking, you KNOW Chicago will move East. . . has nothing to do with geography.

I don't get what all the hate going towards Charles Wang is about recently; yes there is a chance that the Isles could end up moving if they don't end up with the new arena Wang wants built. Yes, the city doesn't want a new arena to be built. But the only thing holding it up is the fact that the city is refusing to approve the project that Wang himself will be paying for. Wang is willing to dish out SERIOUS cash to build a state-of-the-art arena to keep the team on the Island. But do they really want him to keep it there? That's the question. And the city's response to his arena project says "maybe not" because Nassau is a dump that has a 50-50 chance of collapsing in upon itself by the end of the Isles' lease.

Again, from nhl dot com :

the Lighthouse Project -- a $4 billion vision of New York Islanders' owner Charles Wang

Naturally, Islanders fans are most interested in the facelift that the 37-year-old arena desperately needs. The capacity for hockey would increase from a League-low 16,234 to 17,500, while the concourses would be expanded and increased. The Isles' current lease with Nassau County expires in 2015.

So, they should reorganize conferences because you go to bed early? :blink:

While I don't want NYI moving to the KS, they had their NHL team and it failed so why should we move back? I'm sure someone wil chime in and say a team went back to Denver. Yeah but there is still hockey in CO. I still want the Wings in the East. Not for the team but for myself. It's tough for me to stay up for the late games and those games would be cut in half at least. Most road games done by 9:30 or so? While I would miss playing the Ducks, Avs and Hawks this team, and the Blue Jackets, belong in the East.

From New York Post :

Charles Wang has always been a man with a plan. It just happens that since he bought the Islanders 10 years ago, that plan has hardly gotten off the ground.

So after years of contemplating moving the franchise because a construction project for a new stadium complex has not been approved, Wang said yesterday the Islanders would stay put for the time being.

"We're going to be here until 2015," Wang said at the team's media day. "We're going to pursue every option, but we're here. 2015 is the date when our lease is up."

Committed, shackled; it's all the same.

Who is gonna pay for that project? A $4B dollar project is something that I don't think NY can help with since they are supposedly billions in deficit.

"I think attendance has been impacted by the state of this facility,"

Or Mr. Buttman that the team has sucked for years and is not really worth the price of admission.

Wings in the East would be a Huge relief. It isn't just about us staying up to watch the games, it's about travel throughout the regular season and playoffs.

Instead of spending hours flying to different time zones as much during the year, all the teams you'd play would be a lot closer. You'd be a bit fresher for the playoffs.

In the playoffs, to Draw LA first round, Anaheim 2nd Round, Vancouver 3rd round, and have each series go an average of 6 games, If you do make it through to the finals, look at all the travel and Time zone Changes you've gone through, compared to a Pittsburgh, who might have had to play Philadelphia, Toronto and New York. In a series of two teams that are somewhat similar in talent, all that travel does make a difference.

I'll take the travel edge in the playoffs, and I'll take the rivalry with Montreal over Chicago, And the Rivalry with Toronto over St.Louis. I'll take Boston and Ottawa over Nashville and Columbus, and Move Buffalo over to the Atlantic to replace the Islanders moving out of New York.

Look at that Division - Detroit, Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa and Boston. That's as close to an Original 6 Division as you're going to get.

<!--quoteo(post=1570706:date=March 10, 2009 - 01:06PM:name=Datsyerberger)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Datsyerberger @ March 10, 2009 - 01:06PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=1570706"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->"The Kansas City Islanders"

One of these things is not like the others, one of these things just doesn't belong...<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Good point! Seriously. So what should they change their name to?

They could drop the S for an N and call themselves the Kansas City Inlanders...

For anyone claiming Bettman said Detroit would move east, a link or source would be appreciated.

Speaking as a fan from the west coast, if they moved east that would virtually eliminate my ability to watch them at all. You may have to stay up late to watch the game but at least you have the option. I don't have the option to leave work early to catch the game.

Why Kansas City? There is no hockey there. If the team is going to be in the US go to a city like, Seattle, Milwaukee,or Portland.

Kansas City has a team <_< the problem with Kansas City is the new arena they built in the middle of a s***ty downtown area that no one is going to want to go to.

Hell, they did a pre-season game there the past couple seasons... my parents went and had to change clothes to go out to eat due to the dress code downtown, and THEN change into their jerseys for the game. No one is gonna want to do that.

Guest ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

i read in the local paper today that their was a poll on tsn? cbc? ESPN? i dunno aboot which city you thought deserved a franchise back and Winnipeg was the winner with 62%

Quebec City was 2nd with 57%

and...how aboot the Kansas City Chefs :ph34r:

Kansas City has a team <_< the problem with Kansas City is the new arena they built in the middle of a s***ty downtown area that no one is going to want to go to.

Hell, they did a pre-season game there the past couple seasons... my parents went and had to change clothes to go out to eat due to the dress code downtown, and THEN change into their jerseys for the game. No one is gonna want to do that.

Where else would you have proposed they put the arena?

With the revitalized PNL district downtown, the arena is not in a bad spot at all. I'm also willing to wager if and when KC ever did get a team, any retarded "dress code" rules would be instantly waived. Talk about a non-issue.

Why Kansas City? There is no hockey there. If the team is going to be in the US go to a city like, Seattle, Milwaukee,or Portland.

Try using some common sense. Neither Portland or Milwaukee will be able to support 2 teams with overlapping seasons in such small markets. The 2 American cities that easily make the most sense are Seattle and KC. IMO Seattle should get the nod as the West coast desperately needs another team. I'm sure Houston would maybe get a look due to the shear size, but the southern teams generally haven't faired to well at all financially.

Edited by zrf

Neither Portland or Milwaukee will be able to support 2 teams with overlapping seasons in such small markets.

I know the Winterhawks still play in Memorial Coliseum, but the seating capacity is not high enough for the NHL and juggling the Rose Garden won't work for the reasons you explain. Portland fills in an empty spot between Vancouver and San Jose for fans, though, and could have lower development costs than a larger city. Every city has financial troubles when it comes to professional sports franchises - building and maintaining sports arenas is a bit of a circus all its own.

The 2 American cities that easily make the most sense are Seattle and KC. IMO Seattle should get the nod as the West coast desperately needs another team. I'm sure Houston would maybe get a look due to the shear size, but the southern teams generally haven't faired to well at all financially.

Portland seems to be a larger market for the game and does attract 200,000 fans to junior hockey annually.

http://djcoregon.com/news/2010/08/16/portland-winterhawks-may-fly-the-coop/

http://www.oregonlive.com/hawks/index.ssf/2010/09/winterhawks_no_1_in_whl_in_jun.html

http://www.pnwlocalnews.com/south_king/ken/news/92690334.html

Averaging just over 4,000/game at ShoWare, over a 27 home game season (plus missing the WHL playoffs), it's hard to estimate the popularity of hockey and whether the Winterhawks simply had some of Don Cherry's publicity influencing the market. I really don't know about KC and Milwaukee and have not attended a Winterhawks game, it just doesn't seem that Portland-Seattle dynamic is the way you paint it for hockey.

For anyone claiming Bettman said Detroit would move east, a link or source would be appreciated.

Speaking as a fan from the west coast, if they moved east that would virtually eliminate my ability to watch them at all. You may have to stay up late to watch the game but at least you have the option. I don't have the option to leave work early to catch the game.

Get Center Ice and you can watch all the games.