• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hank Dats 'N Homer

Possible Cheap Goalie

Rate this topic

This is not suppose to be another "our goalies suck and we need to get one to take their place" thread. This is more of just a question that i had that turned into a possible idea. I was reading about how Brodeur was coming up to Roy's record. NO im not suggesting trying to steal Brodeur from the Devils. But while i was reading the article, i started to thin about Scott Clemmensen who replaced Brodeur while he was out. While Brodeur was out Clemmensen played In 40 games, posting a 25-13-1 record with a 2.39 GAA, .917 save percentage and two shutouts. Now are these numbers Super fantastic? Not really. But they are pretty decent numbers for a guy who was brought into the spotlight for the first time (minus his stint in toronto for a while and the random call ups). Now im not reccomending going out and signing this guy to solve our goalie problems, mainly because i think our problem isnt just goaltending, but the whole team playing sluggish and sloppy defensively, but we havent had a goalie that has really "stolen" a game for us all season. Now i didnt get to see alot of games that clemmensen played or anything, but it seemed while he was the starter, there was some big talk about him. I also dont know why he was sent back down, so if he was sent back down because he completely started to fold and play bad than disregard this. But the numbers he posted, the fact that he is an UFA after the season and the fact that hes only making 500K made me think about asking what everyone thought about this guy. This thread was really meant for me to just ask the question about how well he actually played and if he looked any good while playing. Like i said i didnt really see any games that he played, just going by word of mouth and what i saw on ESPN each morning. anyways, what do you guys think for next season assuming we dont resign Conklin for whatever reason and Howard continues to be a bust?

I know everyone hates "Bash the goalie thread" so again, this is not a bash the goalie type thread, just a question/topic i was curious about everyones opinion on.

Clemmenson would be good. I honestly thought this would be a "Sign Emery/Cechmanek/Esche" for the playoffs kind of thread. Glad I was wrong.

haha, no im pretty sure we are taking ozzie and conklin to playoffs this year, and i think they can pull their stuff together as long as the rest of our team can start playing too. I just know they have hyped up Howard so much and if we only signed Conklin for one year so that he could be a filler until Howard is ready, and the kid turns out to be a dud like he seems to be so far, then we need to find another alternative and a cheap one at that if we plan on trying to resign some of our big name forwards. I mean they could easily resign Conklin which i wouldnt be against, but i know some people arent his biggest fans and think hes been a dud too, so i was just tryiing to see what everyone else thought.

Or we could just go with Howard and/or Larsson which will cost us nothing more than what we already pay, while we wait for McCollum..

Just a thought.

Yeah i figured someone would say this sooner or later. Im not suggesting that we try to find a replacement for McCollum, but he has about as much hype now as Howard did when we first drafted him. Not to mention he is still so young and we seem to have a habbit to leave alot of our players in the minors for longer periods of time allowing them to develope more. Theres no real way of knowing how long McCollum will be stuck in the minors, and i dont know what kind of players are going to want to play for the wings if we dont have goaltenders other than Howard who hasnt been spectacular by any stretch of the imagination and Larsson who has yet to play an NHL game. Im not trying to say that this is a bad idea, btut you take a guy like Hossa for example who came to Detroit because he felt it was the best chance to win a cup. Would he have done that knowing that our goaltenders would be Howard/Larsson? Or did he do it because he saw how crazy Ozzie played in playoffs and knew Conklin was a pretty consistent backup and felt they gave him a good chance to win a cup? Im just saying, mcCollum has a few years before hes going to be ready for the NHL, and i was just trying to see what people were thinking for a cheap reliable goaltender for next season.

Watching alot of Devils games Id say Clemmensen is ok. I do not think he would be an upgrade. If you watch him he lloks really awkward playing the position and almost never makes a rebound save. The devils tightened up and allowed one shot and then cleared the rebound. In my opinon he is just not that good. He gets beat by bad shots as well. He would get lit up on our penalty kill

Edited by cnot19

Or we could just go with Howard and/or Larsson which will cost us nothing more than what we already pay, while we wait for McCollum..

Just a thought.

As good as McCollum looks now- Howard looked better when he was done playing in college.

We still have no clue what McCollum will look like in the NHL.

I think Clemmenson is marginally better than Ty. Conks loses focus a lot, it is apparent with his see-saw play. Clemmenson is more even keel. The Wings could've had Clemmenson at the deadline for literally nothing but they didn't bite. That'll come back to in turn bite them.

I think we are stuck with what we have for the rest of the year, but I would not be opposed to throwing Larsson or Howard right into the fire next season.

Maybe we get lucky and one of them turns out to be a Mason/Price kind of player. I think its time the Wings take a serious look at their homegrown talent in net for the future. The Wings can't rely on bandaids like Conklin or Clemmenson if they want to be contenders 2-3 years from now.

I'm been silently frustrated with goaltending this year, but quick to try and squelch most of these goalie threads. Not going to way in on what should or shouldnt be done, just going to say I finally feel like many have all year, we're going to get embarrassed in the playoffs again. Last night was a perfect example of what we'll see in the playoffs, and more than either of the 8 goal nights they've had recently, that was a failure. Having a 4-1, taking a 4-2 lead into the last few minutes of the third, then letting in softy after softy to let them take the lead. It was blind luck to beat Kipper in the last minute to get a point out of it. First goal HAD to be a save, you take that stinker away and even with the breakdown, you may still have a win.

I wouldn't mind seeing Clemmensen, but remember how good Conklin was in relief last year, then look how relatively poorly he's played this year.

I do not think the Red Wings will keep Howard. I am assuming after this season he'll just walk, as this is his last season of AHL eligibility.

And I would doubt if Larsson or McCollum are ready for the NHL. I'm assuming we may use some money this off-season to get a decent semi-veteran goalie with some playoff experience (will any be available though?), putting Osgood in a back-up roll as he was under Hasek.

And we could see a big surprise next year.....who knows?

I actually really like Conklin. Do you think that he'll be signed for a couple more years?

Id Like to see it happen. Conklin is a proven back up and Howard hasnt really shown much at the NHL level...

I know I know Im gonna get jumped for this because he's only played a few games in the NHL, But he has also had plenty of opportunity to show case himself and "stake his claim" sort-a-speak. I'm less comfortable with Howard involved in this goalie tandem than I am with the current guys.

Umm, I'd much rather have Conklin then Clemmenson. Conklin has a much better goaltending name. He also has a beard. Oh and has much better stats.

Edited by Carman

The Wings could've had Clemmenson at the deadline for literally nothing but they didn't bite.

What makes you think that?

A team that's lucky enough to have two quality goalies does well to hang onto both in case of injury, which is obviously what happened in Jersey, and doesn't preclude if from happening again.

I like the idea of maybe bringing in someone new from a different team to maybe the team which now can only happen this coming off-season as the trade deadline has already passed. With the situation that the Wings have with goaltenders I don't know as they would do that. Conklin is a free agent after this season Ozzie still has I think about 2 or 3 more seasons left in his contract with Detroit. Next season Howard can't go back down to GR without having to go through waivers. Ozzie isn't playing well right now there's not doubt about that. I really want to wait and see what happens during the Playoffs before I'd really commit to anything. What I think will happen based on what happens in the playoffs is that the Wings will re-sign Ty Conklin since he has been the better goalteder this season. Ozzie may be moved for maybe even Clemmensen or Howard will be brought up as Conks back-up. Or Howard and Ozzie may be moved free up cap and go after a goalie a little bit better. Now I'm not saying Luongo or anything but maybe someone who is solid and can fit into the team system. I would like to see Howard play for the Wings but if he isn't ready he may be moved. It will be an interesting off-season coming up. If it were up to me I'd maybe trade Ozzie to a team and Howard to another team to maybe get a few more draft picks. Maybe even trade Ozzie and like Samuelsson to get a high draft pick seein as Detorit is going to make the playoffs and won't have a high draft pick. Not that the Wings need anyone in a hurry like the Hawks needed Kane in 07 or Stamkos in 08 but someone who we can develop. I like your idea I just don't know which road the Wings would take.