• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Jersey Wing

Is it just me or does anyone else notice...

Rate this topic

Maybe it's just me. I watch a lot of games or so my wife tells me. Over the last month or so I'm noticing a lot of pucks, more than I ever recall, hitting and getting caught up in the skates of referees and linesmen along the boards. A lot of them are happening when a defenseman is trying to reverse the flow of play in his own end and throw it back around to a winger. A few are on shoot ins and many are late in games on attempted clears or, with less than a minute to play, "just get rid of it" plays. It hasn't cost the Wings goal yet and I haven't seen it adversely affect the outcome of any game I've watched but it would seem if it IS happening it's only a matter of time before it does.

I know officials don't WANT to ever be involved in the play and do their best to contort themselves out of the way when possible, it just seems like it's happening more than I ever remember before.

Your thoughts?

Edited by Jersey Wing

Maybe it's just me. I watch a lot of games or so my wife tells me. Over the last month or so I'm noticing a lot of pucks, more than I ever recall, hitting and getting caught up in the skates of referees and linesmen along the boards. A lot of them are happening when a defenseman is trying to reverse the flow of play in his own end and throw it back around to a winger. A few are on shoot ins and many are late in games on attempted clears or, with less than a minute to play, "just get rid of it" plays. It hasn't cost the Wings goal yet and I haven't seen it adversely affect the outcome of any game I've watched but it would seem if it IS happening it's only a matter of time before it does.

I know officials don't WANT to ever be involved in the play and do their best to contort themselves out of the way when possible, it just seems like it's happening more than I ever remember before.

Your thoughts?

Bettman....i dunno, somehow its his fault...

Not much to do about it. It's not like they can start calling the play dead when the puck hits the ref. You'll have players taking legal potshots at them all night long in their own zone. :P

No I know there's nothing preemptive that can be done, it just seems like it's happening with much more regularity for some reason. Maybe they are all on a Koharski diet or something and not as fleet afoot :lol:

For some reason it seems to me like sometimes the refs try to look good while getting out of the way instead of doing anything they can to stay away from the puck/play. Obviously i don't know this for a fact, but it kinda annoys me.

It does seem like that is happening a little more frequently than what would seem like the norm, but thats hockey, nothing you can do about it. I have been reffing for the last 10 yrs now and I mean it happens when there is no chance to get out of the way, but I always try my best to anticipate the play happening and then move to an area that is open...if I turn my head to avoid getting hit I would always expect my partner to cover me if there is an infraction occuring and I don't have my eyes on it, but thats just me