• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Stu in Israel

Any hardware this year?

Rate this topic

Pavel Datsyuk and Zach Parise are running neck-and-neck for the Lady Byng Memorial Trophy. Datsyuk's +/- is higher, his penalty minutes are less, and even though Datsyuk currently has more points, Parise has scored 40 goals to Datsyuk's 25, would that tip the scales in his favor?

Norris Nick doesn't look like such a shoo-in for the James Norris Memorial Trophy this year.

San Jose's great run makes it appear that the Wings may not win the President's Trophy, but many posters consider that a "curse" anyway.

Anyone have statistics regarding the Frank J. Selke Trophy (Best Defensive Forward)?

Fedorov was the last Red Wing to win the Art Ross Trophy, in 1994, and no Red Wing has won the Hart Trophy since Gordie Howe in 1963. This last statistic might be worthwhile as it may indicate the depth of the Wings rather than one standout.

No Red Wing has won the Vezina Trophy since Terry Sawchuk in 1954-55, and the Jennings Trophy is clearly out of contention.

Will the Stanley Cup be Detroit's only chance for hardware this year?

By the way, I'm not so worried about a Detroit-San Jose series if it should come to that. Detroit won its two home games quite handily against the Sharks whereas the Sharks barely won their two home games.

Pavel Datsyuk and Zach Parise are running neck-and-neck for the Lady Byng Memorial Trophy. Datsyuk's +/- is higher, his penalty minutes are less, and even though Datsyuk currently has more points, Parise has scored 40 goals to Datsyuk's 25, would that tip the scales in his favor?

Norris Nick doesn't look like such a shoo-in for the James Norris Memorial Trophy this year.

San Jose's great run makes it appear that the Wings may not win the President's Trophy, but many posters consider that a "curse" anyway.

Anyone have statistics regarding the Frank J. Selke Trophy (Best Defensive Forward)?

Fedorov was the last Red Wing to win the Art Ross Trophy, in 1994, and no Red Wing has won the Hart Trophy since Gordie Howe in 1963. This last statistic might be worthwhile as it may indicate the depth of the Wings rather than one standout.

No Red Wing has won the Vezina Trophy since Terry Sawchuk in 1954-55, and the Jennings Trophy is clearly out of contention.

Will the Stanley Cup be Detroit's only chance for hardware this year?

By the way, I'm not so worried about a Detroit-San Jose series if it should come to that. Detroit won its two home games quite handily against the Sharks whereas the Sharks barely won their two home games.

Actually you're a bit off there...

Fedorov won the Hart Trophy in 1994, which is the trophy presented for league MVP.

You're thinking of the Art Ross that Gordie won back in 1963, which is presented to the highest point-scoring player in the league.

As for Datsyuk, the difference in goals scored between himself and Zach Parise has nothing to do with the Lady Byng trophy. The trophy is awarded to the most gentlemanly player in the NHL, and it doesn't matter who scored more goals...so I'd still pencil in Datsyuk is the favorite to win the Byng.

As for the Norris, I think Nick will still make the 3 finalists, but whether or not he wins it this year is going to be a close one. I think the finalists will come down to Chara, Lidstrom and Green. The winner is a toss up at this point.

I'd still have to put Datsyuk in as a contender for the Selke trophy again this season. Winner??? Maybe, maybe not, but he'll be right there at the end of the voting.

I am sure Pavel could care less about this, all he wants is the Stanley Cup.

Everybody has an ego and even though the Stanley Cup is the ultimate prize, I'm sure that all sportpeople relish their individual awards.

Correction (and think about the wording): I am sure that Pavel COULDN'T care less!

Of course the Stanley Cup is the only one that really matters, but I always think it's fun to see Wings players pick up individual awards.

Pavel has to get one of the Hart, Selke and Lady Byng.

I doubt he has a real shot at the Hart, but he and Parise should be the front runners for both the Selke and the Lady Byng.

Lids still has more than a decent chance of getting the Norris. The feeling is that most people really want to give it to someone else this year, but the fact is Lids is still the best overall d-man out there. Recently he's started to put some more pucks in the net and pick up some points which should help his cause. If he finishes top 3 in points among D-men I really think he SHOULD win it.

For all of you penciling Pavel Datsyuk in for the Selke...you are wrong. Think about this for a second. Most of the season, Pavel Datsyuk has centered Marian Hossa and Tomas Holmstrom (when they were healthy) on the Wings' top offensive line. In the meantime, his former linemate, and a finalist last year, Henrik Zetterberg, was centering the Wings' second most productive line, which was being used as the Wings' top shutdown line. That fact should push voters away from Datsyuk and towards Zetterberg...if they vote for a Wing at all.

As far as the Lady Byng...I still say the number one candidate should be Patrick Marleau. Parise and Datsyuk are among a slew of players deserving to be mentioned, but Marleau should win it.

For all of you penciling Pavel Datsyuk in for the Selke...you are wrong. Think about this for a second. Most of the season, Pavel Datsyuk has centered Marian Hossa and Tomas Holmstrom (when they were healthy) on the Wings' top offensive line. In the meantime, his former linemate, and a finalist last year, Henrik Zetterberg, was centering the Wings' second most productive line, which was being used as the Wings' top shutdown line. That fact should push voters away from Datsyuk and towards Zetterberg...if they vote for a Wing at all.

As far as the Lady Byng...I still say the number one candidate should be Patrick Marleau. Parise and Datsyuk are among a slew of players deserving to be mentioned, but Marleau should win it.

Do you do anything BUT bash Datsyuk?

Zetterberg has never "Shutdown" any line this season. The top matchups always went to Datsyuk and he always excelled. Perfect example was the last San Jose game. Thornton/Marleau/Setoguchi wen't scoreless and San Jose's second line, being covered by Mr. Defense(Zetterberg) scored four goals.

Zetterberg will NEVER win a Selke on this team as long as Datsyuk is here and he shouldn't for good reason. Datsyuk plays the same role, possibly better and vastly outscores Z.

Honestly, I hope Datsyuk wins a couple more Selke's just so you'll finally end the discussion.