• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
talex

Who signs 1st?

Rate this topic

Hi All,

Topic's been discused a bunch, but we are approaching the 6 weeks Holland said it would be until the next guy was signed (assumed either Hossa or Franzen). I know he also hinted that it would happen before the playoff's, but the countdown clock on this one has started...

So who will it be? How much do you predict? How long a term?

Let the party start...

You all seem to think Hossa will sign at 6.1 more or less for X number of seasons. But look at the cap. If the cap doesn't increase, the Wings have 8.6 million of space.

Subtract Hossa at 6.1 and suddenly you have 2.6 million of space left.... to sign 4 more forwards, and a back-up goalie. Meaning no more Hudler, Franzen, Sammy, Kopecky and Conklin.

So the question really becomes, what would you rather have? Hossa, or Sammy, Hudler, Kopecky and Franzen. And likely Leino will be gone too, since filling 5 positions with 3 million is more or less the minimum salary.

Unless the cap goes up a few million, or Holland moves Kronwall or Stuart, the Wings are gonna have a pretty sorry looking team compared to this year. Why not trade Kronwall or Stuart really? With Ericsson and Meech coming up, why not move an expensive D-guy, to possibly re-sign two of the UFA forwards? Holland is f***ed.

Edited by TheOwl

Guest DetroitBoy313
I don't see Franzen with the Red Wings next season.

Unfortunately I'm with you on that one.Every time he scores I just cringe! Because I don't think he's going to be here next year. Die SALARY CAP,DIE!! :battle:

Lets be honest, Lebda and Lilja have been better then Kronwall or Stuart. The Wings have a lot of potential top 6 D-guys in the system, Kindl, Ericcson, Meech perhaps. Ericcson for sure should be top 6. I would be highly enfavor of dumping both Kronwalls and Stuarts caps (he may have a NTC) giving an extra 6 million, which could easily be used to sign Franzen, Sammy and maybe Hudler. The Wings will be huge losers if they let these forwards leave through UFA. And really replacing Kronwall and Stuart with entry level deals from Ericcson and Kindl is a lot easier then getting 3-4 entry level forwards from Grand Rapids.

I can't say who will sign first, but I think both Franzen and Hossa will sign. I think Lidstrom is practically in the office with Holland on these deals. Him willing to take 2 million less then what he's making now, to keep the likes of Hossa and Franzen longer term.

I am guessing Samuelsson and or Flip may be traded for draft picks to shed salary, keeping Hudler, and promoting Leino, and Helm.

With the D, Cheli signs somewhere else, Lebda goes away or down, and Ericsson stays for good.

You all seem to think Hossa will sign at 6.1 more or less for X number of seasons. But look at the cap. If the cap doesn't increase, the Wings have 8.6 million of space.

Subtract Hossa at 6.1 and suddenly you have 2.6 million of space left.... to sign 4 more forwards, and a back-up goalie. Meaning no more Hudler, Franzen, Sammy, Kopecky and Conklin.

So the question really becomes, what would you rather have? Hossa, or Sammy, Hudler, Kopecky and Franzen. And likely Leino will be gone too, since filling 5 positions with 3 million is more or less the minimum salary.

Unless the cap goes up a few million, or Holland moves Kronwall or Stuart, the Wings are gonna have a pretty sorry looking team compared to this year. Why not trade Kronwall or Stuart really? With Ericsson and Meech coming up, why not move an expensive D-guy, to possibly re-sign two of the UFA forwards? Holland is f***ed.

Because the last thing this team needs is more expensive forwards and less defense. Plus, Meech is next to worthless. Stuart has a NTC and won't be moved for organizational loyalty reasons. Kronwall is a great deal at $3million when he's going to put up more than 50 pts.

If it comes down to Huder or Filppula, I'm betting they trade Filppula if they can't keep both. Hudler has more upside and provides scoring talent that the Wings don't have tons of in the minors (they do have tons of two way forwards with a touch of offensive flair).

There's no way in hell I'd want Franzen AND Hossa on the team unless someone from the forward corps is being jettisoned to make way for Franzen's cap hit. That's Cleary or Holmstrom. Holmstrom is here until retirement and Cleary's got that organizational loyalty bag. Maybe Cleary would accept a trade to Toronto or Montreal to come home to Canada and be closer to NFLD. Of course Cleary's got a $2.85 million hit, and Franzen will be demanding at least $4 million. That's a tough gap to bridge.

Sammy likely has to be replaced by a minimum salary rookie. Kopecky is still nearly valueless in terms of his financial bargaining power unless he pulls a Franzen between now and July.

Conklin is going to be gone regardless, because Howard is out of minor league options and we all know that the Wings don't like to give up assets without a fight.

I trust that holland will find a way to make the puzzle fit AND make sense for the Wings. I just hope that Hossa is included in those plans, if however he is not a Wing for life...well I will wish him well.

Guest MrSandMan

Who do I *hope* signs with the Wings? Hossa.

Who do I think signs with the Wings? Franzen.

I honestly don't think Holland signs Hossa for obvious reasons which have already been pointed out in this thread.

Unfortunately, in the cap world, Wings can't have a super-star team. Hossa will be gone before next season.

Edited by MrSandMan

Who do I think *will* sign with the Wings? Franzen.

I honestly don't think Holland signs Hossa for obvious reasons which have already been pointed out in this thread.

Unfortunately, in the cap world, Wings can't have a super-star team. Hossa will be gone before next season.

That second sentence I believe is emphasizing the wrong word. I think:

Who do I *think* signs with the Wings? Franzen.

Would have been more comparable to the first sentence, which I think you were going for...

Sorry, that was bugging me. :(

SIGN 'EM BOTH KENNY! YOU GOT THE CHARM! MAKE IT HAPPEN!

(Oh. Hossa first please.)

Edited by steveyzerman

Because the last thing this team needs is more expensive forwards and less defense. Plus, Meech is next to worthless. Stuart has a NTC and won't be moved for organizational loyalty reasons. Kronwall is a great deal at $3million when he's going to put up more than 50 pts.

If it comes down to Huder or Filppula, I'm betting they trade Filppula if they can't keep both. Hudler has more upside and provides scoring talent that the Wings don't have tons of in the minors (they do have tons of two way forwards with a touch of offensive flair).

There's no way in hell I'd want Franzen AND Hossa on the team unless someone from the forward corps is being jettisoned to make way for Franzen's cap hit. That's Cleary or Holmstrom. Holmstrom is here until retirement and Cleary's got that organizational loyalty bag. Maybe Cleary would accept a trade to Toronto or Montreal to come home to Canada and be closer to NFLD. Of course Cleary's got a $2.85 million hit, and Franzen will be demanding at least $4 million. That's a tough gap to bridge.

Sammy likely has to be replaced by a minimum salary rookie. Kopecky is still nearly valueless in terms of his financial bargaining power unless he pulls a Franzen between now and July.

Conklin is going to be gone regardless, because Howard is out of minor league options and we all know that the Wings don't like to give up assets without a fight.

I agree, in fact I hope they trade Flip - he would fetch quite a bit, and give Holland (depending on the intricacies of the deal) some breathing room.

Other then that I pray every night we resign Hossa asap -- I don't care if Franzen stays or goes, actually I agree that I don't want both on the team without a semi major move being made within our forward corps (see Fillipula).

Conklin may be gone, but I think the Wings should start thinking of chalking Howard up as a loss and letting him go. There is a reason he has been in GR each year since being dubbed "the next Wings franchise goalie" its because he is streaky at best, and below par (in regards to NHL standards) at worst.

Hopefully McCullom (who is now the next heir to the franchise goaltender in Detroit throne) gets to GR next year and shines. Until then, the goalie situation is up in the air somewhat.

Trade Kronner too -- I like him, but he is more then expendable.

I could easily see him waiving it for LA or Anaheim.

Anaheim is committed financially to Whitney-Pronger for next season, and possibly Neidermayer if he re-signs. LA's defence is fine without Stuart's contract.

If there's anyone expendable on this D, it's Lebda/Meech/Chelios, and none of those guys really make enough money to afford Hossa.

My prediction is Hudler taking $7 million for three years.

EDIT: Double post

Edited by eva unit zero

The Wings are looking at two likely paths. Either an acceptable deal for Stuart is found, or Filppula and Lebda (together or separately) are moved with no roster players returning in either scenario. If Flip and Lebda are both dealt, Meech ends up serving double duty as the spare on a 21-man roster. If Stuart is dealt, the Wings carry 22. Franzen and Conklin are gone either way.

EDIT: The rosters the Wings will be carrying are the following:

If Stuart is traded:

Zetterberg/Datsyuk/Holmstrom

Hudler/Kopecky/Hossa

Leino/Filppula/Samuelsson

Cleary/Draper/Helm

Maltby

Lidstrom/Rafalski

Kronwall/Ericsson

Meech/Lilja

Lebda

Osgood

Howard

If Flip and Lebs are traded:

Holmstrom/Datsyuk/Hossa

Hudler/Zetterberg/Kopecky

Cleary/Leino/Samuelsson

Maltby/Draper/Helm

Meech

Lidstrom/Rafalski

Kronwall/Stuart

Ericsson/Lilja

Meech

Osgood

Howard

Pick your preference. I would prefer to trade Stuart.

Edited by eva unit zero

Who do I think signs with the Wings? Franzen.

I agree here. I want and hope the Wings sign Hossa before Franzen, but I don't think it will happen.

And sorry to burst everyone's bubble, but the Wings are never going to trade Flip just to keep Hudler or Franzen unless they're both willing to take significantly less money. Better go to sleep because it's only going to happen in your dreams.

Edited by Z and D for the C