• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Blueliner

Fate of the Joe

Rate this topic

I'm not sure the economy is that bad that a major successful sports team couldn't get a loan, but I could be wrong. The deadline extension seems to be the most logical choice, as that's what always happens. In a situation like this no one wants to rush things so we'll have to wait even longer for a decision.

i vote new arena. and lets kill a few birds with one stone here..

1. build it in a location currently inhabited by something run down. replace it with a brand new, pretty arena.

2. create tons of jobs in its construction

3. let cobo expand into the joe like they have been wanting (if they still can afford this)

4. more seats, tickets, etc

its to the City's detriment if Ilitch remains in the Joe. the current lease heavily favors the franchise. The only sad part is that Ilitch needs public money to build a new arena (ala Comerica Park). times are kinda tough lately, but hey.. there can't possibly be that many other good investments in the D.

I will personally donate money to build a new arena. The Joe is a great place to watch hockey, but it is past its prime. The new modern arenas are nicer and full of cool amenities. A new arena would definitely attract more people to Wings games, at least initially. Wouldn't the economic downturn be the best time to build, if you can secure financing, because everything would be cheaper? Makes sense to me. I've had some great times at the Joe, times that I will never forget, but it is time for Steve Yzerman Arena to be built.

Add more seats? They can't even sell out the ones they already have because the economy is so crappy.

From what is reported lately, they have been selling out, but for some reason or another, the butts never get in the seats.

From what is reported lately, they have been selling out, but for some reason or another, the butts never get in the seats.

Most of the empty seats are sold, but are not filled because sometimes people cannot make it down for games and sometimes they cannot find anyone to use the tickets. s*** happens.

I will personally donate money to build a new arena. The Joe is a great place to watch hockey, but it is past its prime. The new modern arenas are nicer and full of cool amenities. A new arena would definitely attract more people to Wings games, at least initially. Wouldn't the economic downturn be the best time to build, if you can secure financing, because everything would be cheaper? Makes sense to me. I've had some great times at the Joe, times that I will never forget, but it is time for Steve Yzerman Arena to be built.

I would love to have a Detroit Red Wings bond in my portfolio, as long as the payments are tickets and intimate dinners with players.

I dunno. If the Wings went to build a new arena, Monica Conyers (or Trailer Trash Monica as I like to call her) would probably torpedo it unless all the workers building it "looked like her" and the city got five voting reps in the Wings' front office. *****.

Anyway, the team does not need a new arena but the city does. Badly. I would like to see Cobo expanded into the space the Joe currently sits on because with a highway, gated condos, the river, and Cobo bordering that plot of land, it's 100% useless for anything else. That's if anyone in this area can agree on how to do it. Ilitch owns a ton of land behind the Fox and that'd make a perfect spot for a new arena. The city doesn't really have a great deal on the Joe and they could probably get a better one with a new arena. Construction jobs, etc. Use some land that's currently not particularly habitable at night for something good. And expand Cobo to a size worthy of a major city's convention center. Win all around, as long as you keep City Council out of the picture.

I think the story's author seriously is discounting the extent of the "sweetheart" deal the Ilitch family has with the Joe. Their annual lease for the building (lock, stock-n-barrel for all events, plus parking) IIRC is $300K a year. The city of Detroit would have to charge a heck of a lot for "police and landscaping" and jack the taxes WAY up in order to make up what a new stadium lease payment would likely be. The current deal is recognized as probably the richest deal a pro team has in American pro sports.

Edited by Gizmo

what about the giant empty lots used as parking right now at the intersection of woodward and the fisher freeway?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source...917040358744395

i'd like to really see the downtown area of detroit expanded; instead of keep building up the current downtown and leaving the rest of the city's land to its devices, why not branch out?

now their taking care of tiger stadium, is the joe gonna be the same way? either way build a new arena b/c the joe is getting pretty bad, i just hope they will put the joe to use and not just let it sit there for almost 10 years

I'd be curious to find out your opinions.

If they would build a new arena would it be possible to have the ice surface olympic size?

is this even allowed in the NHL bylaws?

I think it would benefit the skating and puck possesion , skill - style of the red wings not to mention it would be a real home ice advantage if we would build the team around fast , skating players, even more so than we have now. It would be unique amongst the NHL rinks and prove to be a real home advantage IMO.

not sure if this is even allowed but think of the old barns like the Gardens (TO, Bos) and Chicago stadium. (I know, different dimensions than talked about here). I also understand some of the advantage was the closeness of the fans and how loud the arenas could be.

some of the clutch grab teams like Calgary or Anaheim would really struggle on such a surface - again for a team like Detroit it would be a real advantage.

I like the wider surface so I suppose I'm biased and would like to have seen many of the new areas buit this way and understand that in multi-use facilities basketball is a consideration but I don't even think that'd be one here. I also think it's unfortunate that the coming Olympics are going to be played on NHL size ice, this was one of the real differences between the 2 types of hockey.

any thoughts?

I'd be curious to find out your opinions.

If they would build a new arena would it be possible to have the ice surface olympic size?

is this even allowed in the NHL bylaws?

I think it would benefit the skating and puck possesion , skill - style of the red wings not to mention it would be a real home ice advantage if we would build the team around fast , skating players, even more so than we have now. It would be unique amongst the NHL rinks and prove to be a real home advantage IMO.

not sure if this is even allowed but think of the old barns like the Gardens (TO, Bos) and Chicago stadium. (I know, different dimensions than talked about here). I also understand some of the advantage was the closeness of the fans and how loud the arenas could be.

some of the clutch grab teams like Calgary or Anaheim would really struggle on such a surface - again for a team like Detroit it would be a real advantage.

I like the wider surface so I suppose I'm biased and would like to have seen many of the new areas buit this way and understand that in multi-use facilities basketball is a consideration but I don't even think that'd be one here. I also think it's unfortunate that the coming Olympics are going to be played on NHL size ice, this was one of the real differences between the 2 types of hockey.

any thoughts?

All NHL ice surfaces need to be a standard size, I believe it's 200' by 85' or something like that.

All NHL ice surfaces need to be a standard size, I believe it's 200' by 85' or something like that.

that's too bad IMO. If the Wings could have an ice surface wider would people think this could be a good thing in terms of uniquneness and home ice advantage?

that's too bad IMO. If the Wings could have an ice surface wider would people think this could be a good thing in terms of uniquneness and home ice advantage?

Certainly, just like the old Aud in Buffalo had a smaller surface, and so did the Chicago Stadium.

Maple Leaf Gardens was the standard 200x85, though. It had the upper end zones that basically hung over the ice, and the seating right behind the Leafs bench had to be accessed by going through the Leafs bench. I had those seats a couple times, it was awesome.

it is time for Steve Yzerman Arena to be built.

The downside is that whoever finances it will get to name it. In today's modern world, look out for the AIG Financial Center or Little Caesar's Palace or Comerica Park....woops, too late for that one.

It's obvious we need a new arena but I can't say I'm in full support. It will undoubtedly be a cold, multi-level arena where only the richest people will actually be able to see the game. I'd also like to see it called the Yzerman Arena, or hell, even if they name it after Illitch. Just please not a generic company name.

what about the giant empty lots used as parking right now at the intersection of woodward and the fisher freeway?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source...917040358744395

i'd like to really see the downtown area of detroit expanded; instead of keep building up the current downtown and leaving the rest of the city's land to its devices, why not branch out?

I think that's where they plan on building it, if they do. At least, that was the rumor a year or two ago.

It's obvious we need a new arena but I can't say I'm in full support. It will undoubtedly be a cold, multi-level arena where only the richest people will actually be able to see the game.

Yeah, all the new arenas or stadiums that are built have horrible seating unless your are rich. :rolleyes:

If the focus is on a new/modern arena, then definitely a new arena is needed.

I've been fortuante to go to JLA before, and like it's simplicity. I went to a few games in Reunion Arena where the Dallas Stars used to play when I lived in the Dallas-Fort Worth area for a few years. Similar arenas to where it is a basic bowl shape with 2-levels and 1 concourse. Only one level for bathrooms and food is obviously an inconveinece but both these arenas could get loud and entertaining quick due to the arenas being compact.

I'm not hard to please. Just give me a playing surface to watch a game on, A/C that works, and a place to go to the bathroom in, and I am happy. Doesn't matter how modern or old the building might be.

There are so many things that I hate about the Joe right now: first of all the seats are uncomfortable and cramped, so when I sit down, my knees are usually wrapped around the guy's face in front of me. That's even more awkward when its a woman. There's no place to put my food or drink should I want to watch the game live and eat at the same time. There's no place for me to put my food or drink should I want to watch the game on a 30" tv in the corner of a concession stand (unless you're fond of garbage can lids). The bathrooms are too few and far in between and I don't like the looks I get for my inferiority when I'm pissing in ye olde public pig trough. I also don't like the looks I get when when the poor guy next to me is having trouble getting that last drop out. There aren't enough suites for the corporate ticket-grabbers who prevent real fans from buying lower bowl. And these are just basics. I think it would be nice to see some in-arena restaurants or bars or something where the everyday working-class guy can go and feel like he's in a suite, with a big screen right there so you can keep tabs on the game, of course.

Illitch will probably end up delaying what happens for another couple years though. The rough economy really complicates things.