Got one even better wink.gif ------->

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#42 Electrophile

Electrophile

Ipsa scientia potestas est.

• Silver Booster
  • 9,390 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 03:44 PM

If not Detroit Stadium, why not Red Wings Stadium? It would be a shame if they get a nice new place and some corporation smears its logo feces all over it.

Edited by Electrophile, 25 March 2009 - 03:46 PM.

electrophilewingsfloyd.jpg

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect, but *actually* from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint - it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly... time-y wimey... stuff."  -- The Doctor

#43 SvobodaIT

SvobodaIT

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 11:50 AM

QUOTE (Electrophile @ March 25, 2009 - 03:44PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If not Detroit Stadium, why not Red Wings Stadium? It would be a shame if they get a nice new place and some corporation smears its logo feces all over it.

How about the Obamarena?

#44 HankZetty

HankZetty

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 11:58 AM

QUOTE (F.Michael @ March 25, 2009 - 04:39PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Got one even better wink.gif ------->

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!! Now thanks to you that song is going to be stuck in my head the rest of the day! scared.gif

#45 maltbymaniac

maltbymaniac

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,648 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 12:11 PM

PLEASE,build us a new arena.the joe is great in all but we need a new fancy arena to play iin.

sig by saran,Thanks

#46 RedWingsFan4Life

RedWingsFan4Life

Why Jebus? Why?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,132 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 12:29 PM

Play the games at Comerica during the cold months and move over to Ford Field for the rest of the season Problem solved.

Ok I'm kidding about that but, the way the city is moving on passing the Cobo expansion I just don't see them willing the spend the money on the Wings getting a new arena. I'm not sure Illitch will be willing to pony up that much money without some incentive. Plus in his Cobo contract I believe he gets alot of city expenses paid for such as cops at the game. I hold out hope for a new arena but, it just seemed to hit at a bad time for his contract to be up. 5 years ago I would of said no doubt he would be getting help from the city and be building a new arena.

The only way I see it happening is if they move their asses on the cobo expansion and decide they need to take over the Joe then I believe the city would end up funding an arena.

19 we'll all miss you....

#47 sherwood40

sherwood40

Rookie

• Pip
  • 174 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 12:48 PM

Ilitch is a very smart man, he bought property behind fox theatre and hockeytown cafe', very smart idea to put a new stadium behind there, put all his places together to gather more revenue from all the sports fans. I see a new stadium for the 2011 season.

#48 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,337 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 01:03 PM

QUOTE (sherwood40 @ June 2, 2009 - 12:48PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ilitch is a very smart man, he bought property behind fox theatre and hockeytown cafe', very smart idea to put a new stadium behind there, put all his places together to gather more revenue from all the sports fans. I see a new stadium for the 2011 season.

I agree that Ilitch is 1 smart fella, but he's gonna need alot of taxpayer $$$ to help pay for a new arena...Now with GM announcing bankruptcy I have my doubts that the city of Detroit, nor Wayne County, nor the state of Michigan will divert $$$ to help out Ilitch.

Seems to me a likely case is for Ilitch to spend his own $$$ to renovate the Joe, and then spend another 20 years there (mind you this is not such a bad deal for him since he'll stick make loads of $$$, get many services provided for at the city's expense, and cont to get a very cheap lease), or work-out a new deal with the city for an extension which would allow a new arena to be built several years from now, and play in the Joe during this time frame.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#49 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,641 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 01:09 PM

Speaking from someone who has seen an NHL game in places like Dallas, Columbus, and Chicago, I can tell you that Joe Louis is past its prime. Sure, its awesome to see a game in, but the arena sucks. Its the only sporting arena I can go to and have the privilege of waiting in line 15 minutes to use the restroom. Women have it much worse off. The American Airlines Center in Dallas is beautiful. Every seat has a good view, plenty of bathrooms, and there are many little shops and bars on each level.

Does the arena factor into my decision to buy tickets there? It does in a way. I live in Grand Rapids which puts me 3 hours away from Detroit and 3.5 hours from Chicago. If given the opportunity to see a game, I would rather travel to Chicago and see a game because the arena isn't run down and the tickets were always plentiful and cheaper. I will have some decisions to make next season when Chicago sells more tickets.

If Chicago wasn't a factor, I have an HDTV at home and part of me would rather stay at home and watch the game on that than travel to Detroit to see a game. If the arena was nicer, I would make more trips thats for sure.
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#50 KillrBuckeye

KillrBuckeye

Draftee

• 12 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 01:22 PM

A new arena is sorely needed. Nightfall is right about the restroom situation. My wife was pregnant for most of this winter, and the long wait for the restrooms was the main reason that we decided not to go to a game this year (for those who aren't aware, pregnant women need to go A LOT and can't wait long). I think it's pretty sad when the restrooms become an important factor to consider when deciding whether or not to purchase tickets.

Also, I'm sure most of you have noticed that at the start of the 2nd and 3rd periods, about a quarter to half of the seats in the arena are empty, even during these SCF games. The reason is that the people can't even go to the restroom and get back to their seats before the intermission is over. Heck, even if you leave two minutes before the period ends, you'll be very lucky to make it back by the start of the next period. And God forbid if you want to use the restroom AND buy a beer. You'll be lucky to get back to your seat before the first commercial break of the period.

#51 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 01:43 PM

I love the history, but I'm sorry, it's a joke that we have the best franchise in all of sports and such a dilapidated and run down arena... it's time to put the Joe to rest...

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#52 brownie

brownie

Draftee

• 11 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 01:50 PM

I know this isn't the best part of the city but why not build the new rink, right at Michigan & Trumbull? From my memory there was a few empty lots in the area.

#53 Michgal89

Michgal89

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 716 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 01:57 PM

When they do build a new arena, I hope they make it kind of like the Van Andel in Grand Rapids. I've been there to see a concert and to see the Griffins, both times were great. No obstructions at all!
I also hope they don't give it a dumb corporate name, it would almost be like a slap in the face to an economically depressed region like Detroit.
The cup presides within our town, we won't stop, no letting down...
Don't stop Believing! LET'S GO WINGS!!!

#54 Jwo

Jwo

Let's go Red Wings!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,661 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 01:58 PM

Nevermind saw the date.

Edited by Jwo, 02 June 2009 - 02:00 PM.

FireCaptain - "THIS ISN'T DATELINE, BUT WE'RE HERE TO STOP A PREDATOR."
Du, du, du, du, du, du, du, du, du, du, du, du,
When I see you Red Wings,
I go out of my head,
I just can't get enough,
I just can't get enough,
All the things you do to me and all the things you said,
I just can't get enough.
I just can't get enough
We slip and slide and we fall in love and I just can't seem to get enough of...
Du, du, du, du, du, du, du, du, du, du, du, du

#55 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 01:58 PM

If there is a new arena, it'll likely be on the land illich already owns. The decision is revamp or replace.... not necessarily where.

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#56 TheUkrainian

TheUkrainian

The Ukrainian One

• PipPip
  • 453 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 02:12 PM

I don't really have anything agianst the Joe as it is, other than the cramped seats. Can't really comment on the bathrooms, as I've never used them yet. A new arena would be nice though, but I also think that they shouldn't "sell" it's name. As long as it's near the people mover, I really don't mind where they put it. Free Parking + 1$ round trip on people mover = win.
Wish List: Stanley Cup!
100% pure Ukranian

#57 BlakChamber

BlakChamber

Don't Mess With...

• Gold Booster
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 02:14 PM

QUOTE (Michgal89 @ June 2, 2009 - 12:57PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I also hope they don't give it a dumb corporate name, it would almost be like a slap in the face to an economically depressed region like Detroit.

That's a good point. It would be a real slap in the face to Detroit by having a company spend tens of millions of dollars on another company that is based in Detroit. What an insult!

The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

#58 Stiffy

Stiffy

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 04:47 PM

QUOTE (TheCaptain19 @ March 23, 2009 - 06:51PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i vote new arena. and lets kill a few birds with one stone here..

1. build it in a location currently inhabited by something run down. replace it with a brand new, pretty arena.
2. create tons of jobs in its construction
3. let cobo expand into the joe like they have been wanting (if they still can afford this)
4. more seats, tickets, etc

Hmmmm... everything except 3 in my book. Every great city plan uses the water front for people and parks. Having a hockey area or convention center on the water (let alone the Ren Cen) is just a killer. Honestly, Chicago is a great example. The ENTIRE lakefront is public and it makes the city a great place.

#59 BlakChamber

BlakChamber

Don't Mess With...

• Gold Booster
  • 4,189 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 05:43 PM

QUOTE (Stiffy @ June 2, 2009 - 03:47PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hmmmm... everything except 3 in my book. Every great city plan uses the water front for people and parks. Having a hockey area or convention center on the water (let alone the Ren Cen) is just a killer. Honestly, Chicago is a great example. The ENTIRE lakefront is public and it makes the city a great place.

Cobo and the Detroit Auto Show really need the space.

The demon code prevents me from declining a rock-off challenge.

#60 cirov19

cirov19

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,683 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 08:54 PM

QUOTE (TheCaptain19 @ March 23, 2009 - 06:51PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i vote new arena. and lets kill a few birds with one stone here..

1. build it in a location currently inhabited by something run down. replace it with a brand new, pretty arena.
2. create tons of jobs in its construction
3. let cobo expand into the joe like they have been wanting (if they still can afford this)
4. more seats, tickets, etc

We need a new arena, with properly measured steps because I trip going up the stairs at the Joe way too much.

Now, for your first point, what about the Tiger stadium location, or the old train station? Or would we prefer an arena closer to the heart of Detroit? Personally, I like being able to walk from bars downtown to the game.

Edited by cirov19, 02 June 2009 - 08:55 PM.