• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Gnredwing

McCarty

Rate this topic

As I see it this will probably be McCartys last year on the Wings. I am very hopeful he will play in the playoffs as he did last year. But it seems there are better players that the Wings could call up instead of Mac (Leino, Helm)

McCarty has always been my favorite Red Wing and I would love to see him play again this spring, anyone think he will be in the lineup for some games this playoff year, or have we seen the end of Mac in a Wings sweater?

I adore Mac with every fibre of my being (in a Manly Hockey sort of way), but to be brutally honest, I think they'll give the nod to Leino, Helm, or possibly even Kader over Mac.

I wish him the best, but no, barring injuries, I don't think we'll be seeing him. The playoffs is when you have to ice your best team night in and night out. There's no room for nostalgia or matters of the heart when the Cup is at stake.

Believe me, I'd love to be wrong.

As I see it this will probably be McCartys last year on the Wings. I am very hopeful he will play in the playoffs as he did last year. But it seems there are better players that the Wings could call up instead of Mac (Leino, Helm)

McCarty has always been my favorite Red Wing and I would love to see him play again this spring, anyone think he will be in the lineup for some games this playoff year, or have we seen the end of Mac in a Wings sweater?

No and Yes.

Love Mac, but its over.

Guest Shoreline

Yep, Mac is always a Wing in my eyes but we have so much better talent on our Wings and even the Griffins than he can produce.

Edited by Shoreline

Guest CaliWingsNut

Who knows... with this cap, he may make it next year. He's cheap, and he's doing well in the AHL. Yes several others will get the nod first, I just think he maybe lucky with this market and the fact he's already on the team.

redwingspic.jpg

Is it weird that I don't think our team needs an enforcer to win but I want to see Downey dress in the playoffs?

Not in the least. It just proves you are a fine man (or person as the case may be) with great taste.

Thanks for the pic. I just snarked if for my collection. Hope you don't mind.

I love McCarty, the fan would me would thoroughly enjoy if he's able to contribute in the playoffs given where he was and how he has turned himself around. Even when some forwards were injured off/on recently, he was nowhere to be found in the depth chart of forwards. Helm, Leino, even utility-man Meech probably are one-upping him on the depth chart. If there is a scenario that is urgently needed to keep the flies off, he might play, but given how that mentality usually is not as apparent in the playoffs, it's slim-none that he's playing I think unless injuries hit the roster.

Chelios has been amazing in every game hes played lately. I dont get the hate.

I don't get when someone says something against a player it's called "hate". I'm a big Chelios fan, but the playoffs are a grind. Chelios didn't play a game in the Finals last year, and I'm ok, due to his age, if he only plays in the playoffs due to an injury or someone else not playing up to par. Lidstrom, Rafalski, Kronwall, Stuart, Lebda, and Ericsson should be the starting 6.

who knows if hes gonna play, my opinion is that either him or downey should just because i think they'd need an enforcer. i know people say all the time that they dont need an enforcer but just look at our team if someone is gonna try and take a shot at hossa, hank, datsyuk are we gonna have no one try and make sure it doesnt happen again? yes lilja will hopefully be back but isnt he gonna be a little careful since he just got a concusion. yes downey and mccarty dont do much when it comes to scoring goals but their never afraid to drop the gloves when they need to.

Whats the next step for Mac after the playoffs? Does Detroit have to offer him a 1 way deal and thats strickly minors ? or do the Griffins deal with him directly? I know hes done in the NHL but hes quoted as saying that hell stay in the Griffins system to mentor soon to be wings

I predict Mac will be in the NHL next year, but not a Winged Wheel. We have too many good young players who need to be in Detroit next year, not Grand Rapids. The only way he stays is if we trade enough mid-tier players to free the cap space to sign Franzen and Hossa and there's room for both him and the youngsters to fill out the roster cheaply. Other then that, he is good enough to play in the NHL, but doesn't crack our roster anymore.

I think the whole "enforcer" thing is overrated. Our players are hockey players, none of them are sissies. They were a lot more physical in the playoffs last year then anyone gave them credit for going into it and it'll be the same this year. Playing different teams every night is just a different thing then playing a best of seven war with one where you can do like the Flames did a few years ago and give up a bunch of goals at the end of a game and absorb a hundred penalty minutes running our goalie and fighting everyone on the ice to intimidate for the rest of the series. Babcock has toughened the team, but fighting through 82 is stupid, not soft.

Whats the next step for Mac after the playoffs? Does Detroit have to offer him a 1 way deal and thats strickly minors ? or do the Griffins deal with him directly? I know hes done in the NHL but hes quoted as saying that hell stay in the Griffins system to mentor soon to be wings

I thought Mac did a good job on radio those few games when Ken Kal was sick. I'd like to see/hear McCarty in the broadcast booth someday soon.

Then why Ozzie....

I adore Mac with every fibre of my being (in a Manly Hockey sort of way), but to be brutally honest, I think they'll give the nod to Leino, Helm, or possibly even Kader over Mac.

I wish him the best, but no, barring injuries, I don't think we'll be seeing him. The playoffs is when you have to ice your best team night in and night out. There's no room for nostalgia or matters of the heart when the Cup is at stake.

Believe me, I'd love to be wrong.

I predict Mac will be in the NHL next year, but not a Winged Wheel. We have too many good young players who need to be in Detroit next year, not Grand Rapids. The only way he stays is if we trade enough mid-tier players to free the cap space to sign Franzen and Hossa and there's room for both him and the youngsters to fill out the roster cheaply. Other then that, he is good enough to play in the NHL, but doesn't crack our roster anymore.

How many times has he cleared waivers this year...with no bites...and making just about the league minimum in salary? He'll be even a year older next year. Which NHL team do you predict?

I'd love to continue to see him as a player/coach in Grand Rapids. Sounds like he had a ball the other day at ChuckECheese in Wilkes-Barre-Scranton with the GR boys.

:thumbup::thumbup: