- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#42 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 02:41 PM

From Toronto Star :

If and when Gary Bettman and his boys pull the plug on NHLers as Olympians and the guess here is that he and they will the main factor will be easy to identify: Going to Russia is simply bad business for a league that needs all the good business it can get.

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

#43 mjlegend

mjlegend

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 04:02 PM

In a related note, can you imagine David Stern talking to a media conference and using the tone that Bettman did? Roger Goodell? Even Bud Selig woulnd't be a pretentious jackass.

I can see the Sochi games being a complete flop on the men's hockey front if every team is filled with 23 Todd Hlushkos. Absolutely no one new will watch the NHL if that's what they see.

#44 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 07:31 PM

Posted Image

#45 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 29 August 2010 - 11:49 PM

Todd Hlushko: 8 goals, 21 points and 84 PIMs in 79 career games and 3 career playoff games with no points and 2 PIMs in two appearances over six seasons (1993-94 to 1998-99), the last of which he had no regular season games played but played two playoff games. His best season was 1996-97, when he scored 7 goals and 18 points in 58 games for the Flames.

Hlushko was a decent grinder and defensive player with moderate offensive ability. Not terribly far in effectiveness from Patrick Eaves or Drew Miller, simply less opportunity. After leaving the NHL, he was consistently among the best players in a German Elite League which included players like Alexander Selivanov, Yves Racine, Darryl Shannon, Gilbert Dionne, Michel Picard, Corey Millen, and Christian Ehrhoff.

Realistically, one question, though. I am a fan of sending NHL players to the Olympics. But as far as the "grow the fan base" line, how exactly do NHL players in the Olympics serve that purpose for the NHL? Perhaps more international fans and potentially a future International League, but what does it do to grow fanbases in the US and Canada? Nuttin, that's what. Bob Jones who lives on Hill Street and isn't a hockey fan won't be any more of a hockey fan after the Olympics if NHL players go than if they don't go. He'll either watch hockey and like it, watch hockey and not like it, or not watch hockey at all. None of that is reliant on NHL players being in the Olympics. However, NHL players want to go, and fans worldwide want them to go. So what needs to happen is the IIHF needs to help the NHL and KHL work out some sort of transfer deal. Once a transfer deal is in place, the NHL will be more than happy to allow players to go to the Olympics.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#46 MulesWillFly93

MulesWillFly93

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 729 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 01:50 AM

1. I think it's crappy not to let Russian players play in their home country when they might not get another chance.
2. There is probably less chance of them getting injured at the Olympics that there is at an NHL game.
3. I think this is basically all about NHL rinks sitting empty and not making any money, end of story.

As for the exposure issue, I agree that these Olympics will probably bring less exposure than Vancouver's, but I still think the Olympics creates a certain amount of at least a temporary awareness of any sport. I also think that if they want the people who did watch hockey for the first time and liked what they saw to transition over to the NHL, it would behoove the NHL to have their players there to give these people a preview of what they're going to see. So when somebody watches and thinks, "I wonder who that Russian guy is who fakes out the defense with those crazy cool moves," he can look up #13 and find out that it's Pavel Datsyuk, who plays for the Detroit Red Wings, and gee, maybe he should start watching the Wings after this thing is over! Much better than finding out it's some random college kid from Minnesota whom you'll probably never hear from again.

Also, from a fan perspective, I hear a lot of people say this should be the time for amateur players to shine, but...I don't know. I like seeing my favorite players change it up and play with different people (even if it doesn't exactly pan out...it was still cool seeing Datsyuk play with Ovi, for instance), and it's better than the All-Star game because it's an actual tournament, and they're playing for national pride. It's like the soccer World Cup - they've got to have SOMETHING that's special to everybody and is a place where the players can play for their countries, and since the World Championships are every year and kinda lame, it's got to be the Olympics.

The only thing I will say is that it does kind of break a team's momentum. Well, except it helped ours this year, but that's because we got so many players back from injuries right after that. In general, though, I can see how a team not practicing or playing together for a couple of weeks could mess up your rhythm. I think it's worth it, though, and I'd feel really bad if all the Russian guys didn't get a chance to play. It's only once every 4 years, after all.

Edited by MulesWillFly93, 30 August 2010 - 01:59 AM.

Nobody lives forever.
Some things never die.
Like up in the land of ice and snow,
They tell me that a Red Wing always flies.
RIP Ruslan Salei - Brad McCrimmon - Stefan Liv - Lokomotiv Yaroslavl
(Orig. lyrics - Ray Wylie Hubbard, "Airplane Fell Down in Dixie")

#47 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 07:20 AM

Team Russia has never experienced the pressure to win they will face in 2014.

#48 Original-Six

Original-Six

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 08:53 AM

Realistically, one question, though. I am a fan of sending NHL players to the Olympics. But as far as the "grow the fan base" line, how exactly do NHL players in the Olympics serve that purpose for the NHL? Perhaps more international fans and potentially a future International League, but what does it do to grow fanbases in the US and Canada? Nuttin, that's what.

Are you kidding? How can having your nation play in the gold medal game not raise awareness/attract new fans. Look what Phelps did for Swimming. The dream team for the NBA and US softball teams did to increase interest in their sport by competing at the Olympics. Now im obviously not expecting Team USA to dominate in the same fashion but to say having them compete in the Olympics would do noting to grow the fanbase is nonsense.

Edited by Original-Six, 30 August 2010 - 03:41 PM.

#49 CrabCZ

CrabCZ

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 55 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 11:28 AM

It'd be pretty embarasing for Bettman and NHL if some star players just left their teams during season.

#50 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 30 August 2010 - 09:39 PM

Are you kidding? How can having your nation play in the gold medal game

And this is caused by NHL players playing in the Olympics, and not simply by Team USA and Team Canada doing well, respectively? Having NHL players on the rosters, or not having NHL players does WHAT to grow fanbases? Nothing, as I said.

#51 howeaboutthat

howeaboutthat

Prospect

• 41 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 09:44 AM

I don't think TV ratings will be that high, however, since the games are being played on a different continent with incovenient times for the games.

I'd like to see NHL players there, but don't expect a repeat of exposure that these past Olympics got in the US.

But its not just about TV ratings in NA. The NHL has quite a large following across the globe, especially in Europe, and if Bettman wants to give the league even more exposure then he needs to allow its best players to compete in the Olympics.

The BBC coverage of the Olympic ice hockey was fantastic this year, decent commentators were employed rather than the "its a minority sport, get someone cheap and clueless" as has happened before with the BBC and it was well reported in the press. One thing very evident during the games though was the regular referring to the NHL team various players played for and their accomplishments in the NHL as well as wider hockey tournaments.

This kind of exposure on the UKs national, ad-free, media broadcaster is superb. Within the UK ice hockey coverage is generally restricted to ESPN subscribers for NHL or Sky TV for our own domestic hockey league (the EIHL).

The acid test though was the amount of people who I work with who, knowing that I'm a hockey nut, commented on how much they enjoyed watching the Olympic hockey and although they'd never thought of watching it before were getting a subscription to ESPN so that they could continue to watch the some of the best players in the world in the best league.

#52 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,983 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 11:15 AM

It was awesome to watch the NHLer's play in the Olympics. I wouldn't watch the Russian tournament without them. But how can you argue with the league about it's stance. They are all multi millionaires meaning they are probably pretty good at reading cost/benefit ratio statements. If it doesn't pencil out to shut the league down and send it's players to Russia, then it doesn't pencil out. Too bad, so sad, but why would you expect them to do it?

ALL the non hockey fans that talked to me about the Vancouver Games said, "Wow, that Sidney Crosby sure is great". :wacko:

Edited by T.Low, 01 September 2010 - 11:16 AM.

#53 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 09:46 PM

ALL the non hockey fans that talked to me about the Vancouver Games said, "Wow, that Sidney Crosby sure is great". :wacko:

They must not have watched the tournament, because he was far from Canada's best forward.

#54 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 01:49 PM

Los Angeles Times.

#55 ami

ami

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 04:15 PM

they all are talking about big investment and risks business (teams) are taking allowing their players to go to play in Olympics. how they are multimillioners and blah-blah-blah

but they are keep forgetting who are the customers of these businesses? Who pays for the product?

we are customers and we are who pay.

sure bettman wont listen to us, never did. but it doesn't mean we should keep silence.

Edited by ami, 18 January 2012 - 04:18 PM.

#56 drwscc

drwscc

I drink your milkshake...I drink it up!!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,289 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 05:05 PM

Are you kidding? How can having your nation play in the gold medal game not raise awareness/attract new fans. Look what Phelps did for Swimming. The dream team for the NBA and US softball teams did to increase interest in their sport by competing at the Olympics. Now im obviously not expecting Team USA to dominate in the same fashion but to say having them compete in the Olympics would do noting to grow the fanbase is nonsense.

So, you seek out and watch a bunch of swimming and softball now? You're an avid fan of those sports after the Olympics when you weren't before?

From a business perspective, it doesn't make sense to just stop the season in the middle of the season and disrupt the teams for this kind of event. On the player's side, of course, you are honored to play for your home country on an international stage. It's definitely not an easy solution, but the argument that the players participating will result in an explosion of interest in the NHL just doesn't have any merit.
Faith is to believe what you do not yet see; the reward for this faith is to see what you believe.

I went to a doctor the other day, and all he did was suck blood out of my neck. Never go see Dr. Acula
- Mitch Hedberg

#57 WorkingOvertime

WorkingOvertime

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 18 January 2012 - 07:41 PM

So, you seek out and watch a bunch of swimming and softball now? You're an avid fan of those sports after the Olympics when you weren't before?

From a business perspective, it doesn't make sense to just stop the season in the middle of the season and disrupt the teams for this kind of event. On the player's side, of course, you are honored to play for your home country on an international stage. It's definitely not an easy solution, but the argument that the players participating will result in an explosion of interest in the NHL just doesn't have any merit.

I personally know a few people who became interested in the NHL after the last winter Olympics. However, the games being played on a delay (due to time difference) would make watching less interesting IMO. That is, if USA loses in regulation, I am less likely to watch the replay. I don't know how/if this effects the casual fan though.

#58 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 06:54 PM

TSN.

#59 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,564 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 06:59 PM

Exactly. In 2010 Rafalski was almost a household name in America thanks to his heroics in the Olympics.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#60 Johnz96

Johnz96

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:45 AM

This is going to come down to how many of the truly superstar players actually want to be part of the Olympics and their national team; I really doubt Ovechkin is the only one...

I don't think any player has refused Olympic participation yet or will anytime soon