• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

adamlazzara

Should Datsyuk be named the next Captain?

Rate this topic

As soon as Lidstrom rides off into the sunset(Hopefully not soon) Pavel Datsyuk should be named the next captain. There are no more questions about his leadership ability and he has done nothing but win two Stanley Cups and lead the team in scoring since 2004.

He is pure consistency and shows up for every game, which we can't say for most players on this team.

Yzerman and Lidstrom "Lead by example" I have a sneaking suspicion, Datsyuk will be mentioned in the same vein within five seasons.

Guest Shoreline
Z is the next captain of the Red Wings.

^ Logic points to this, just like logic pointed to Nick being captain when this topic came up.

I'd love to see it, but Pav's English isn't good enough at this point. That's what's holding him back.

Holding him back from what? Giving a dull interview to John Keating?

Pavel has no problem communicating to his teammates.

I think his personality is more suited to being the 'A', not because he couldn't hack it or do a good job as the 'C'. But he seems very content to defer to Z when ever possible and I think he would just rather go out and play.

Some people just like being in the background better, and he seems to defer to hank a lot, almost always giving Hank credit.

I also think the org has done a lot to show Hank that he is the next 'C' from sitting him next to Yzerman, to him being Pav's social setting helper, the guy seems more the mold of the next 'C" than Dats. And after Lids, Dats is my favorite player in the league and I think after Lids he is the best player in the game (as in complete player) but I see Hank (oddly enough 3rd in the rankings I just listed, no I am not biased at all!). as the leader after Lids, but I have been wrong before! But make no mistake about it, it will be their team. They are (relationship wise) what I saw in Stevie and Shanny in late 90's early 2000's. I truly think they are best friends (may not be) and have a great deal of respect for each other, and obviously the org!

Edited by Opie

Holding him back from what? Giving a dull interview to John Keating?

Pavel has no problem communicating to his teammates.

Not the teammates, the officials. They don't know Pavel well enough to know how he speaks.

Datysuk is the best player on the Wings by far, but making him the captain may just distract him from doing what he does best. He's more of a quiet leader, Zetterberg though should be the next C.

Pav's speaking doesn't deter him like it used to four or five years ago. He isn't hesitant to be outgoing in interviews (and there are many more of them nowadays), and his hustle on the ice is unmatched right now. He has addressed every one of his weaknesses and has become a "complete player". He is the only player on the Wings team this year that I haven't pointed to at some point and said "he isn't awake out there." On the contrary, his hustle usually catches my eye, regardless of when he is on the scoresheet or not.

Yzerman is often said to have lead by example. If you want a captain to lead by example, Pavel is the guy to look at. Of course there is more to captaincy than playing well on the ice and setting a positive influence, but the other aspects involve character behind closed doors in the lockeroom, and none of us know conclusively whether Dats has that, or Zetterberg for that matter. Heck, Fillppula might be a big lockerroom presence and we wouldn't have a clue. Based on what I know and what I've seen, Pavel is the man, despite the fact that he isn't captain-handsome like Yzerman Lids or Z.

Well, he's been in the US for like eight years and his English is still pretty bad, so I'm not sure he's very concerned with picking it up.

I was joking, have you not seen this commercial?

Guest micah

Lidstrom is a big enough joke of a Captain, thanks. I don't want Pavel to get the C. Give it to someone with a bit of heart, a bit of passion. Also, a set of balls wouldn't hurt. Just sayin'.

Steve Yzerman might have been on the quiet side, but at least the guy had heart. I don't remember him ever thinking he was too fragile and precious to play in an allstar game even though he was healthy enough for regular season games.

Lidstrom is a big enough joke of a Captain, thanks. I don't want Pavel to get the C. Give it to someone with a bit of heart, a bit of passion. Also, a set of balls wouldn't hurt. Just sayin'.

Steve Yzerman might have been on the quiet side, but at least the guy had heart. I don't remember him ever thinking he was too fragile and precious to play in an allstar game even though he was healthy enough for regular season games.

Pavel has truck loads of heart, weak argument!

If thats the case than Zetterberg has sat out what? 3 all star games?

Not to mention Datsyuk was actually the last of the "Twins" to get into anything resembling a fight.

The fact is, no one has "heart" on this team if you guy by your standards. If "heart" is just about dropping the gloves(Which Yzerman rarely did) then we'll never have a captain worthy in your eyes.

[sarcasm]You're right what kind of a 'C' would put his team's success ahead of the all star game. Friggin' Piece of s*** Lids!!

Screw it, Holland needs to dump the entire roster and start from scratch next year with a bunch of 3rd line North Americans. That will work way better than these no heart having, pansies!

How on Earth will the Red Wings ever win a cup with Lids as 'C', Dats or Z as an 'A' never happen, not in a million years will a team with a soft Euro with no heart ever win a cup, EVER!

[/sarcasm]

Guest micah
If thats the case than Zetterberg has sat out what? 3 all star games?

Not to mention Datsyuk was actually the last of the "Twins" to get into anything resembling a fight.

The fact is, no one has "heart" on this team if you guy by your standards. If "heart" is just about dropping the gloves(Which Yzerman rarely did) then we'll never have a captain worthy in your eyes.

Did I mention Zettererg or fighting?

I want a captain who makes noise, who motivates, who throws his weight and a few F-bombs around, I want a captain who plays hard every single shift, even when it's 6-2 with 30 seconds left in the 3rd. I want a Wendel Clark. I'd take a Mark Messier. Some teams have current Captains that I think do a great job - I like Vinni Lecavalier, Chara, Iginla, Doan, Nolan, Sakic, and probably a few more who aren't coming to mind right now. I don't think that the Wings have a player who has the intangiables that those guys have - except maybe Chelios, and who wants a Captain that's a healthy scratch half the time?

LOLalso - when did Pavel get in something that resembled a fight?

Edited by micah

Don't feed the troll, all.

I think the team has given a lot of signs to show that Zetterberg is the next captain of the 'Wings. I think Zetterberg just isn't as offensively talented as Datsyuk, and that's not a knock on him either. He's among the best defensive players in the league, he's a perennial 30 goal scorer, and he can dish a sweet pass when it's needed. Also, his English is pretty good, and he seems to deal with the media better than Datsyuk. Two great choices, but I think the poster that said to let Datsyuk stay in the background is right on this one.

Guest micah
Don't feed the troll, all.

I think the team has given a lot of signs to show that Zetterberg is the next captain of the 'Wings. I think Zetterberg just isn't as offensively talented as Datsyuk, and that's not a knock on him either. He's among the best defensive players in the league, he's a perennial 30 goal scorer, and he can dish a sweet pass when it's needed. Also, his English is pretty good, and he seems to deal with the media better than Datsyuk. Two great choices, but I think the poster that said to let Datsyuk stay in the background is right on this one.

LOL. Because anything short of felating Wings is trolling.

Did I mention Zettererg or fighting?

I want a captain who makes noise, who motivates, who throws his weight and a few F-bombs around, I want a captain who plays hard every single shift, even when it's 6-2 with 30 seconds left in the 3rd. I want a Wendel Clark. I'd take a Mark Messier. Some teams have current Captains that I think do a great job - I like Vinni Lecavalier, Chara, Iginla, Doan, Nolan, Sakic, and probably a few more who aren't coming to mind right now. I don't think that the Wings have a player who has the intangiables that those guys have - except maybe Chelios, and who wants a Captain that's a healthy scratch half the time?

LOLalso - when did Pavel get in something that resembled a fight?

Sakic? Burnaby Joe has all the fire and intensity of a moistened saltine.

Guest Four

Hank needs to step up to be Captain. It just looks to me this year that he's not playing with an much intensity or heart, but he's also the person Datsyuk goes to (ex. Playoffs when he didnt understand a question and he was like, "Hannnnkkkk...")

We need Hank to step up and show some intensity, fire, motivation, grit, and more passion to become captain.