• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Wings_Rule_1010

Best Player Interaction

Rate this topic

Guest E_S_A_D
More recently my brother and I very nearly ran into Mikael Samuelsson at the Twelve Oaks mall. He was with his wife and family so I didn't bug him for anything.

This is key. If they are with their kids or even wife and/ or eating DO NOT BOTHER THEM. The Chef for the Red Wings has a boat at a Marina I used to be at and always reinforced that logic.

Gordie and Colleen Howe at the Lakeside Denny's, at which I was such an uber-regular, some people thought I worked there. :P

Before their meal came (I didn't want to interrupt), I simply asked Gordie and Colleen if I could shake their hands, just letting them know how much I respected both of them for what they accomplished in the hockey world (I know, it sounds dorky, but I was so star-struck). They did me one better and let me join them briefly to chat a little bit until their meal came and not even just hockey talk. Asked me where I lived and such, found out that they were currently living only a couple minutes away from my house, etc. Fantastic people, so down to earth - especially Colleen, may she rest in peace.

Meanwhile, my dad used to work at Whole Foods in Troy where a lot of the players shopped. He almost ran over Shanny's feet one time with a pallet-jack. Shanny, thankfully, took it in good humor. :lol:

I went to the hotel that the Wings were staying at, in St. Paul, 3 years ago. Henrik Zetterberg was walking through the the lobby on his cell phone. As he walks by me, I asked him for an autograph. He shook his head no and kept walking.

:blink: How rude! Of you that is! How do you frealing ask him for his autograph when he is on a personal phone call? That is wha is wrong with sports fans now-a-days. There is a time and place to ask for autographs, when they are on personal phone calls, out to dinner with family or obviously doing something that cannot be interrupted, you should NEVER ask for their autograph! Use you head, there is an ediquitte.

Anyhow, I have had WAY too many interactions to list, but I will list a couple. I worked as a skycap for "THE" airline here in Detroit from 1991 to 1995, met MANY, MANY players, NHL, MLB, NFL, NBA, College, you name it. If they had a game in the area, more than likely they flew us.

Talked to Marc Potvin when he was a Wing (Adirondack) and he was so taken aback that I even recognized him that he bought me lunch. That was cool!

I had a long conversation with John Brophy, when he was a scout for the Wings. We had just traded for Coffey and he was telling me that I would enjoy watching him play (with the puck) but watch him without it, he is (and turned out to be) a huge defensive liabilty. He said he just floats around when he doesn't have the puck.

Had lunch with Joe Murphy and Jeremy Roenick at Little Caesars the day after the Blackhawks played us one time. Same with Kirk Muller when he was with Montreal.

Had a nice conversation with Brett Hull and Adam Oates when they both played for the Blues. Rich Sutter (Head Coach) was with them, but didnt say too much.

Back when Probie couldn't travel to Canada, I was driving one of those annoying electric carts and noticed him and his (then) girlfriend looking at the departure monitor. I knew he was flying to meet the team in San Jose and pulled up and offered him ride from the security chek point to the old "C" gates ( a very long walk.) His girlfriend said no thanks, but PRobie hopped on and said "Go ahead, walk! I'm riding!" I also drove Mike Sillinger one time as he was being sent back down to Adirondack (it was the trade deadline) and we talked about the different deals that went on that day.

I have had many quick encounters with many players and coaches, but my all time favorite was this one time, when Bryan Murray was both head coach/GM. The Wings were on a 10 or so game winning streak, and as he was walking through security people were saying hi to him from all angles. I said to him, it sure is hard to remain anonymous now-a-days isn't it? He kinda laughed and said yes! As we both walked away from the check point, he asked me what I did for the airline and after I explained that, he told me that he was going to the GM's meetings and was going to miss tonights game. He was going to leave it to the assisstants tonight. I told him I was going to the game (back then it was still affordable to go! LOL!) he told me to make sure they did a good job! Jokingly I said OK! Well, they lost. So, life goes on! Here I am three days later sitting in the area right before the old revolving doors that used to lead to baggage claim and guess who walks around the corner? You guessed it! Well, not expecting anything, he walks over to me and says, "Hey! I thought you were going to make sure they did a good job!" I couldn't do anything but laugh and told him that I threw some line combos at them, but the refused to listen to me! He laughed an said he was going to have a talk with them that night about it! Then he went on his way! I was so surprised that he approached me that day, and that he remembered our conversation. That was cool! That was way better than just asking for an autograph and moving on!

These are public people that also have private lives. Since that day, I always tried to have some sort of friendly exchange with someone famous that I may meet, not just ask for an autograph and thats it. They appreciate it, trust me. One time Isiah Thomas was at the airport I was talking to him for about 30 minute and he actually asked me why haven't I asked for his autograph yet, and I said that I figured he was here on private matters and I shouldn't be asking during those matters. He looked at me and said "Wow! I like that!" Shook my hand and boarded his plane. Very Cool!

The whole time I was a skycap I only ever asked for 2 autographs, Bob Probert and Rowdy Roddy Piper! But I have had probably hundreds of conversations and friendly exchanges with many! I kinda miss that job, but had to move on!

I've met just about all of the former Griffins at one time or another. When they are here in GR, they are required to do a lot of promo and charity fundraiser events. The young ones are really fun to meet...they don't get too many people who recognize them...so they actually like it when someone does stop and talk. My kids enjoyed going on a hayride with Jonathan Ericsson and some of his teammates last fall. It was a lot of fun; though it was the night before the Red Wings went to DC to meet the president, so Helm and Downey were missing from the group.

Mike Knuble went to one of my hockey nights last summer. He's friends with my coach, so Mike got on the ice with us and showed us some drills and moves. He expected us to be able to do them with as much speed and finesse as he does. "Its easy...1-2-3...very simple", he kept saying. Yeah, maybe for him. His son who is like 10 years old did them better than most of us. I'm proud to say I could keep up with his daughter though. She was about 6 and wore figure skates! :thumbup:

Probably my best interaction hockey wise was when I lived in Montreal and did a skate with the Canadiens thing at the Bell Centre. I was 12 and not the greatest skater so I ate it hard in front of Benoit Brunet and he obviously found it funny. I was wearing a Red Wings hat and Dave Manson was razzing me about that. A ton of fun and got plenty of autographs. Sadly I have yet to meet anyone on the Wings.

I went to the Dan Cleary signing last Friday and had a pair of game worn skates of his. I didn't want to spend $20 per skate to get signed, so I just decided on getting one signed. The guy sitting next to Cleary was adimant about making sure I only got one signed. And when I got to Cleary he told him to sign only one. Cleary told him that was ridiculous and signed my other skate too. He was not how I imagined. He was very nice, talkative, stood up for pictures, shook hands. Employees at Hockeytown Authentics had told me he was an ass, so I was surprised. So it got me thinking, what was the best player experience you ever had?

I think people might think Cleary is an ass because of his senes of humor. He's probably a really nice guy who takes jabs at people in good humor and they just don't get it.

Best experience? Meeting Cheli a few years back here in Anaheim. He ignored the bus and came to talk to Wings fans waiting in the driveway. Took time to chat with everyone. As he was signing my jersey (I was wearing it while standing on the barrier gate) I slipped. Cheli says "[blank!] You made me mess it up!" and I say "Sorry - but with Chelios behind me I'm a little nervous." He had the greatest laugh.

I also recall seeing Matthieu Schneider after his first game as a Wing... few people noticed him watching the faithful Wings fans watching the Wing's bus load. He was thrilled when a few folks finally recognized him and was very friendly.

I've also had the pleasure of meeting and chatting with a number of the new "kids" on the Ducks, and have to say that they are all great guys. Hockey players are the best!

My experiences have been really cool. I met Gordie Howe at camp, and he tried to feed my dog Galen a banana! Galen wouldn't take it (as a service dog, he was taught not to take things from strangers), and Gordie said, "He'd probably rather eat a calf."

Mark Howe loves my dog Loki. They met at camp last fall. Loki has also met Henrik Zetterberg. We were sitting by the bench, and Henrik came around the glass and signed a jersey for my friend Sandy. Then he saw Loki, and said, "Hey, buddy", and petted him. When I asked if he'd like to sign Loki's Red Wings bandanna, Henrik said, "Sure", and signed it.

I've met Andreas, Nick, Dan, Derek, Kirk, Brett, Cheli, D-Mac, Jiri, Kris, Henrik, Valtteri, Nik, Kopi, Johan, Homer and Pasha. Lots of Pasha stories. He's always been a gentleman, with a great sense of humor, kindness and generosity. Love him to death. I couldn't pick a favorite moment, but suffice to say there have been many beautiful moments for me.

I've also met Robert Lang, Manny Legace, Jim Howard, Jamie Rivers, Aaron Downey (what a sweetie!), Mike Babcock, Dave Lewis, Budd Lynch and Ted Lindsay (whoever thinks he's "terrible" could not be more mistaken). Just missed a meeting with Jiri Fischer (rats!), and missed a chance to talk to Pat Verbeek (he was on his cell phone and I didn't want to interrupt his train of thought).

Two of the best stories involved my friend Julie. She had a beautiful pic of her and Jiri Fischer and she always wanted it autographed. Last year one of the guys at camp asked for the picture, and came back with it a few minutes later, autographed by Jiri, with the words, "Sometimes life is better than we think it is." Julie and I both had tears in our eyes.

The year before that, she was almost ready to talk to Scotty Bowman, but he got mobbed. So he looked at Julie and said, "Maybe tomorrow." She said it was cool, and waited patiently to see who else was coming out.

A moment or so later, someone tapped Julie on the shoulder and said, "He wants to talk to you." "He who?" "Scotty". Julie (who is confined to a wheelchair) went around the corner to where her jeep was parked, and there was Scotty Bowman. They sat and talked for 15 minutes. It was the thrill of her lifetime.

about 8 yrs ago I had the opportunity to meet Luc Robitaille when he was with the Kings (before he came to Detroit). My team was in California for a christmas break trip/vacation and the one day we went out to the Kings practice facility to watch there practice and we got to go to the locker room after. I got autographs from Rob Blake, Stephane Fiset, Steve Passmore, Jozef Stumpel, and Stu Grimson. That day happened to be a day that Robitaille was excused from practice to shoot a commercial for the local Fox Sports affiliate. The commercial had Luc stepping in front of the net, dropping his stick and then crossing his arms as the Fox Sports voice over said the tag lines. So I wandered out there and waited for the takes to be done and as they were finishing Luc noticed I was standing there and asked if they could do one last take. He came over to me and shook my hand and asked if I wanted to participate in the last take. So they give me a black Kings jersey (Luc had the white one on) and they had us line up like a faceoff and then drop our gloves and pose like we were throwing punches. This take never had any chance of making it on the air, but they did mail me a copy of it for my own personal memories. After we were done Luc signed a few things and took a quick picture for me before he left. All in all truly a unique experience and one I will never forget.

Edited by MotorCityMadness

I have heard so many stories about bad experiences with Z. I just don't get it. I've met him many times and he's always so nice to me. He even waved to me when I went to a game in Chicago. He even personalized my jersey without me asking him to. He's a great guy...very down to earth...very willing to talk. The first time I met him he asked me what I do and wished me luck and all that jazz.

I have heard so many stories about bad experiences with Z. I just don't get it. I've met him many times and he's always so nice to me. He even waved to me when I went to a game in Chicago. He even personalized my jersey without me asking him to. He's a great guy...very down to earth...very willing to talk. The first time I met him he asked me what I do and wished me luck and all that jazz.

It's cuz you're hot ;)

:lol: I don't think so. Couldn't it just be because he's actually a nice guy?

Well, maybe that too.

Seriously, though, kids and cute chicks get the attention. That's cool, though. When I was at a game in Minn in January, there was the cutest kid standing by the glass by the Wings bench and he knew all the players' numbers even though he didn't know how to read them yet. Koko and Lilja were tossing pucks to the kids, and Piet Van Zant handed me one over the glass when someone snatched the puck that Lilja had meant for the kid. Cool guys.

Edited by 55fan

I had the fortune of meeting Scotty Bowman back in 2005. At the time, I was living in Florida and was purchasing a new car. I was wearing a Wings shirt and the salesman told me he is Doug Brown's cousin and also that Scotty himself had been in the office 2 hours earlier. He also said Scotty would be stopping by the next day and I could bring something to have it signed.

Well sure enough, I went the next day to drop something off, and Scotty was there! I think he was a little taken aback as he wasn't expecting it but he was there to talk hockey with another salesman that used to play for a minor league team in New England some years ago. I got to listen to him talk about the new kids in the NHL, which at the time, were Crosby and Ovechkin. It was neat to hear his insight.

When I needed to leave, I thanked him for all of the years he worked with the Wings. I wound up seeing him driving two more times after that because he had a very distinguishable classic car with a big Wings logo on the back. :)

I have had a few really awesome encounters. The best was Gordie Howe.

Last season I did the color gaurd for the National Anthem. It was Military appreciation night and they went all out for us. Before the start the bought us like 8 pizzza's for four of us! We got to ride the zamboni with Al, who is an incredibly nice guy and also a huge fan of the Military, for the pregame run. Then afterwards we thought we were just gonna go home and a guy came and said hey how would you like to go up to a suite? Hells yes! He added that there are other people in the suite he hoped we would not mind. Well we get up to the suite and who else but Gordie friggin Howe!!! Long story short he BS'd with us during intermission, told us stories of the old days and we told him stories of Iraq and basic and other various training. It was a chance of a lifetime. I have pictures but I was 35 lbs heavier and look it so I don;t have them up! HAHA

Another time I met Datsyuk in Hockeytown Authentics he was hilarious and nice. Signed a jersey for me!

Three stories with Pasha.

First time I was at camp and he was there, I walked upstairs Saturday morning, and my friend Brit said, "Pat, get over here quick!" I turned around and she was with Pasha. So I went over and very shyly said good morning to him. Then my hubby came over and said, "I bet you don't get to see too many of those", meaning the Dynamo jersey I was wearing. "Would you like me to autograph that for you?" Pasha asked me if I wanted my jersey signed! "Please?" He was the epitomy of graciousness.

My great niece Tiffany came up the next year. Tiff is like me, in that she loves to read, and she loves Pasha (her mom says I taught her well). He signed her shirt, a puck, a program, and let me take a picture of the two of them together. When she was done, she turned and looked at her mom and said, "That's it. I'm ready to go home."

He also was nice enough to let me take a photo of him with my friend Julie. It was perfect. So for her, I went and made an 8x10 copy of it. She brought it with her the next day, and Pasha signed it for her. It's now framed on her wall at home in Indiana.