• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

CenterIce

What does everyone think of Ballard's hit on Malkin?

Rate this topic

The whole "clean hit" not allowed anymore statement isn't always true... I think the hit was clean, but Malkin is probably the best player on your team. If someone did that to Yzerman back in the Probert/Kocur days, there would be retribution. In fact, Gerry Galant would have beat the guys ass...

You have to respect Crosby on one level for sticking up for Malkin, but at the same time, the little twerp has a damn shield on and probably thought the rest of his teamates would rush in too.

The hit was "pretty" clean... borderline.

If you have guys that are willing to protect your star players, I think the accountability factor is fine and dandy. Crosby shouldn't be fighting guys though... I appreciate his willingness, but he is more important to his team on the ice.

Crosby was right to take offense at that hit, although he shouldn't have picked that particular fight. Malkin didn't jump but was on one leg because of his last-second kick-pass, but Ballard did take his legs out; it wasn't a hip-to-hip check. Not intentionally dirty or anything, but worth a tripping call.

Beautiful hit. Nothing borderline about it and no retaliation was called for. Those type of hits need to be part of the game! Retaliation for them just shows how stuck-up and spoiled some of the kids playing in the NHL really are.

I haven't checked the box score but I hope Crosby got the instigator for the fight.

Crosby is a fighter now?

No he is a hockey player that sticks up for his teammates by fighting. Something the Red Wings aren't huge on so you are probably not used to it.

Crosby is a fighter now?

He shouldn't be, but I understand why he's doing it. Maybe the ghost of Gary Roberts has possessed him.

You could see Guerin hovering around in case things got hairy for Sid.

Not dirty at ALL. Rob Blake made a career out of these.

The fight was lame, you put a clean hit on a guy and then you have to stand up for it? BS.

Not to mention it sent Crosby to the bench for 5 or more. Nice. Way to help your team, Sid. Real tough.

Sid could have broken his hand, and how nice that would be for the playoff run.

Not a thing wrong with that hit, other than Malkin trying to jump out of the way. That's the only thing that makes that look even remotely bad.

Crosby belongs in the tool shed with the other tools for trying to fight him over that. That's what made the whole situation bad was him trying to fight over it.

No he is a hockey player that sticks up for his teammates by fighting. Something the Red Wings aren't huge on so you are probably not used to it.

I just don't see what there is to stand up for in a clean hit. He could respond with some physical play of his own instead of pulling this stuff. Not that I really care though.

perfectly clean hip check... if Malkin didn't want to get upended, he wouldn't have tried to leap and wouldve just ducked down and taken the hit like a man... afterwards, Ballard still won the fight too, so all and all, Ballard did everything right.

Dumb, just dumb. Back in the day, would I want Steve Yzerman fighting somebody for putting a hard, clean hit on Fedorov? Heck no! I agree with the announcers, you don't fight somebody for a clean hit. A dirty one, absolutely. In hockey, you retaliate with a nice clean hit of your own!

I just don't see what there is to stand up for in a clean hit. He could respond with some physical play of his own instead of pulling this stuff. Not that I really care though.

It wasn't so much of a matter Crosby thinking it was dirty. But when one of your best players gets checked like that he has to expect something to happen. It's how hockey has always been. It was a Power Play and Crosby was the closest to Ballard so he took it into his hands, I think it was a fair play by both players. I'm sure Ballard was happy to fight Crosby, I'm sure Crosby wanted to spark up his team via a fight. Fair play all-around, imo.

It wasn't so much of a matter Crosby thinking it was dirty. But when one of your best players gets checked like that he has to expect something to happen. It's how hockey has always been. It was a Power Play and Crosby was the closest to Ballard so he took it into his hands, I think it was a fair play by both players. I'm sure Ballard was happy to fight Crosby, I'm sure Crosby wanted to spark up his team via a fight. Fair play all-around, imo.

Fair enough. I like this response of yours. :thumbup:

Fair enough, but having one of your best players going to the penalty box for 5 minutes and while on a power play doesn't make a lick of sense to me.

Fair enough, but having one of your best players going to the penalty box for 5 minutes and while on a power play doesn't make a lick of sense to me.

Yeah I can definitely see that angle too. But I'm sure it was just instinctive play by Crosby and it made for a good show. Can't complain ;)