• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest Shoreline

Thrashers parody Ovechkin @ Philips Arena

Rate this topic

Guest Shoreline

What's funny is Boudreau here is critical of this ad done by the Thrash, which you should all see in the video (inside the link), but look at the bold, large-font-part in the quoted part of the article which shows why Boudreau would be a flaming hypocrite. And the greatest part is they're all funny.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puck_dadd...?urn=nhl,153726

Capitals coach furious after Atlanta's Ovechkin mockery

Washington Capitals winger Alexander Ovechkin ascended to a new level of local sports celebrity this season when he appeared in commercials for Eastern Motors, whose use of D.C. area sports icons from the NBA and NFL have made them cult sensations.

Part of Ovechkin's campaign for the car dealer was a hilarious "outtakes" video, in which the Russian star warbled Eastern's ubiquitous jingle ("At Eastern Motors/Your job's your credit") while asking for "shots vodka please" to untie his tongue.

When the Capitals came to town last night (and won, 4-2), the division rival Atlanta Thrashers had a little surprise for Ovechkin: They edited his Eastern Motors ad into a satirical "public service announcement" warning about the dangers of "hockey players doing bad commercials." They even directed fans to a non-existent Web site called YouCantAct.com. The commercial parody, from the Thrashers:

[video is here in the article]

The fans ate it up inside the arena. Washington Capitals Coach Bruce Boudreau? Not a fan, as his postgame interview indicated:

"I really like the stuff they do, but I thought that was over the line. You know, mocking how bad ... I know it was all in good fun and everything, but I thought that was over the line.

"I wasn't a big fan of that. If they want to mock their own players, fine -- go ahead and mock their own players like that. But people pay a lot of money for these commercials, and I didn't think it was in very good taste when they did the stuff with Alex."

Eastern Motors released the "outtakes" clip themselves, so no worries on the business front. But if Boudreau felt the tone of the commercial parody was over the line, then that's just hypocrisy.

The in-arena entertainment at Washington Capitals games has included staged moments between two men in opponents' jerseys on the Kiss-Cam and lingering Jumbotron coverage of fan-made signs attacking the integrity of visiting players. While they don't have the depths of planning and production values of the Atlanta video, the intent is analogous.

And you know what? Those bits of mockery are wickedly entertaining, just like they are in the Thrashers' video and whenever teams get in on the good-natured ribbing. It's hockey. People are paying top dollar to see their guys literally beat the stuffing out of the other guys. Reverence and hospitality have no home here. It's all in good fun.

We're stunned to have to say this to someone who appeared as an extra in that pinnacle of hockey degradation "Slap Shot" back in 1977, but ... lighten up, Coach.

Atleast Pavels looked professionally done .. the first time i saw that OVIE commercial I didnt understand wtf was going on to be honest .. i thought he was singing a oldie or something for fun ... wonder how much they paid him to come in for 30 mins dressed like a bum .. AND FOR THE LAST TIME PUT YOUR DAMN TEETH IN OUT IN PUBLIC !

LOL, the video in the article is great, I'm surprised they didn't pick on Pavel.

Gotta love it. Ovechkin's just a fun loving dork. :)

http://www.letsgowings.com/forums/index.ph...t&p=1595328

Rahmani should do this.

Edited by MidMichSteve

Grow a set Boudreau!

It's all in good fun, and I wouldn't be the least bit upset if/when someone rips Dats for the Rahmani commercial. It's not as if they're personally attacking someone's family or its meant with serious malicious intent. There's a lot worse things to be worried about. Get over it.

I used to get pissed when Cindy got all the face time and Ovie was ignored because I felt that he was just as good, if not better but his stupid celebrations have completely turned me off and the coach whining about the negative reaction to it just makes him look like an ass..... When a coach feels the need to defend the conduct of one of his players, then it's time to step back and reassess the situation........Acting like an 8 year old that just scored his first goal everytime you score suggests there is a lot of room left for growing up. Besides that he dresses like a slob and always looks greasy.....

Gotta love it. Ovechkin's just a fun loving dork. :)

http://www.letsgowings.com/forums/index.ph...t&p=1595328

Rahmani should do this.

I love it. The real commercial and the spoof. It is all in good fun. AO really is a big ball of dorkiness, gotta love him. Unlsee ofcourse your one of those that think his celebrations are over the top.

Boudrea is a whiny little *****.

I love it. The real commercial and the spoof. It is all in good fun. AO really is a big ball of dorkiness, gotta love him. Unlsee ofcourse your one of those that think his celebrations are over the top.

Boudrea is a whiny little *****.

Quoted for truth.

I used to get pissed when Cindy got all the face time and Ovie was ignored because I felt that he was just as good, if not better but his stupid celebrations have completely turned me off and the coach whining about the negative reaction to it just makes him look like an ass..... When a coach feels the need to defend the conduct of one of his players, then it's time to step back and reassess the situation........Acting like an 8 year old that just scored his first goal everytime you score suggests there is a lot of room left for growing up. Besides that he dresses like a slob and always looks greasy.....

How about actually finding out what Ovie's reaction to it was (if indeed he had one to begin with) before you start blaming him for what his coach says?

How about actually finding out what Ovie's reaction to it was (if indeed he had one to begin with) before you start blaming him for what his coach says?

Exactly. Ovechkin thought it was hilarious. If people haven't figured it out by now, Ovie doesn't take himself too seriously...

That was an awesome video by the thrashers, Wings marketing team really needs to start taking notes.

I don't know...I think they are doing ok...I ******* love the video they play before the Wings hit the ice at the Joe.

Wait, so....the Atlanta Thrashers....make a faux PSA announcement....featuring a terrible camera presence in Ron Hainsey....and use that faux PSA.....to mock NHL players....who are terrible on camera?

Who's the hypocrite again?

What, Ovechkin hams it up for a quick buck but shouldn't have to be the butt of a mild joke? Beaudreau should lighten up. Ovie's bad english aside, he's probably had meaner things shouted at him at your average road game in Philly.

Was that our old pal Kozlov at the very end?

hockey commercials have always been the funniest commercials ever

My family ROFLed at the commercial with all the babies and the dude goes up and starts yelling about how the other babies are ugly and his is the best in the world. I think it's a Versus commercial.

Guest Shoreline
My family ROFLed at the commercial with all the babies and the dude goes up and starts yelling about how the other babies are ugly and his is the best in the world. I think it's a Versus commercial.

It runs on Versus and FSN/Comcast (Verizon commercial), but yeah, that one always gets a chuckle of out me. :lol:

Edited by Shoreline

My wife is convinced that will be me when we have our first child. She's not too far off. :P

I am a college student that wears sweat pants 4-5 days a week and even I am embarrassed on behalf of the human race for Alex Ovechkin's hygiene (or lack thereof) how hard is it to wash the grease out of your hair and use a comb once in a while??

Also he looks like a moron in this commercial and every time he scores a goal. Bobby Orr is the greatest hockey player in NHL history and watch the videos, every time he scored a goal (aside from the flying Cup winner) he just skated back to center ice with his head down....you know, like he had actually done it before!!!