• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
KrazyGangsta

Advertisements on Glass

Rate this topic

Ads, ads, and more ads!! When will people finally say enough is enough?

They put ads on the jerseys, what is next? What will they change team names to corporate names?

Imagine this, "You are watching Detroit Comericas Hockey presented to you by Bud Light as the Comericas take on the Chicago AIGs from the Freddie Mack Center in Detroit, home to the government owned General Motors Corporation!! In net for the Wings, oops I mean Comericas is Ty Grab Life by the Horns Conklin..." :ranting:

Bastardize our sports and we will quit watching!! That is why I refuse to watch MLS.

that's actually pretty common in czech league.

Ads, ads, and more ads!! When will people finally say enough is enough?

They put ads on the jerseys, what is next? What will they change team names to corporate names?

Imagine this, "You are watching Detroit Comericas Hockey presented to you by Bud Light as the Comericas take on the Chicago AIGs from the Freddie Mack Center in Detroit, home to the government owned General Motors Corporation!! In net for the Wings, oops I mean Comericas is Ty Grab Life by the Horns Conklin..." :ranting:

Bastardize our sports and we will quit watching!! That is why I refuse to watch MLS.

Maybe they'd have to start out slowly. Burger King takes over the LA team, which is now the Burger Kings. Blue Cross and Blue Shield move into St. Louis, which keeps the St. Louis Blues name, but with a different logo.

See how those work at first. Then let Buffalo Wild Wings confuse the heck out of us.

I hope it never comes to logos on the uniforms or corporate team names. I'd rather they ran little blurbs running across the bottom of the screen like they do on sports stations giving score updates. Not that I want that; just that I don't want to see it on the uniforms.

As far as audio sponsorship, Belle Tire is annoying enough. I don't want to hear another corporate name during play.

yeah , the nerve of soccer to show to 45min halves without commercials and get the game over in 2 hours without a bunch of crap and ads all over the field.

I would not be so sure about that because then all of the teams would look the same when team branding, logos/colors are an important selling point.

Identities would be lost and interest in the league would decline even more. As a die hard, I would not watch that crap, and I know I am not alone here.

Like everything else, there needs to be a balance.

Die hards tend to, however begrudgingly, accept change eventually.

I rarely agree with prophetic like statements like vangvace delivered but trends have shown that this will be at very least attempted.

The way marketing methodology works is they start with a focus group to decide how to tailor the ads and study attitudes toward it (usually with polls), then they work with testing, say, a teaser (PR agency handles the distribution on this), to see the fans response. If it isn't completely and lopsidedly negative, they then move on to the big show, or, set up a campaign to create a favoring (so-called "independent") study (look at who hires them) to show people as a last ditch effort to convince folks how much this is needed. One of the largest ways to market it to the schmucks is through this economic recession/crash/whatever you want to call it. Guilt is also a good marketing tool, and if you've ever watched FSN commercials, you'll know what I'm talking about. This is used so much in business (being a business major) and politics (studying politics) it's absolutely predictable.

What I wish they would do is, since they're gonna go nuts with ads anyways, is just go to the Sportsnet style ads and have your commercials, have the quick ad spot between whistles, and the usual commercials, and be done with it. If this ever makes it as far as the AHL (the league's test bunny) people will certainly need to raise some hell. I would never buy a jersey that makes me a complete walking billboard unless those bastards pay me to wear those jerseys. It's enough to show the Red Wings and Reebok/CCM/Koho/Nike logos. It's gonna be interesting to see how far the league will want to push, and the bigger question of how hard, in the upcoming years. Remember, MSG (i.e. Cablevision) got permission from the league to do this. They are the ones that have to pay to broadcast NHL games, and they are subject to league's broadcast rules in these regards.

If I may make another one... ASG will be the first place the NHL tests ad patches at it's level.

Does the AHL still have ad patches on their sweaters?

Die hards tend to, however begrudgingly, accept change eventually.

Not this die hard!! Ads on the ice or boards or naming rights are one thing, patches on jerseys is a whole nother story.

All I can say is, if/when they attempt it, make your voice heard!! NNNNO!! No! Nooooo!! They will have to listen.

yeah , the nerve of soccer to show to 45min halves without commercials and get the game over in 2 hours without a bunch of crap and ads all over the field.

Please tell me you are kidding. The MLS is a joke that came along in the mid 90s and therefore has no real history or tradition.

The NHL on the other hand.....

The way I see it, excessive commercials and ads on boards is annoying as hell but at least it does not deface tradition and team identity.

You see, the jerseys themselves are a form of advertising as many go out and buy them/follow the team simply b/c they think they look cool and unique. That would all be lost with ads on jerseys as everyone would look exactly the same.

I dont see how revenue gained from advertising on jerseys could equal the revenue lost from the dilution of the brand and loss of sales on that brand in the form of jerseys. It may work in the Czech Republic but thats a world apart from North America and 100 years of hockey tradition.

I dont see how revenue gained from advertising on jerseys could equal the revenue lost from the dilution of the brand and loss of sales on that brand in the form of jerseys. It may work in the Czech Republic but thats a world apart from North America and 100 years of hockey tradition.

The Czechs players represent a nation/way of life/national pride. The same goes for any other world team.

The NHL players represent nothing more than a brand/several brands depending on how much they move around.

The New York Yankees, Detroit Redwings, LA Lakers, and Green Bay Packers may have large fan bases throughout North America, but they are by no means symbols of national pride, just brands.

You might be surprised by how many would still buy the jersey if it's just a patch, but who's to say that ads even have to be put on "fan" sweaters. It might even make for a third tier in jerseys as well. Replica, Authentic, and Game authentic (with ads of course)

You might be surprised by how many would still buy the jersey if it's just a patch, but who's to say that ads even have to be put on "fan" sweaters. It might even make for a third tier in jerseys as well. Replica, Authentic, and Game authentic (with ads of course)

Would you like to see that happen?

To me, it would be both a sign of weakness and a lack of integrity on the part of the league, and the fans for letting it happen.

Please tell me you are kidding. The MLS is a joke that came along in the mid 90s and therefore has no real history or tradition.

The NHL on the other hand.....

The way I see it, excessive commercials and ads on boards is annoying as hell but at least it does not deface tradition and team identity.

You see, the jerseys themselves are a form of advertising as many go out and buy them/follow the team simply b/c they think they look cool and unique. That would all be lost with ads on jerseys as everyone would look exactly the same.

so an MLS team has 15 sq inches of an ad on their jersey and that ruins it for you? every team has a crest/symbol and colors that are emblematic of their jerseys. That's the identity. There are no ads all over the field and NO commercials or timeouts during play. That's the flip side and benefit. You may not like it but that's the way it is , and there is an upside.

what history and tradition in hockey are you talking about? they didn't have ads all over the ice or on the boards in Howes day so what tradition are you talking about? If there were ads on NHL jerseys there is no way it'd look like the Czech players and this would not stop people from buying them, they buy them now because it's what the players wear.

and how would they all of a sudden look alike? You mean detroit wouldn't have red and white and edmonton wouldn't have blue jerseys because there'd be an ad on them? makes no sense whatsoever.

so an MLS team has 15 sq inches of an ad on their jersey and that ruins it for you? every team has a crest/symbol and colors that are emblematic of their jerseys. That's the identity. There are no ads all over the field and NO commercials or timeouts during play. That's the flip side and benefit. You may not like it but that's the way it is , and there is an upside.

what history and tradition in hockey are you talking about? they didn't have ads all over the ice or on the boards in Howes day so what tradition are you talking about? If there were ads on NHL jerseys there is no way it'd look like the Czech players and this would not stop people from buying them, they buy them now because it's what the players wear.

and how would they all of a sudden look alike? You mean detroit wouldn't have red and white and edmonton wouldn't have blue jerseys because there'd be an ad on them? makes no sense whatsoever.

What am I talking about? The boards and ice surface are meaningless to most. The appearances of the jerseys are a symbols of pride and joy for the vast majority of fans. The are a lot of people who become a fan of a team because of the name and or uniform.

The notion that corporations would give up their ad space on the ice surface and boards to have their patches on the jerseys is silly as the ads are hard to see on moving bodies and unfavorable angles.

If the league were to allow ads on players, it would not be to improve the flow of the game and beautify the ice and boards like you suggest. No, it would be to make more money to compensate for shrinking revenue streams and rising costs.

In the end, we would have ads on the ice, boards, buildings, frequent commercial breaks and now players. And yes the teams would look all the same while standing around for tv timeouts b/c they would all have ads on them. It would be too pathetic for me to watch.

Would you like to see that happen?

To me, it would be both a sign of weakness and a lack of integrity on the part of the league, and the fans for letting it happen.

Like? No. Then again, I don't watch too many games to begin with because I'm out of market. That and I prefer going to games (Thank you Devils for the free tickets)

This is what will be coming imo. Possibly by as early as next season to keep from cap shrinkage in the near future:

1e908ab5d3d4258d03795925aec07218.300.jpg

I did some quick "shopping" for an AHL team jersey and I didn't see one for sale with a sponsor patch so...

In a word: yes.

Thanks. I knew they had been doing it, but couldn't confirm that it's still being done.

Like? No. Then again, I don't watch too many games to begin with because I'm out of market. That and I prefer going to games (Thank you Devils for the free tickets)

This is what will be coming imo. Possibly by as early as next season to keep from cap shrinkage in the near future:

1e908ab5d3d4258d03795925aec07218.300.jpg

I did some quick "shopping" for an AHL team jersey and I didn't see one for sale with a sponsor patch so...

Thanks. I knew they had been doing it, but couldn't confirm that it's still being done.

Why should the fans be forced to accept something they do not like? Is that not part of the problem in this country, and the world for that matter? For too long, we have been told our opinions do not matter and made to feel powerless and therefore accept change for the worse.

When will people finally grow a back bone and say enough is enough and no longer allow themselves to be pushed around? If people did this, the league would listen because without the fans, the league is nothing. The corporations are nothing but little PISS ANTS jumping on the bandwagon and would surely not be far behind the fans heading for the exits.

What is with all of the negative attitudes that we must begrudgingly accept such crap?

Fans, you need to get off your lazy asses and do NOTHING!! (in terms of supporting NHL hockey) as it will surely force the league front offices to reconsider!! Remember who the boss is. hint: look in the mirror. It is as easy as 1,2,3 and it would not hurt the league, in the long run that is.

Our president Barak Obama, as much as I do not like the man, made a great point when he said the words "Yes We can!!" He was right. Our voices can be heard and our actions can bring about positive change as we should not be forced to settle for things with which we the majority disagree. All that is needed is for people to grow some stones and stop being a bunch of damn sheep and say no!!

Okay, done preaching for the night. :ranting: