• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Zeke

Helm and Leino will play

Rate this topic

If you saw a recent game (anytime since Leino came back from Detroit), and Leino wasn't playing...he was injured...not a healthy scratch. I think they were calling it a charley horse and he was out about 2 weeks. The Griffins had two defensemen playing forward for a few games due to injuries.

IMO...

Unless Hossa and/or others are injured, both Helm and Leino will likely be left in GR for the first round of the AHL playoffs to get maximum playoff minutes for player development reasons. The veterans - Maltby, Kopecky, Draper, Cleary should all play in the first few games for Detroit. Depending on how they do, Leino and Helm may get called after that.

I saw the Griffins play the Hamilton Bulldogs last week,and Leino did sit,but he may have had a minor injury. He did play the following night.

I thought Helm was the best player on the ice for both teams.He was also the fastest and tried to hit someone on every shift...just like last year in our playoffs.

I'd have to go with Malts and or Kopper if the Helm and or Leino play. I think Babsy wants to see who we get in the 1st round and examine his team against the other team's lineup before he decides who will play and who will sit before he decieds the lines.

Kopecksy should sit i think he doesnt hit enough none of his shots get through either ,he needs to hit and finish checks and get off the ice plain and simple

I'd have to go with Malts and or Kopper if the Helm and or Leino play. I think Babsy wants to see who we get in the 1st round and examine his team against the other team's lineup before he decides who will play and who will sit before he decieds the lines.

Helm has been recalled,but how can you explain not calling up Leino?!

Helm instead of Maltby for sure.

Leino should play, but if he does it is probably should be on the 3rd line. I would not be upset if he played instead of Sammie or Cleary if one of them continues their end of season play into the playoffs. Cleary has been almost as predictable as Sammie at losing the puck along the boards.

I understand loyalty and veteran leadership but Maltby, McCarty and Chelios shouldn't even be talked about on this roster. We are to the point now where we are coddling older veterans because its the right thing to do rather than playing the best young talent to give us a winning shot. I understand the cap kept many of these young guys down all year but its time to bring some of them up and give ourselves a chance. The team looked much stronger with Helm and Leino, nice to see some young guns with some jump in their game. We need some of that jump when we start playing for the cup. I also understand Downey is a fan favorite and a fighter but I'm not impressed with our game when he is in the line-up. Everyone talks crap about Sammie but he usually comes up big when we need him...I'm just not sure what to think of Cleary, take him or leave him.

I hope it's draper and Maltby. Draper has been horrible all season long and his face off skills just don't justify him having a spot. Maltby I thought has been up and down this whole season but the other 2 just out class him at this point. Kopecky I want to stay in because he has shown some signs, he at least tries to hit, and when he has had youth on his line before he has played decent.

Draper is is 2nd in the NHL in faceoff percentage, do you realize how crucial defensive zone faceoffs are? or any faceoff for that matter? Explain how Draper has been horrible without using "-13". He still has the defensive skill, he just doesn't put up points anymore.

Edited by Dano33

Draper is is 2nd in the NHL in faceoff percentage, do you realize how crucial defensive zone faceoffs are? or any faceoff for that matter? Explain how Draper has been horrible without using "-13". He still has the defensive skill, he just doesn't put up points anymore.

Because I've watched every game he's played this season, Draper has been the worst foward this season. I don't think him even being a top face off man justifies him staying in the line up.

Because I've watched every game he's played this season, Draper has been the worst foward this season. I don't think him even being a top face off man justifies him staying in the line up.

Ahhh yes it does, actually.

Draper's face-off dominance is absolutely critical to the Wings' style of play. You can't be a puck possession team if you're not winning more face-offs than your opponent.

Add to that the fact that Draper's still extremely fast and is at worst 'above average' defensively.

Maltby, on the other hand, has far less use than Draper. I'd rather give Downey a shot over Maltby, assuming Downey is going to play as well as he did last time he was called up to Detroit.

Drapes has just lost his offensive touch. He's in the twilight of his career and now fulfills only a few certain purposes. THere is nothing wrong with this. He's still a defensive forward and great at winning faceoffs. He's in.

Frankly, I think Kopy is out. The guy missed th eplayoffs last year and we won, further proving my point that he is useless. After that, it all depends on performance. If Maltby (or even Helm) has a bad run, Leino is up to replace them.

It should be obvious to all informed wing fans that these two will make us a superior playoff contender.I recently saw the Griffins play,and Helm was just outstanding,in all aspects of the game.(Leino was a heathy scratch)

Who will Babcock sit,trying not to disrupt team chemistry,but add another dimension for the playoffs?

Will it be Maltby,who has been uninvolved,but usually steps it up in the playoffs?

Could it be Draper,who's defensive assets have come under scrutiny,but can take a faceoff,and wears the "A" at times?

Or is it Kopecky,the easy choice,but I feel has recently elevated his game,and did miss last years playoffs?

I really think it's Osgood that Darren's replacing. I heard Helm put the pads on once when he was 10 and stopped a beachball, hence the move.

leino shall play in the playoffs he had 9 points in 13 games from a fourth line player. he also had a barrel of intense goal scoring fun. he was the greatest player in finland last year for a reason maybe the hockey gods meant for us to have our next legend be leino when they sent fabian brunnstrom to dallas

Ahhh yes it does, actually.

Draper's face-off dominance is absolutely critical to the Wings' style of play. You can't be a puck possession team if you're not winning more face-offs than your opponent.

Add to that the fact that Draper's still extremely fast and is at worst 'above average' defensively.

Maltby, on the other hand, has far less use than Draper. I'd rather give Downey a shot over Maltby, assuming Downey is going to play as well as he did last time he was called up to Detroit.

I agree with your take on Draper and how the team plays. But there's no way Downey can come close to being the very large pesky gnat on the ice that Maltby is. I still say he plays his role, especially on frustrating opponents trying to bring the puck up ice, often making them lose the puck in the process. Both he and Draper shine at that.

I really think it's Osgood that Darren's replacing. I heard Helm put the pads on once when he was 10 and stopped a beachball, hence the move.

Then again, when you can stop laughing at your own sad jokes, why don't you just volunteer to offer your services in net during Wings' practices? I'm sure they can use your physical expertise too.

I understand loyalty and veteran leadership but Maltby, McCarty and Chelios shouldn't even be talked about on this roster. We are to the point now where we are coddling older veterans because its the right thing to do rather than playing the best young talent to give us a winning shot. I understand the cap kept many of these young guys down all year but its time to bring some of them up and give ourselves a chance. The team looked much stronger with Helm and Leino, nice to see some young guns with some jump in their game. We need some of that jump when we start playing for the cup. I also understand Downey is a fan favorite and a fighter but I'm not impressed with our game when he is in the line-up. Everyone talks crap about Sammie but he usually comes up big when we need him...I'm just not sure what to think of Cleary, take him or leave him.

I have to agree that the Wings can be loyal to a fault,but I would take Cleary over Sammy anytime,especially in the playoffs,when he steps it up.

In any case,Helm and Leino in for Draper and Maltby makes this a much better team.

Anyone else see WXYZ news tonight?

They were telling about Draper's injury, saying how the Wings were up to there secretive injury tactics again. They showed a clip of Draper practicing today and said he appeared fine out there. Then they talked to Babcock who said he won't be ready for games 1 or 2. Then they talked to Draper and he said that he can't talk about it, and it would be best if they didnt ask more questions. He seemed kind of ticked off to me.

Me thinks that Draper is benched for some reason. How can they be so accurate on the timeline of Draper's return? He was practicing with the team, and he seemed ticked off about the whole deal.

But I wouldn't think that a guy like Draper would be benched for the playoffs with everything that he brings to the team, even if he hasnt been on top of his game.

Then again, when you can stop laughing at your own sad jokes, why don't you just volunteer to offer your services in net during Wings' practices? I'm sure they can use your physical expertise too.

Burn. I feel so humiliated because some chick with Osgood blinders doesn't think I'm funny.

If you don't like it, ignore me and stop bitching about it. I suggest the same strategy for your cramps and bloating.